Posted: Jan 29th 2009 12:38PM Idle said

What's the big deal? A crazy-arsed, half nekked dwarf hell bent on suicide and wreaking havoc all over the place and you ask what's the big deal?

I'm pretty excited. I think you're correct in that it'll address some population imbalances. A lot of folks will be rolling one.

I can't wait to roll up into the Dwarf starting zone and see an ocean of orange mohawks on release day. If it's anything like the last event, there will be entire scenarios with nothing but Slayers and Choppas going at it toe to toe.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 12:51PM (Unverified) said

Choppa ... Love the Warhammer Orc however like DPS over Tank. The Greenskin gods have answered my call!

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 1:21PM Jesspiper said

It's cool they finally added the Slayer. It took bloody well long enough. Having him in the cinematic but not in the game was just plain retarded. Still though, adding two classes to the game isn't going to change much. It's kinda like worrying about deck chairs on the Titanic.

Getting me to re-sub to WAR would take a lot more than two resurrected classes. Completely removing the WoWish Scenarios from the game altogether would be what it would take for me to re-sub. Mythic needs to go back to their DAoC roots: 3 sides with zoned RvR warfare. They constantly brag about how they had the best PvP system ever, yet there is hardly a shadow of it in WAR.

The two sided scenario bullshit reeks of Horde v.s Alliance Battlegrounds. Warhammer is about multiple armies crashing en masse on the fields of battle. Not multi-ethnic teams who normally despise eachother suddenly holding hands and going head to head against another multi-ethnic team who normally despise eachother in small, sports-like match ups.

So, really what's the big deal? Two new classes does nothing to change the game from being a Warhammer lore-breaking, WoW PvP rip-off with little to no DAoC roots.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 4:37PM (Unverified) said

Ive been playing WAR since early beta and I am still currently subscribed. I'm starting to rethink my current MMO of choice now with this round of hype.

There are currently huge issues with Tier 4 RvR that need to be addressed. People are now calling it RVE as the whole feel of PVP is being sucked from the game. Warbands of players dodging one another on the battlefield so they can pickup those extra renown points at the next BO/Keep.

So what does Mythic do to address this issue? Build a huge PR campaign around the addition of 2 classes that were SUPPOSED to be in the game on RELEASE.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 7:55PM (Unverified) said

The problem with the game is not the class selection, it's that there is no endgame besides pve gear grinding (how original) and the pvp is stale and uninteresting (and the reward for being really good at it is pve gear grinding). These look like great classes, the problem is that there's not much of a game to play them in.

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 3:34AM (Unverified) said

"no endgame besides pve gear grinding"

I see this complaint in pretty much all mmo's.

I've never seen a realistic and constructive idea for an alternative, though.

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 4:44AM (Unverified) said

I ijust load my account for two months then quit the game. The problem with the game itself is the balance between the two factions. I'm speaking of the coolness appearance. First time I played I made a destro Zealot coz I really wanted to play support then can also attack at the same time. Like with my previous mmo like Ritualist in Guild Wars & Shadow Priest in WoW. And Zealot is so cool! Then I rolled into Order because all my friends are in Alliance and the coolness of the game stop their for me. The counter-part of Zealot is not intriguing for me. A dwarf that heals? I don't want to be a dwarf in the first place. An elf that looks like a hippie with a dull face? Give me a break, so I rolled as a Shadow Warrior. Still the animations is not even par with previous mmo's I played. With the point-blank morale skill animation like shooting a free-throw in basketball made it even worst and I'm paying to play that kind of qualit, no thanks.

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 5:04AM (Unverified) said

Look, I have no problem playing a dwarf in a game, I also play them but in different game like Waracrft III: Frozen Thrones mod map DotA. Characters like Dwarven Sniper "Kardel" or gnome Davion Knight. But playing as a dwarf for long haul is different, especially if your dwarf is not as cool as what Blizzard does with their dwarfs.

Special tip for anyone wants to play warhammer online, play destruction side, period. Orders side is dull.

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 6:52AM (Unverified) said

The BIG problem with Warhammer?

The game thrives on cycles of "hype". but it doesn't have enough gameplay value.

As for PvP, I have to laugh, since Wrath of the Lich King there is far MORE world PvP in the end game of Wow than anything resembling in War.

On my server we have a least 3 to 4 massive battles EACH DAY with around 3 full raids against each other. That's 100 against 100 or more. Add the mobile tanks, catapults and destructable castles (at least we can demolish them just like in Warcraft3) and Wow beats the world PvP of War in every inch ... of gameplay value.

Not even talking about the 5 Bg's and 5 Arena settings.

And that's what's it all about: gameplay and CHOICES.

Another class, while the end game isn't even finished. How much hype of thin air do you need ?

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 7:30AM (Unverified) said

You are ignoring the fact that WAR is more "war" than "PvP". We don't have timers telling us when we can fight or where we can fight, the world is open to go where we want, when we want. It's not a game, it's a war.

Posted: Jan 30th 2009 11:24AM (Unverified) said

"The *endgame* is a war, and unlike WoW we actually have real players trying to stop us from reaching that goal. They are a little harder than scripted encounters."

Yeah...when you can find them.

Posted: Jan 31st 2009 12:15AM (Unverified) said

If Mythic doesn't fix T4 soon, there isn't going to be anybody left in the endgame to fight with. Nearly everyone who spends the time it takes to finish T4 quits or re-rolls instead of continuing to attempt to ignore: the bugs of fortress battles where casting thru walls and floors ruins the encounter completely, the imbalance of scenarios frequented by full groups of 40s wiping the floor with any mixer/PUGs who are unfortunate enough to end up on the other side...the list goes on and on. Too bad, because the game ROCKS until you make it to the endgame.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 5:51PM kompulsive said

Give it time people. Think about how young WAR is compared to an MMO like WoW. Personally, I am not a fan of WoW, but it has been around for about 5 years and they are still fixing it. I've been waiting a long time for the Slayer to come back and I can't wait to roll one, but I can't say I'm looking forward to the loads of people that will be rolling one alongside me. Hey, if it sparks more interest in the game then it's fine with me!

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant