Posted: Jan 28th 2009 11:31AM Abriael said

Tanking is supposed to be a little like an art. To hold aggro (or to keep it low) is one of the few little things that require a bit of skill in PvE in most MMORPGs. Adding a meter trivializes the tank role immensely, making it just another simple matter of reacting to a number.

Horrible idea.

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 11:49AM (Unverified) said

I totally agree. As a DPS/off-tank player half the battle is watching to see when aggro breaks and waiting for the mob to suddenly notice the guy throwing healing spells around...

Like you say, now it's just about watching a meter...

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 5:52PM wjowski said

Hiding your mana/hp/exp totals in EQ1 was stupid then, and hiding your aggro level in the MMOs of today is stupid now. As far as I'm concerned this is just yet another archaic convention that I'm glad to see being gutted.

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 11:56AM (Unverified) said

This is why I don't play MMORPGs anymore, and if I start again, it will likely be EQ1. All MMORPGs are trying to hold your hand and baby you, there is no sense of adventure or danger anymore. Immersion is totally gone.

I miss my corpse runs, I miss having to run 5 zones or having to find someone to port me and I miss having to find groups and interacting with strangers/meeting random people. Just doesn't happen anymore, and it's sad, these are things that I loved about MMORPGs.

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 12:15PM (Unverified) said

Try Age of Conan.

I can't believe I'm recommending that game to somebody... But if you like punishingly tough games you may enjoy it. If "enjoy" is the right word... :)

For a less arse game, try Lord of the Rings Online. It treads a middle-ground where, yeah, it's rewarding in the short-term and isn't too tough on you but at the same time, to get places you do need to fight through Mobs and you will spend a fair while running around.

I'm currently delving through Moria and it IS a challenge, as there's something nasty round every corner and you do genuinely play on your back foot, ready to be swamped at any time...

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 12:47PM (Unverified) said

It's astonishing how many ways developers find to suck all the wonder out of a game. Surprise and uncertainty are some of the biggest keys to fun and excitement. Seems like any game designer should know that instinctively.

Oh well, congratulations to SOE on moving their game one step closer to Accounting Online: the Metering.

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 12:57PM (Unverified) said

I wonder how long it will be until this appears in WoW... ;)

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 5:32AM (Unverified) said

And what's also funny is SCE (the PS chaps) always claim "transparent interfaces are totally Next Gen."

They want players to not rely on artificial gauges and meters, so health meters are a no-no and you should read your character's health from the way he limps or how wounded he appears.

Then SOE introduce a whopping-great HUD element that's totally contrary to what I just said.

I appreciate it's apples and oranges when it comes to PC and console gaming but some things DO translate, interface design being one of them...

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 5:49PM Mr Angry said

Apparently SOE are introducing limited use tokens that reset the Threat Meter's, which can be bought from the Station Cash store, so that's great news for raiders :)

Posted: Jan 28th 2009 7:08PM ultimateq said

So its basically Omen: EQ2 Style? Fantastic.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014