Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:35AM Haggs said

Wow. That does sound like a fun class to play. If I ever check out FFXI, I know what class I'll be playing.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:50AM Angelworks said

Make sure you read up on how long it takes to level ;).

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 11:11AM organiclockwork said

What he said. FFXI has great ideas insofar as their classes and missions and such go, but leveling up is like masturbating with a burlap sack over your hand.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 11:21AM Angelworks said

Best analogy ever :).

Yeah I have a friend who plays it - he has a level capped character (I can't remember which class) but he regales me with stories of bosses that take 4-8 hours to down - which I think is a bit much if you have anything reselmbling a life.

As I recall it took him 2 and a half years to reach level cap and he does nothing but play the game :(.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 11:28AM fanguad said

It's not as bad as that, but it's not trivial to get to level cap like in more recent games. Part of that is that FFXI was designed when hardcore grinding was all the rage, part of that is due to the fact that FFXI is 99% PvE. That changes the dynamics quite a bit, since you don't have to be max level to participate in many events.

Another thing to consider is that changes over the years have made FFXI considerably more solo- or small group-friendly. You'll still need help to get to 75, and it will still take you a while.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 2:42PM Dblade said

What the article doesn't mention is that corsair is also a strong damage dealer through use of its hexagun, both for high-damage attacks and weaponskills, and for elementally charged cards that can strengthen enfeebles already on the enemy, or dispel buffs on mobs and sleep them.

It's not just a buffing class, but a very powerful hybrid one which can do quite a few things in party.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 12:40PM Seraphina Brennan said

Sorry about that... I ran out of room in the feature. XD

But yes, the hexagun and quick draw is another great reason. Loading elementally charged cards into the barrel of the gun, and then firing is crazy. :D It has six barrels of awesome!

Also, you have the level 75 merit skills for corsair, which allow you to divert your luck a bit. Fold allows the corsair to either remove one of their own buffs (if it was a bad buff) or remove a bust. Snake Eye allows the corsair to pull an ace from their sleeve during their next die roll, making the number a 1. This allows you to bump off of an unlucky number or bump a 10 up to 11.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 3:04PM (Unverified) said

Oh god damnit. I've stayed away from the game for two years now. Don't pull me back in.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 12:00PM (Unverified) said

I don't say very many good things about FFXI...but that sounds really cool. I always did have a thing for Setzer.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly