Posted: Jan 26th 2009 8:29AM (Unverified) said

I'm an engineering grad student that runs very processor (but not memory) intensive simulations, and I need a videocard from the future to display my results. Fortunately the equipment is paid for from my research grant, and it also tends to work out quite well for gaming :)

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 9:01AM nomoredroids said

My rig is a beast; fully custom-built, and it cost less than half as much as the grossly overpriced and under-powered Alienware. Before that, however, I was playing Guild Wars and WoW on my good ol' 1.5 ghz Pentium 4 HP laptop with a whopping 508 RAM - I don't really know how that happened, and WoW:tBC didn't like that I was 4 Mb short on my memory. If I was lucky I'd end up with 24-28 FPS. :/ I hated Orgrimmar.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:09AM karnisov said

Alienware used to be top quality when they first started, unfortunately getting bought out by Dell made them more profit and less quality focused. Building your own is always the best though, you always know exactly whats inside the box and there is a certain level of satisfaction when you self build.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:03AM karnisov said

I custom build my own, aim for high-mid range, and expect it to last about 3 years. I'm going to start looking into silent cooling setups though as fans are getting more annoying as I get older.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:12AM Idle said

A custom built rig with full neon and enough fans to cool a small condo. Despite the fans, it's whisper quiet. It'll play anything on the market without batting an eye.

I played on old equipment built from scavenged parts for most of my life. I finally stepped up and built the machine of my dreams.

If you don't have the funds to aim for top end, you can build a really, really good machine for around $750 if you pick your parts wisely. Use the configurators over at Xtreme Gear (google it) to design your system and they'll build it for free.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:22AM (Unverified) said

I don't have the tech skills to build my own. That said, I expect to buy a rig, and it last me minimally, 3 years. I don't use my PC for music or movies. Almost exclusively for gaming, the internet, email, and photoshop. I rarely run much else.

I just bought a new rig in July. I went through Vigor. It was a little more expensive, then say ibuypower, but the quality is there.

I don't upgarde often, but I will "as needed".

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 10:41AM Nadril said

The past few years I've ran with my own built machine, but finally I decided to get a laptop. The reason being is that I go back and forth from college a lot, and I like having my computer with me. It was a pain in the ass to move around a desktop.

The laptop is damn good though.

Core2duo 2.23ghz, 9800M GTS 1GB, 4GB DDR3 ram, 320GB HD and a 1920x1200 resolution 17" screen (although I use my 22" screen mainly).

Should be able to handle anything I throw at it for a few years. Already can play crysis on highs. Best part is I got it for $1,000.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 11:00AM (Unverified) said

Built a rig earlier this year, mainly cause I was sick of bad fps in WoW, and wanted to play WAR nicely. I also wanted to enjoy never games like fallout 3 and Dead Space at full settings ;) So, i built a computer that should last me 2-3 years with only minor upgrades.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 1:39PM nomoredroids said

hahaha I did the SAME THING.

Fun fact: I don't play WAR anymore.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 11:04AM Jesspiper said

Not top of the line by any means, but my PC is twice as powerful than any of the recommended system requirements of my games, which is what matters in the end.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 1:44PM (Unverified) said

Well I dont think that the hardware requirements of LOTRO are that much higher than WOWs. I think that is a missconception. Sure WOW will run well on a low end machine on medium settings, but it will look just as bad as LOTRO will look at low settings on the same machine. However anyone with a half way OKis system will be able to enjoy far superior graphics in LOTRO.
That said, I have multiple systems actually. I use them for both work and entertainment. All of them are self built, besides the two laptops me and my wife use personally (self building laptops is not efficient money wise due to the barebones being to expensive).
Anyway got Core2Q9550, 8GB, Geforce 9600GT 1GB (yes the 1GB dont make much sense for games, but for work I need it).
Core2Duo 2.1Ghz, 3GB, Geforce 7600,
PentiumD 820 (2,8Ghzx2), 2 GB, Geforce 6600GT
Acer 9504 WSMI: Pentium M 2 Ghz, 1GB, ATi X700 256MB.
This Laptop runs both LOTRO and WOW at about the same Frames/sec with the same lagging in populated areas, but LOTRO looks signifficantly better while doing so ;)

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 5:09AM (Unverified) said

AMD 3.1Ghz X2
2 gigs ddr2 800
ATI 4870 1gig ram

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 5:59PM (Unverified) said

Massivelyguy#1: "Man how do we get more people to post on our discussion threads?"

Massivelyguy#2: "Hrmm well we could always compare WaR to WoW that gets em worked up."

Massivelyguy#1: "Naw weve done that to death, maybe a DRM discussion?"

Massivelyguy#2: "No real DRM in mmo's though, hrmm...."

Massivelyguy#1: "OH! I know! What is the single best way to get internerds comparing there E-peen...?"

Massivelyguy#2: "...let them brag about how much they wasted on their computers! Brilliant! Nice, now we can get back to talking about Eve!"

Hehe just ribbing ya! ;)