Posted: Jan 24th 2009 2:29PM Holgranth said

Not being an expert on console gaming I am not sure if console based mmos are going to suceed or not. The biggest thing I see being a problemis that many console gamers would rather pick up a totally different game than subcribe to one continualy. With the exception on people who have ONE game only most console gamers I know spend a few weeks with one game then toss it on the shelf and go buy another.

Patching is another thing that could be problematic for console MMO developers as was pointed out.

I'm very interested so see where console mmo's go, I don't think it will ever eclipse PC mmo's but I could be dead wrong. How many people here would jump ship to an Xbox or PS3 mmo over PC based I wonder?

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 4:29PM (Unverified) said

The first and pretty much only console MMO up to now, FFXI which has been around for a really long time, has done pretty well I would say.

It's not like this is a new idea.

IMHO, it's whether or not western MMO companies will be any more capable of making an MMO that actually works on console because they sure can't do it on PC.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 3:02PM Holgranth said

You do have a point there Warcraft comes with a Made In China sticker dosen't it? Warhammer was made in India, EVE in Mongolia, LOTRO was developed primarily by monks in Tibet.

I'm making the list guessing that you hail from Soviet Russia where the game plays you?

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 4:28PM (Unverified) said

Vanguard, AoC, Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, EQII, SWG, PotBS, The Matrix, DDO, AC2....TCoS...

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 4:56PM (Unverified) said

That's kind of a rediculous statement you make there, torak. Look at how many more MMO's are made in Korea, Japan and China that are absolutly abysmal. For every one failed western MMO there are at least five failed eastern ones.

I'd also like to note that Vanguard has a decent, happy playerbase, and AoC is nowhere near failed yet. In fact, most people going back to AoC or that never left are speaking very highly of it. Not to mention FFXI, which I'm assuming you think of as a smashing success, NEVER had an outstanding player base. The only truly notable easten MMO's have been Lineage 1 & 2, which are attrocious grindfests.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 5:27PM Holgranth said

"Yeah I got a soft spot for ol' Vanguard. It's a decent game but still needs improvement, fortunately it has been going in a good direction for awhile now.

Its to bad it didn't have a good launch, things would be totally different if it had."

Your own quote from a while back about Vanguard which heads your little list there........

Posted: Jan 25th 2009 12:55AM (Unverified) said

Holgar,
That doesn't change the fact it was a turd at launch. :)

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 3:04PM Abriael said

Being a console gamer as well, personally i doubt that console MMOs will ever be a major hit unless there's a solid PC version to provide a costant userbase.

The reason is pretty simple. The console market is much more fast paced and filled of AAA titles than the PC one. The thypical console gamer is used to finishing a game quick and moving to the next (maybe selling the former at gamestop) just as quickly. MMO need costant and long-lasting dedication that is pretty alien to the console gaming market.

While FFXI was born as a console game, the majority of it's sales were on PC, expecially in the west (in europe it didn't even get a PS2 version and in the US it got it much later). If it didn't have a PC version I doubt it would have had the success it had. Not even nearly.

Now, expanding the market of a PC based MMO to consoles is, instead, a very good idea, but a console only MMO is a no no.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 9:40PM (Unverified) said

The biggest problem with console mmo's is navigating the interface with the controller. Also as updates come out for the game eventually harddrive space becomes limited especially when the folks at Funcom want to release Age of Conan for Xbox and you've got people that still have the old 20g xbox's I dont even know if it could hold that game.

Really, the only upside of a console mmo is that everyone playing has the same hardware specs.