Posted: Jan 24th 2009 3:31PM Holgranth said

Usually I wait untill I truely am completely shot of a game to skip over but lately I've begun to become more nomadic. I took a brief stint to WAR before
Wrath found it to be much less than I hoped and have nursed a (Possibly slightly irrational) hatred of it for months now. With my guild recently disbanding I'm considering going back IF Mythic releases the hinted Dwarf Slayer and it is HALF well designed. Big IF on both of those IMO.

My usual solution for burnout is turn off game, go outside. But when I am seriously burned out with raids/pugs ect I usually go hide on an alt preferably on a pvp server somwhere.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 4:43PM Temploiter said

The problem with all the current crop of theme-park MMOs is that there isn't much to do except ride the rides again once you've been through them.

The solution isn't to give more reasons to ride the same rides over and over, it should be to allow players more of a sandbox to go off and do their own thing.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 5:35PM Allegos said

I haven't felt engaged by WotLK at all, and it's telling to me that you'd rather do "old world" content ad nauseum than play on the new treadmill in Northrend yourself.

I hate to think that by the time the next WoW expansion hits, we'll all be looking back at Wrath as having been a failure, but that's the direction in which it seems to be heading. Giving casual players nothing to do but join raiding guilds and arena teams hasn't improved the quality of the raid or PvP experience, and it hasn't made the game more casual-friendly, either.

I'm licking my chops to get a Free Realms beta key. I'm awfully curious to see the impact that the free-to-play business model has on game design. There's no business incentive to waste your time with antifun if they aren't in the business of selling you time.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 6:57PM Minofan said

Well, to be honest, I DON'T keep going anymore - that's why I don't have any active MMOs besides some casual Guild Wars now.

Like Temploiter said, there really isn't much scope for sandboxing in the current generation - plus I can't even remember the last meaningful non-linearity I experienced in an MMO.

I do try initially to get into all those handcrafted text windows, but when it comes right down to it in WAR, WoW, AoC, CoH and company the only option you ever have available is to say "accept" and follow the glowing arrow.
Even the text tends to meld into one after a while, since your 'character' is entirely defined at character creation : Destruction/supervillain/whatever = 1,000 pages of "mwa ha ha!" while Order/superhero/whatever = 1,000 pages of "boo hoo, save me!".

Guild Wars has only lasted me so long because the Primary Attributes & skillbar system make different characters actually play differently - and when my brother is in the mood to play too that presents a whole host of very different team dynamics.

I'm optimistic for a few games on the horizon though :

* CoH mission creator.
* Champions Online, for action at least and hopefully non-linearity.
* The Old Republic, which sounds to be a whole lot of 'theme-park ride' adventures rolled into one game.
* Guild Wars 2 ! Next year though...

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 7:05PM (Unverified) said

In everquest 1, i camped the halfling mask for 6 weeks, average of 6 hours a day...

Everyone thought i was nuts, but it felt so good once i looted that silly thing.

Keep it up, personal goals are all that is left for most of us in mmos these days.

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 9:40PM (Unverified) said

We had a guy in guild the other day get his first Strat achievement and also get the mount in one run. I had heard they upped the drop rate, not sure if that's true but keep it up dude at the very least you can make good money off the runs!

Posted: Jan 24th 2009 9:47PM Angelworks said

They did up the drop rate - used to be 1 in 5000, now its 1 in 100.

Took me 64 times exactly post 3.0 patch to get it - prior I ran the instance over 300 times.

Posted: Jan 25th 2009 3:32AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I rather do 10.000 runs on Baron Rivendare than set ONE foot again in those pathetic low cost and ugly developped shit games of what is supposed to be ...."Wow's competition".

One more minute of War, Lotro, AoC, TR, Vanguard, ... you name makes me turn my stomach.

Yes they are that bad.

A pity we only have ONE Fantasy MMORPG anymore that's worth playing.

But the good thing these games blow themselves up. Waiting for D3 and the next MMO from Blizzard, but very happely playing Wow for 4 years now and regretting every minute I tried those total failures above

Posted: Jan 25th 2009 6:30AM (Unverified) said

A pity we only have ONE Fantasy MMORPG anymore that's worth playing.

---

Yes, but it's not WoW. It's LOTRO.

Posted: Jan 25th 2009 8:26AM Wgraves said

pod-kills.... the juices are delicious.

and well worth the grind to afford the ships.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 7:19AM (Unverified) said

A couple things keep me going.

1) Leveling. When that runs out...

2) Crafting mania, then...

3) Building gold.

4) Lastly, I build alts.

5) Probably the biggest thing is breaks. I have taken 1-6 month breaks from every MMO I have played, multiple times. I always come back refreshed. It also give you perspective because you reflect on it differently when not playing. The only one I have gone back to ("permanently") is LOTRO. It was the only MMO that compelled me. Too many people overlook LOTRO.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 9:26AM (Unverified) said

Got burned out on my main on the regular server. I've always like RP, so I rolled up opposite faction on an RP server and have been having a *blast*. Whoever said there's no room for sandboxing obviously hasn't tried RP servers. :D Or a good one, anyway.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 9:39AM (Unverified) said

I know exactly what you mean with this article. Well put across point.

I think so many people have experienced this fatigue with Wow because it was so engaging and had so much content to offer. But after a point, that content becomes such a grind that it is really a second job.

I experienced repetitive runs and obsession with Wow over the 2 years I played it. Great game but once you reach the end game the only way to progress is to become obsessed and at that stage it isn't much fun anymore!

Having played War since release I am enjoying it. The pick up and play nature means I can enjoy it at every level and not feel like I have to devote every night to it. If you're single, happy staying in with few life committments then obsession is fine... if somewhat unhealthy! I think War hits a good balance for me for that reason and so much of it is excellent!

Even with the new content Wow just doesn't stimulate me, knowing without devoting huge swathes of time to it, I won't be able to compete.

Lets not confuse skill with time spent playing... I can pick up most multiplayer shooters and do well enough.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 10:46AM (Unverified) said

I've been grinding for Deathcharger since August. Usually 3-4 runs a night after the raids/instances or what have you. Most times 1-2 people will come along looking for AD rep or just to wind down.

In that time, with close to 500+ runs I've never seen Deathcharger drop.

With the xpac our guild's best paladin switched over to a Death Knight and quickly ground his way up to 80 for our raids. Along the way I dragged him through Strat I don't know how many times.

For Christmas I went hope to visit family. While I was gone the DK went to Strat to farm up some Runecloth. He kills the Baron and...

"Cool! Deathcharger dropped!"
"Oh geez. D's going to kill me."

Still farming. Still no drop. Cruel, cruel, Blizzard.

Good luck all.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 12:27PM (Unverified) said

That's funny 'cause a DK friend of mine got the Deathcharger too. Maybe it just has a higher drop rate for DK's....god that would suck.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 10:47AM (Unverified) said

What kept me going with WoW are probable some of the same reasons in the above article. Also trying to grind as much gold as i could. ( I had amassed a grand total of 162,000g ) But even after getting everything I wanted and all the Naxx welfare epics, I ended up canceling the account. There was simply nothing left. No content, tons of bugs and I just couldnt handle going back into Naxx and falling asleep anymore. Blizzard is famous for promises and extremely late on delivery. So on my final day of WoW, Feb 20th 2009, I will be standing in Iron Forge and handing out 162,000g to players I deem worthy of a helping hand. And I will more than likely allow a select few to roll for my character and I will hand it over as well.

Posted: Jan 27th 2009 12:29PM (Unverified) said

I don't really think you can blame anyone but yourself for that. It's a HUMONGOUS time commitment to get that rediculous amount of gold. Anytime you spend that much time doing that much repetitive stuff you're going to get burnt out. One of my last acts in WAR was trying to get one of the "kill 1000 of x" achievements, only to realize I didn't hate myself that much.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 3:21PM (Unverified) said

I have run Baron 10 times since 80. Two mounts, one epic sword. A shame, really. I wanted to do some quests for my Loremaster title, so having to go into Baron's room, or kill Ramstein, I figured he should die as well. I never expected to see any of it drop. Now I have an "Already known" Baron mount in my bank, and an unequippable sword (shaman). I am longing for a title of "Baron" for owning these items. /sigh

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM