Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 8:19AM DaBruuzer said

Definitely on life support. Better to have some of what you love than to have only memories.

I still miss Earth & Beyond, and there was no reason for EA to have shuttered it. Many E&B fans would still be playing to this day, even though no new content would have been added since EA ate Westwood and then shut it down.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:51AM BaronJuJu said

I'm with you Dab, I miss EnB and enjoyed the game play. I think EA made a mistake by dumping it and just keeping the CnC line going. It was definitely a different take than the constant fantasy setting.

Mostly, I just want my Jenquai Explorer back :P

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 8:26AM Platypus Man said

If we're talking about Tabula Rasa, the answer is definitely life support. Especially since the game had been worked on since release and had become far more enjoyable - although for me personally, it had been fun from the start.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 8:55AM Angelworks said

From what I understand the big problem with TR was that it had 25k subscribers and a massive server infrastructure. When I was working on a client/server application (made by Adobe no less - I'll let you guess what it is - its still available) - the profit margin was just starting at 25k per month - and we had a very very small server footprint compared to these MMO's.

I don't think what they did was right, but what if the costs of even life support are more than what it brings in? Should a developer keep running a game if it costs them more money than it makes?

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:04PM jlong64 said

I would much rather see the title on "Life-Support". At least there is teh chance of the occasional patch/update but the world and friends we have would still be there.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

In a word no. You want them to survive so they can go on to make something hopefully even better.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 5:07PM cray said

I don't think this fair question to ask because it depends on a lot factors that players have no control over. Secondly you can't expect a company to continue to lose money.

Also I can't fathom a player willing to subscribe to a game that is not providing updates, especially when we continually see newer MMOs released every year.

The only way I see older MMOs surviving is for them to have very small subscription price (under $2 a month) or some other type of payment plan. Possibly free and supported by in-game ads.