Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:15AM Idle said

Ok, I'm opening a pool to see who can make the best guess as to the number of times the word 'failcom' is posted by the regular trolltards here on Massively.

Anyway, it's good to see they're learning some lessons and putting them to good use. This is actually the first I've heard of The Secret World. Time to do a little research.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:58AM Seraphina Brennan said

www.darkdemonscrygaia.com

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:27PM Idle said

Thanks for the link.

I read on Wikipedia that the game will use the same engine as AoC. This could be a good thing since they've had to put a lot of energy into it, I'd imagine, in fixing a lot of the issues with AoC. It'll likely be quite mature for the next adventure.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:20AM (Unverified) said

I think Funcom will be hard pressed to recive a lot of support or garner much positive attention for any game they release next. It'll have to be, bar none, one of the best games in history for them to counter the negtivity they've garnered.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:29PM Idle said

I'm afraid you're right. It'll take quite a bit to get past the bad press from the AoC release.

This will be a good opportunity for them to get back on track if they do things right.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:33AM archipelagos said

I think JP is pretty spot on. Age Of Conan is still a very bitter subject for a lot of people. Having said that, it's entirely possible that they have learned from their mistakes. The concept image shown is very interesting though and I will definitely be reading up on it. Good luck Funcom.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:39AM venekor said

• 1 heart
Change the name because the name "The Secret World" sucks.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 11:47AM archipelagos said

Had a quick glance at the website and the forums therein and it's got a mysterious cult-mystery vibe thing going. Even if the game is nothing like that, the solving puzzles and giving out little bits of artwork as a reward is a nice way to get people involved.

If it's a Lovecraft MMO consider me sold and pre-ordered.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:01PM Seraphina Brennan said

It's already mostly been confirmed as not a Lovecraftian game, but it will hit on the same types of themes.

Everyone's favorite concept art: http://www.itnewsonline.com/images/news/Funcom-The-Secret-World-5.jpg

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 2:41PM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't put it past Funcom that this will be a Lovecraft themed game since Conan was created by Robert E. Howard, who was a pen pal of Lovecraft.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 1:54PM archipelagos said

Ah well, I can always hope. The artwork you linked is pretty promising though, thanks!

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 3:01PM Kyoji said

Just make it fun!

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 5:22PM Nadril said

Perhaps now that Gaute or whatever has been fired they can start this one off right. The problem with AoC is it has some deeply rooted fundamental issues with it that really can't be fixed unless we saw an overhaul of the game completely.

They're going to have to do something wonderful to get over the complete and absolute failure Age of Conan was though.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 5:46PM (Unverified) said

To be fair, I do not believe AoC was under the creative direction of Tornquist, and thematically the game is entirely different; they apparently share the same engine, which I am told is very good, and based on Tornquist's previous games I am looking forward to an immersive world with a fascinating story behind it.

Posted: Jan 25th 2009 8:27AM (Unverified) said

Funcom has burned to many bridges with AoC and so I think it might be difficult for them to get players to try "the secret world" even more so since the masters of non-fantasty mmos, CCP, will be releasing World of Darkness in the coming years.