Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 8:30AM Idle said

When I played WoW, I pretty much limited myself to the PvE game. PvP was so painful it wasn't worth playing. It was all based on personal epeen and almost impossible for a part time pvper to compete. The system was just bad for the average player in both arenas and battlegrounds. It's like an exclusive club. The PvE was great, however, so I spent most of my time there.

Playing WAR, I spend the majority of my time doing RvR related stuff and I love it. The team based mentality is a wonderful change. Scenarios are lots of fun and the open RvR is intense and getting better while changes are made to improve it as Mythic learns more about the dynamics the players create based on how they use the system.

In WAR, I use PvE to fill in the gaps between RvR or, ocasionally, to simply take a break from it. It's a good balance for me.

I'm not trying to slag WoW, the focus of the game is simply different. PvP works for WoW if you're interrested in personal achievement and a big investment in PvP commitment over the average player. PvP works in WAR if you like running around with your friends and guildies and accomplishing things as part of a team.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:05AM DaBruuzer said

Funny you say that, as it is the exact same case for me. I have played many MMOs for years now, and generally hated the PvP in all of them. Filled with silly, immature idiots.

Then, at a friend's insistence, I gave WAR a try. I absolutely fell in love with that game's mix of ORvR, Scenarios and even the PvE content is pretty good. WAR turned me from a 100% PvE player into an 80% PvP (Well, RvR, as it is the team dynamic that makes it what it is) and only 20% PvE to fill in the lulls.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:17AM organiclockwork said

I third this. I'm a big fan of PvP in games that do it well. WoW did and does not. So I limit myself to PvE with casual PvP when I get bored. With WAR, I mix the two up. I think PvP is great when it's done right. It's a great conduit for roleplay, as roleplaying thrives off of conflict, and nothing fuels conflict more than killing one another. However, it's rare that a game truly does PvP well, which is something I'm hoping some future games change.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:24AM Lethality said

I played WAR until mid level-30s or so, and I am still at a loss as to why players think PvP in WAR is any different than PvP in WoW.

Especally in scenarios, it's the same zerg and lack of coordination you get in WoW.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:52AM (Unverified) said

lethality - "I think the WAR players are just trying to convince THEMSELVES that its different or better when its really not."

Or maybe they are just convinced, b/c you know... they like it? Why do you consistently have to "convince" them that it's not what they think it is? Get off the soap box, kiddo.

Just like you enjoy WoW for w/e reasons that I can't wrap my head around, I like WAR for reasons you don't understand. Neither one of us is right or wrong. So, stop trying to tell me how the game "is" b/c it's only how YOU see it.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:44PM Lethality said

Nah, you didn't read what I wrote. It's not about liking it or whatever, but people that somehow claim that WAR PvP is somehow different or better than WoW always seem to leave out the backup/reasons.

The reality is, it isn't any different or better. And there's really no argument that WoW's combat feel and tactile, visceral combat is better, so given that, why would a gamer choose the inferior product? If it's blind rage at Blizzard, then fine. But explain why. Not "I love WAR PvP compared to WoW". Fill us in as to why.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 1:01PM (Unverified) said

It doesn’t matter what reasons I give. You’ll just brush them off as “Not good enough reasons” or ironicy, “wrong”. But, for the humor of feeding your inability to just respect others’ opinions, here’s why I like WAR over WOW. Unlike your arrogance in every post, I’m not claiming WAR is better, but I’m claiming how it’s better FOR ME. Also, lolinferiorproduct.

1) WAR looks better
2) WAR has more validity in the progressiveness of the RVR campaign
3) All of WAR’s “end game raids” are completely based around the progressive RVR encounters
4) The focus of PVP is being driven from the beginning, in the launch of the game, and not being added afterwards.
5) The camaraderie of each faction, and the importance of unity is never over shadowed w/ any FFA PVP at all.

I have little experience w/ WOW. I took a shaman to level 26 or 27, and quit b/c I found it boring, cartoony, and uninspiring. That’s MY OPINION of WOW. The fucking game is a beast, and I would never say they aren’t doing something right, but just b/c my personal preference isn’t WOW, doesn’t mean I’ll bash it and anyone that plays it. Grow up.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 8:57AM Jesspiper said

I enjoy both. But I also hate the extremes of both. I love faction PvP and PvE exploration/questing etc, but I absolutely hate hardcore raiding and FFA PvP.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:48AM Samael said

Agreed, that is why I play LoTRO!

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 8:40PM Jesspiper said

Yeah man for sure. LOTR's PvP needs some work, but as far as faction-based PvP goes it's pretty fun and provides some of the most epic batles I've seen. Ironically moreso that DAoC or even WAR.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:02AM Boruk said

I am not a huge fan of PvP. One Reason I left WoW was because the Arena system they had was taking the casual part of it away. Lotro has an easy system to PvP with but even it isn't the greatest.

I am currently downloading WAR for a trial and will see how that pans out. If it is fun and makes the game rewarding, I might stay around.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:16AM (Unverified) said

As a PvE player WAR has some great PvE. The Tome of Knowledge and public quests both offer lots of fun. Take time and read the quest and PQ text .. and search for Tome unlocks. WAR offers some fun PvE. (IMO).

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:21AM Boruk said

Is it as casual friendly as people say it is? Say would I get something out of it if I only play for a hour a night?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:27AM Idle said

I believe it's very casual friendly. My daughter plays for an hour or so a day and she doesn't get bored. She's also leveling at a decent clip and concentrating a lot on tome unlocks.

Personally, it doesn't seem like a big grind. If you need 10 boar livers, go kill 10 boars. They all have livers! Who knew! Seriously, though. The questing isn't bad at all, exploration can reap rewards, and PQs are a lot of fun when a group is around.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:46PM Lethality said

WAR is very grindy, but that can be considered casual. You'll feel like you're grinding things before you get past level 10.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:58AM Jesspiper said

WAR's PvE is absolutely horrid. Only surpassed in crapiness by DAoC itself. Mythic's achilles heel has always, always been PvE. They couldn't do decent PvE if their lives depended on it. I guess that's what comes with being the best PvP developer of all time (closely rivaled by ArenaNet, imo).

But never, ever, ever expect any worthwhile PvE from a Mythic game. WAR included.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:02AM Wgraves said

pve funds pvp

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:15AM (Unverified) said

I subscribe to the 80/20 rule. 80% PvE and 20% RvR. I say RvR as WAR has the only "PvP" I enjoy.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:19AM archipelagos said

Generally speaking, I like both. What I like even more is the choice to choose either when I wish. I reject the idea that the development of all MMO's should ultimately go down a single path, that one style of play is "lesser" than another. Choice is everything and when you take that away people will ultimately go elsewhere, too.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 1:19PM (Unverified) said

I enjoy both PvP and PvE experiences for different reasons.

In PvE, a glance at your opponent’s level in comparison to your own will give you a rough idea of the challenge you face. If you are properly equipped and know the strengths and weakness of your class, the outcome should be in favour of the player. PvE in groups requires teamwork in order to be successful. Group dynamics introduces a degree of uncertainty to the outcome. The difference of levels, skill, experience, and even social skills of the players affects the outcome of battle, when grouped. This in itself, can be a good challenge and provide an exciting player experience.

In PvP, the outcome of a fight is not easily predicted. Your opponent may change tactics, be better equipped than you, or know that his friends are sneaking up behind you.
When PvP is done right, it can be exciting for both sides, and it can promote a great deal of teamwork, and strategy.

What I don't enjoy is when a game’s mechanics allows for 'griefing' - significantly higher level characters killing lower level characters (PCs or NPCs). This always seems to be the case on PvP servers