Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:38PM venekor said

• Half a heart
Tbh Blizzard will fix all these issues and they make such high quality content. It could be worse and this game could be made by SOE where their idea of a new dungeon is an empty room with a mob standing in it. Where bugs still exist from launch and are known problems but never get fixed and you'll probably get an NGE every few years LOL!

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:45PM (Unverified) said

also, the new launcher seemed to be hated by 70% of firewalls - because when you double-click it, it creates launcher.exe in the temp folder, and runs off that - supposedly as a anti-hacking measure, to make is harder to detect wow starting up / running warden.

A good idea in theory, but in practise firewalls don't like it when programs recreate and run themselves immediately.

Blizzard will fix things, but they seem to have kinda dropped the ball for a few weeks - celebrating christmas & new year a bit much, perhaps?

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:45PM (Unverified) said

It's simply a matter of money. Blizzard does not have enough to both fund all this great content, fix bugs and do QA.

I mean come on they only make $2,000,000,000 a year. Just how many developers do you think you can hire on such a tiny sum?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:50AM (Unverified) said

Good thing servers, bandwidth and support staff are entirely free, or they might have to spend some of that money on maintaining their data centres.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't okay, but can we get rid of this idea that their profit per month is subscribers * subscription fee.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:57PM (Unverified) said

Ok...
Lets assume they buy new servers every year (We know they dont) $100,000 for a enterprise server to run 1 realm. Hire a tech guy for every 3 realms, $25,000 per year per realm.
Power runs about $5,000 a year per realm.
Rack rental is about $10,000.
Bandwidth is $14 a meg per month in bulk. 50,000 players per realm (12,000,000 / 240 realms) At peak you should not see more then 1/10th on at any given time. So 5,000*10kbits= 50Megabits. 50x$14x12=$8,400 per realm per year.
Add in part of the cost for routers and switches (Many realms per router and switch) Guesstimate of $10,000 per realm.
Various personal say $150,000 (Rember this is 1/240th of the total)

Total cost per year $308,400
Supporting 50,000 players paying $8,970,000
Profit of $8,661,600 per realm
Total profit of $2,078,784,000 (Note this does NOT include box sales)

Now granted they must develop out of this $2Billion. But any development cost is done once for all 240 realms.
At best they are spending $100,000,000 a year on development. Heck WoW only cost about $50,000,000 to make in the first place.

Jump development as high as you like. They are still printing money.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:49PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad I don't play this game anymore. not that's a bad game I would just be going bonkers and screaming insults at Blizzard if I was.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:56PM LaughingTarget said

There never has existed an invincible product or company. All things are destined to fail. World of Warcraft is no exception and the recent performance is going to start the process.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:59PM (Unverified) said

I don't think that's really called for - every game goes through rough patches, and wow, let's admit, far better equipped to handle it than many other games.

I can remember people saying WoW would fail hard when servers became unstable soon after the release of BC. that was back when they had, what, 8 million subscribers?

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:59PM Anatidae said

But what will happen to the Murlocks!? You hater.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 11:07PM Spron said

Fear not, though. You'll keep paying your $15/month regardless of whether the game- after four years- is unplayable after a patch or not.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 8:23PM Nadril said

Aside from arena/wintergrasp being down currently my server has been a good bit more stable today, so far. Yesterday it was absolutely horrible though, ton of lag and random disconnects.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 8:23PM (Unverified) said

it appears ( to me ) that blizzard actually listened to to all the whines on the forums about fixes and buffs and rushed it through instead of the old it will go live when its done.

all the patches always have a few small problems or the odd big problem this one was rushed and has both.

i am happy to wait a extra week or 2 or even a month if i can play as intended just test it properly. also i wouldnt mind betting thier release schedule for patches and content played a small part in the rush to release 3.08 too

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 8:26PM (Unverified) said

You just *know* that if this happened to any other game -- especially WAR -- the comments posted here would have a completely different tone.

ps. I just UNsubscribed to WAR so I do not see how any rational person would consider me a WAR fanboi.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 8:26PM Holgranth said

No company or game is invulnerable to the occational shake up servers were REALLY bad right before wrath's release too.... my subcription used up yesterday and I haven't bothered renewing it might take a week or so to resub if things don't die down soon.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 5:24AM (Unverified) said

So not only did they release a half baked end game with the expansion but now the only new content they add more than two months after the expansion comes out creates more bugs and problems than it fixes?

Impressive for a company that makes a monstrous amount of money every month. I used to love World of Warcraft, but now it just seems to me to be milking all the money it can and not bothering with exciting new content. Very glad I quit, although I do miss the old days.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 7:44AM (Unverified) said

I don't really think a few bugs that'll be fixed in a week a "disaster" C'mon, let's be realistic here.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 9:24AM (Unverified) said

Unholy Death Knights have a glitch right now that causes their pet to become unsummonable. For a pet themed and oriented spec, this is nothing short of a disaster.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:28AM Evy said

So much doom and gloom! I played for several hours yesterday evening with no problems whatsoever. It wasn't a "disaster" for me. Naxxramas was lag-free and working perfectly fine for us. I enjoy WoW Insider, but that article bordered on the hysterical. Not everyone is suffering.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 11:19AM (Unverified) said

I'm kind of glad Arenas are shut down. I never felt it was truly a part of the game or even really belonged. It changed how the classes are balanced, which sometimes negatively affects PvE, and PvP in BG's and open world.

I suppose you could make the same argument about battlegrounds but at least it Horde vs Alliance in a setting that fits a story line.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 10:09PM (Unverified) said

1/23 6:30PM GAMETIME

Really, I wouldn't know. All three systems I have no longer access the Wow enviroment. It accepts the username and password.

What do I get? A link to a help support site about why I can't connect. It appears Blizzard realm servers are off the net.
| 1 | 2 |