Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:05AM (Unverified) said

I'll be interested to see how they can translate "action MMO" into something other than a button-bashing mess like AoC.

I really had high hopes for this game but the thoughts of it being twitchy in some way really make me wonder just how well it'll work...

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:55AM (Unverified) said

The #1 thing that turns me away from CoH is the shallow-ness of the missions and game experience: the game only has so many area maps, and only so many variations on missions, and by the time I was in the high 20s, the repetition really got my nerves.

So, I would say to Champions Online... missions. Innovate in that area. Look to WotLK and DDO for examples of games that continue to come up with interesting ways to challenge the players.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 12:50PM urgan said

What??!! If they look at and emulate WoW or DDO, then they just lost my subscription for good. Those games are not something I'm interested in (I got to level 70, then what?)
City of Heroes, on the other hand, I've subscribed to for 3 years now, and loved every minute.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 4:40PM (Unverified) said

@Brandon

How you can get to level 70 in WoW and ask "Then what?" is beyond me. There is PvP, there is end-game raiding, there are tons of quests to do. In CoH/CoV it was Hamidon. That was it. I've been gone 2 years from CoH, and I left due in large part to the very, very repetitive missions and level designs, and the fact that there was absolutely no end-game other than the one raid and some very unbalanced PvP. Hopefully they've added more by now. But WoW offered enough varied landscapes to make re-rolling something other than a chore, and there is so much end-game stuff to do, and if anything, the quests get more epic with level.

Never thought I'd ever see someone imply that CoH had more to do at the end game than WoW.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 11:40AM CCon99 said

I'm also concerned about many of the upcoming MMORPG's (emphasis on the RPG which many developers like Jack openly leave out on purpose anymore in favor of their coveted console market that may or may not exist). They're so worried about the console market they 'want', that they're forgetting about the MMORPG market they already have.

I keep seeing a lot of the marketing power words like "action", "fun", "exciting", but many of these games sell a lot of boxes, then they're dying out very quickly forcing server merges or even closing down a "fun", "exciting", "action" game in TR's case.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 2:17PM wjowski said

That would be because most of these games are neither 'fun' or 'exciting'...and in some cases they're 'an obvious beta'.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 2:41AM Kira Blaize said

I don't see anything wrong with a console MMORPG. Especially on the 360. Live has a ton of people already. Plus, a lot of people like being able to game without having to worry about system requirements and such.

I think this will fit nicely into the console market as well as the PC market.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 1:45PM (Unverified) said

yep, city of x does have that problem with missions but as bioware said story has been missing from mmo's. i still like to play it but still a lot of room for improvement.

now will cham or dc beat up city of x only time will tell it hard to compare a 1 month game with a 4 year game

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 6:49PM LaughingTarget said

Albeit I'm coming up with this conclusion from only three nights of preview play, Champions Online is no different than any other fantasy MMO, just with a different skin.

When I come into the game and immediately see my character dumped into a world where my main task is to beat up a bunch of guys milling about in a field, I'm immediately not impressed. Super heroes are more than just going out and punching things. There's a lot more depth to it. How about natural disasters like earthquakes or volcanoes? Getting together a balanced team to handle an instanced disaster, or much larger open one, would be a great deal of improvement over the whole "beat up enemies, that's all you're good for" angle.

There's just no creativity from what I'm seeing. Sure, the nemesis thing is cool, but that's a minor gimmick in an otherwise mundane game. Batman was far more than just hitting guys. He did far more effort in non-combat roles. Why can't we have an MMO that has that kind of aspect to it, especially a super hero MMO?

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:36PM (Unverified) said

agreed that would make a intresting mmo

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 11:36AM (Unverified) said

what could be better than Supers running around.. How about the exploring Wild West? ;p

Played closed and open Betas for CoH/CoV, and live up until last year. What made it grow stale for me was the lack of mission updates/variety, as well as the "grind the same map at a higher level" carousel.

Now if Cryptic's Champions can keep things fresh, then they'll have my money for another 5 years at least.