Posted: Jan 21st 2009 9:55PM (Unverified) said

There are very definitely pros and cons to this move. LL sounds like it is taking a shortcut towards easier product purchase, effectively sidestepping issues regarding the absolutely horrible search system that exists in-world at present, as well as traffic and bot concerns.

However, this move to acquire both has major implications as far as cutting out the two major providers of alternative purchase choices. People depended on the XStreet exchange for alternatives to LL's slow and restrictive L$ purchase/cash-out system.

On top of that, if the XStreet system is directly integrated with the client UI and continues to take premiums/commissions on product enhancements and overall sales, doesn't that mean LL will be taking even more revenue from the content creators, when we're already paying a considerable sum for what amounts to server space...?

I don't want to take a polarized viewpoint, but it's getting very difficult to see how this isn't creating a monopoly situation and stepping on residents and content creators alike in the process. Furthermore, LL's purchase of these two services sets the precedent that it can (and may) buy out a company or service it deems to be a threat. For others who provide similar services, what sort of motivation is there now for them to continue innovating and growing their business, when LL has demonstrated all it needs to do is buy out a competitor and force a deal?

It's hard not to look at this issue and not be incredibly pessimistic about it. Yet, seeing as how the decision has already been made and announced, what more can the Resident-base do? :(

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 11:49PM (Unverified) said

I am trying *really* hard to see the upside to this. However, I get this pit in my stomach.

First, it's never good to have an industry consolidation like this. It creates something of a monopoly. Monopolies are rarely beneficial to consumers OR merchants.

Secondly, LL doesn't exactly have a sparkling track record when it comes to managerial decisions. SLX and OnRez had their flaws. Under LL control, will those flaws be mended--or made worse?

Finally, how will this close-knit integration with the SL Viewer and website lock out other third-party competitors?

I'm trying not to let this move get me down, but it isn't easy!

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 10:44AM (Unverified) said

I'd like to thank everyone who supported SLBoutique from the start. It was a fun ride! I'm hoping that Linden Lab doesn't just throw away OnRez: there are a lot of features the Sheep (and I, previously) developed that were never created on XStreet.

More importantly, I can't wrap my head around why Linden Lab would ask OnRez users to spend thousands of person-hours manually migrating their data tediously rather than taking a few hours themselves to write a script. Migrating the accounts, items, transactions, images, and so forth would really not be too difficult, and make XStreet all the stronger. That's is really a kick to the teeth of the OnRez users. Here is hoping they change their thinking on data migration.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:26PM (Unverified) said

Flipper, I totally wondered about that same thing myself. It feels really really lazy to me that they didn't spend the time to write a script to migrate the info... I understand that it could be like shoving a square peg into a round hole, but it would have been the *right* thing to do. At least in my opinion.

I have my 100 products on both sites, and it urps me that OnRez is just going away completely. I have spent so much time tending to my stuff there through the years.

I've been with your site since it was SLBoutique. Actually I believe I joined SLB before SLX because at the time SLB was the more popular site back then. ;)

I would like the Lab to at least incorporate our own seller storefronts and ability to link our alts to single accounts. Those were the things I liked at OnRez that SLX never did.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 12:34PM (Unverified) said

OnRez will now be known as DeRez.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2009 10:13PM (Unverified) said

Allegedly, Tats, the staff from XStreetSL will become Lindens — Apotheus full-time, XStreetSL's support staff part-time.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014