Posted: Jan 21st 2009 7:04PM LaughingTarget said

Or do the WAR method, just cancel out every account immediately. This cuts into their operations and costs them $50 every time they want to announce their website. I've not seen a gold farm operation bug me for a long while now. It also helps that money in WAR is mostly useless, why buy it when you never have to worry about finances?

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 7:36PM wjowski said

In a gear-dependent MMO? Pretty much.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 7:55PM hami83 said

Of course it's inevitable. Any place real or not that includes greed and wants will involve real money.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 8:19PM Holgranth said

Thats like saying crime is inevitable, so we should do away with all laws and just let people shoot/rape/stab/steal from or otherwise violate anyone they like.

No we can't 100% truely stop it, but we can keep ahead of it and keep fighting it.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 11:41PM cray said

I agree with Holgar's comments. I would also add that gold farming is not something designers expected when they first started making RPGs and MMOs, so the phenomenon is still relatively new.

There have been quite few methods of reducing gold-farming, and as long as it exist there will continue to seek new ways to curb it.

Personally I think what needs to be made more aware to games is that farming itself is not something that should be encouraged, whether its gold or loot. I think farming should cause some serious negatives to character's stats. farming is equivalent to being a bandit or thug.

Let say I take my character and I farm about $200 worth of loot, my reputation would drop in the negatives and when I enter a city zone to cash in my loot my character will be attacked by guards because of my negative reputation.

I would also make it impossible to sell your loot (gold) to other players when your reputation drops in the negatives.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:07AM Holgranth said

Now THAT is a damn good idea for reducing repeditive farming! The problem is as long as you can transfer money from one account to another in an unbalanced manner there will be gold selling........

PS ty for the agreeance.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:17AM wjowski said

Or alternately, instead of punishing players for doing what they've been conditioned to do since the days of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, you could just make your game not revolve around loot and money, much like City Of Heroes before they brought out the Invention system.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:15AM Holgranth said

That is one of the good things I saw about Warhammer I have to admit.
More mmos need to adapt so your not feeling forced to buy gold. Allow players to upgrade without cash or use nontransferable currency or put in a system that only allows balanced trading. Theres lots of solutions out there to fight gold farming.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:31AM (Unverified) said

Is it wrong of me to be cynical about an economist arguing that game companies should start hiring an economist in a time when financial experts are starting to find themselves without jobs?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 2:00AM Graill440 said

There are >PLENTY< of ways to prevent gold farming completely. The facts are this, the mmo companies need subs, sure they will get rid of the few high profile farmers to placate the masses but with subs in the millions across the mmo industry they know they would be shooting themselves in the foot to get rid of all of them.

And like this post the MMO industry doesnt care about your opinion, only getting your money.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 1:14PM Greeen said

Reminds of Lineage2 - must have (is still?) the bot and farmer heaviest game I ever played where the company didn't seem to care. Did it help other than to piss off the honest players?

Another example that comes to mind are "aged" MMOs, say such as SWG or UO. The "vets" have accumulated so much wealth even without gold farmers, that one can start to talk about inflation. If you start from scratch there, you really can't do anything other than to blindly quest and ignore all other sandbox aspects because you simply can't afford them. Probably gold-farmers are to blame for that in part as well, then again, if you can afk-grind millions over night, why buy it? And a casual player wouldn't even think of grinding, yet alone afk grinding.

In the end it is as stated above, the companies simply want our cash. As long as the players don't whine too much, they won't really care about farmers. Usually the more annoying part are the advertisers.....

WRUP: WoW's next-next expansion