Posted: Jan 19th 2009 8:59PM venekor said

I think they should drop it because Shader Model 3 cards arn't expensive anymore and if it is holding the game back then why keep it? Most the people who complained have shader model 3 cards anyways and really you can buy a machine for 400 that can play the new client so why all the moaning?

I swear people just need to find something to complain about.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 2:49AM wjowski said

'Just' 400 dollars...

Proof positive that the PC gaming market's been taken over by rich kids with no understanding as to the value of a dollar.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 8:39AM venekor said

Rich kids? No I just have a job and people who havn't upgraded since 1998 obviously don't.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 3:58AM Temko said

dollar has a value now?! (joking :P)

it's pretty simple, EVE was one of the few MMO's that were not outdated gameplay wise and still only needed a lowest end machine to play it with. i am sure there are a good ammount of people playing eve who can barrely pay subscription cost, let alone a new pc.

i myself use a pc for 1-3 years. depending on when i buy the parts i might upgrade a cpu or gpu. this is a general cost of 2000 euro every 3 years.

wile i use my pc for both entertainment and my work i see it as a fitting investment that brings in 3k a month to my bank account.

but not everyone can afford that money for a machine. not all have momie/daddy paying or not having 2 penies worth of expenses....

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 11:28AM mko said

It's not that simple. If you have a AGP 4X system like you'll need a 1000$+ upgrade to have a modern computer.
And keep in mind not everyone earn their life in USD, Euro or Pounds. Even a 300$ upgrade is expensive when exchange rates taken into account.

I swear people just need to find something to complain about.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 12:59PM (Unverified) said

I'm one of those that mko mentioned with an AGP motherboard and can't run Premium. I would love to get a new machine, but I can't justify the cost at the moment. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get a new machine within the year. I have other more important things to pay for. Hail damage and several other large costs this summer really put a hurt on my wallet. I just started playing last month, and it would suck to have the rug pulled out from under me. I'm actually glad to have a step up from Classic on the way, though. My machine is not so bad that it can't handle Shader 2.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 2:09PM (Unverified) said

I wonder how much work it will be for CCP to support both Premium-Lite and Premium. If not too much work, then hopefully it'll have a long life.

My main concern is in fleet ops, Premium is pretty but causes too big a FPS hit for me. It'll be nice to have Lite for battles now and get good performance.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 8:07PM Durinthal said

Everyone complaining about needing to pay a lot of money to upgrade your graphics card:

$50 + shipping, and it'll fit into >95% of all computers (I have yet to see one without a PCI slot, but it just might not fit into some smaller cases). There are cheaper cards out there that will work, this one is just fairly good.

Outside of the US, try tigerdirect.com or directron.com.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:13AM (Unverified) said

I bought a netbook(just for change skills and chat) and it can handle Shader 2.0 so an upgrade would be too bad for me -.-

Posted: Jan 22nd 2009 12:54PM (Unverified) said

So they are dropping their official linux client?

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM