Posted: Jan 18th 2009 9:28AM pcgneurotic said

Monthly subs are fine, and if you play a lot of different MMOGs like I do (11 at the moment, inc. F2Ps), then it's easy to plan which one/s you're going to cancel or reactivate in a spread sheet. I've been doing this for ages and it makes life much easier.

Having said that, I also really like the 'Item Mall' thing, where a game is F2P and you can just pay for bits and pieces. The best implementation of this I've seen so far is in the superb Runes of Magic, which despite it's origins in Grinding Korean Horror, does so many things right it's making Blizzard, SOE, NCSoft and Turbine look stupid.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 9:30AM pcgneurotic said

Uhh, none of which really answers the question. A standing orderdirect debit at the bank is also fine, and PayPal rocks, thanks to which my LoTRO sub never dies, but I really, really like the EVE system of turning game cash into rl sub money. Difficult to make it worthwhile for the player though without turning it into a process of grinding for a month, just to pay for a month.

Imho, at the end of the day, a monthly sub paid for from a bank account works best.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 2:06PM Xii said

When I can, I use game time cards, even though I have a credit card.

Why? For a few reasons:

1) The fewer places my CC number is floating around, the better.
2) You can often find time cards on sale. I've never paid full price for my WAR subscription, and won't need to for some time.
3) No hassle with cancels. You don't have to worry that you'll be billed for an extra month, or that you forgot to cancel on time. When you pay with a CC, the burden is on you to cancel at the right time. When you pay with a time card, they'll cancel your account right away, because there's no way for them to extract more money for you. Fixed value cards = no way for them to screw you over, intentionally or otherwise.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 4:17PM pcgneurotic said

Yeah, GTCs, I forgot about them. I especially like them for all the reasons you stated there K1. They don't seem to be that prevelant outside of North America though - certainly the only ones I see around here (Poland) are for WAR and WoW, and only then in the very largest of the large multimedia chain stores.

If GTCs were as readily available as mobile phone top-up cards are, this would truley be a gamer's world :-D

Posted: Jan 19th 2009 9:51AM (Unverified) said

Lifetime subscription.

Back in reality however, I'm currently paying by debit card because I get 1% cashback. That's changing, so I'll move on to a credit card for the 40-50 days of extra interest in my savings account, and the extra assurances of credit cards over debit.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM