Posted: Jan 17th 2009 10:08AM (Unverified) said

Its kinda funny that all of my friends that went to WotLK came back to WAR less than a month later... I asked them why, they told me that they had completed all of the endgame content in that month... They told me that they wish they had stayed with WAR because they all wanted level 40's b/c they only had level 15's

WotLK is just another expansion Blizzard put onto WoW to milk money from its subscribers before the base got bored of the same old stuff over and over and over... Thank God I was not tempted to moving over to WotLK or it would have felt like it felt before I moved to WAR... I hate to admit it, but I played so much that WoW felt like it turned into a second job...

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 10:55AM Idle said

I can echo your sentiments. We've got a large MMO player base where I work and they all went from WAR to Wrath when it launched. They're now coming back.They all quickly burned through the new content, got bored with the normal WoW grind, and decided to pick up WAR again. The main complaint I'm seeing about WoW is the dumbing down of the game and a continued vain attempt for 1v1 class balance that is wearing down class distinction. They're all enjoying themselves immensely.

The positives expressed regarding WAR is the easy grouping ability. You can easily find a group for some RvR or scenarios and you don't have to feel like you're gimping your group if you leave early to go wash the cat. There's always something to do, as well. If you're tired of questing you can hit the scenarios. If that's getting old, you can spend an evening on the battlefield with a large group of other people. I'll not leave out the PvE dungeons, either. There's not a ton of them like in WoW, but they're a lot easier to group for and are very well done.

Some of the weaker points? The population imbalance between the two factions is still there. The PQ issue at lower levels, as well.

The game is really strong and fun to play as it is. Mythic continues to improve it and the right ways so it'll get even better as time goes on.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 12:26PM gemski said

So when people left WAR for WoW, they made a mistake. When they leave WoW for WAR it's because WoW is boring/lacks content. Yea, that makes sense.

If people left WAR for WotLK after only 15 ranks, then left WotLK after a month to go back to WAR...they are fighting MMO burnout, they have short attention spans, or maybe they're just fickle. It doesn't say much about the games.

Considering WoW's age, players *want to leave*. Even if Blizzard kept releasing more content and expansions...it's still an old game.

WAR and to a lesser extent LoTRO seem like the only viable options for these players.

Personally, WAR, aside from being "not WoW" it didn't do enough for me. The PvP was much more enjoyable but I needed more than that. The fact that it's another AAA Fantasy MMO doesn't help.

This is why I'm really looking forward to SW:ToR.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 7:17PM (Unverified) said

I hadn't played WOW for over a year and was dead set that WAR was going to be the game to play. Unfortunately after a couple of months, WAR failed to keep me entertained and I left for WOTLK about a month after it was released in an attempt to scratch my mmo itch.

During that time I tried to get my old WOW irl friends to try WAR but their machines just couldn't handle it. However they can run WOTLK just fine. We've been playing for about a month now and have yet to hit 80 because we realized it's not a race.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 9:44PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
I am bored of Wotlk my self! And wanna try WAR to see for my self but anyone invite me as there friend and not wanna buy it and find out its crap like I did with AoC my email is jhj_saat@hotmail.com if WAR really is so good now as you say it is you sure get a free month out of it :D-

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 1:18PM JohnD212 said

WHY WHY WHY does one have to hate WoW to like WAR??? It's like that old idea that you either like the 360 or the PS3...I mean who doesn't own them all?? I've played almost every MMO...I have my favorites but I don't hate one over the other.... you can compliment WAR without ripping at WoW. I could go down that same road and start listing all the bad things about WAR (and trust me...we ALL know what they are) but there isn't any reason for that. MMO's are always in transition...always being worked on and fixed...WoW is quality...WAR is quality (still in transition cause the game hasn't even been out a year yet). Now please drop all this bullying of various games and just enjoy talking good about whatever game you enjoy.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 1:34PM Kyoji said

I did the same thing, but find my attention waining after a month of playing WAR after coming from WoW. The game in my opinion has become somewhat of a Renown Rank grind. Its very easy to get base levels, but to get the RR levels required to wear the awesome pvp gear takes quite a while, and you are pretty much doing the same thing over and over. The constant population imbalance also began to wear on me, as well as the general "ghost town" feeling the server had. There were people playing, but I suspect they were all on the other side.

Having said that, Mythic did a wonderful job bolstering oRvR. If you get a warband or two together and take all keeps and BO's you are looking at a very decent amount of renown for your effort-that didnt used to be the case. I still think the game's PvE content could use some TLC, there are many quirks and discrepancies between how certain quest objectives are displayed and such, makes it frustrating at times. I also hope Mythic puts a lot of priority on making keep sieges 100x more dynamic. As it stands you tear through some gates, then tank and spank a hero. This sort of rinse and repeat cycle gets pretty odl after awhile, especially considering its the same thing, just on an increasingly grander scale as you progress through the game.

Lag in keep sieging was much better than i remember it being, but its still close to "slide show" levels at times. The client also doesn't feel very optimized, I had many random stutters and lockups for doing no more than moving my camera around. Other games like AoC have higher resolution textures and higher poly models yet don't skip a beat, Mythic needs to work hard on getting their game running the best it can. I also share the sentiment that Mythic needs to go on a recruitment crusade, or consolidate servers. As it stands there are more servers than are needed, and the result is a bunch of unhappy folks spread thin. They need to bite the bullet and do whats best for the player base, not for their marketing image.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 2:55PM (Unverified) said

One thing to rember about WOW, There is a new patch coming out soon that will bring people back, then after that will be patch 3.1 which will bring people back again. Then there will be Ice Crown patch. That patch will probably actually bring more people into the game not just returning players. Who isn't going to want to get 10 people together to take down Arthas. I would assume, and I may be wrong that they will be incoporating phasing and hard modes more into the game with each patch.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 3:47PM (Unverified) said

The fun of Lich King lasted me exactly one month. I have since caught up with some solo games, and headed back to WAR.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 7:43PM (Unverified) said

I played for 2 months and left; I haven't looked back since. The game had some really good ideas, but unfortunatly those ideas were side bar things, not meat of it. After realizing how much grinding I was doing and how little fun I was having, I went back to WoW so I could re-understand why I praise that company so much.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 10:16PM J Brad Hicks said

Further server consolidation won't help Public Quest or any other PvE content, because of the strong tendency of players to go where the most rewards are. And right now, that's open RvR, the only place where you can earn XP, gold, loot, rare loot, salvage materials, renown levels, and open RvR influence. (And if you haven't compared the influence rewards from open RvR to the influence rewards from public quests, check them out. Easily twice as good.)

I don't have fully prepared remarks on this subject yet, but this is one of several things that's bringing up doubts in my mind about the whole *idea* of "AAA MMOs." 2008 was a big year for release of new AAA MMOs, and nearly all of them were failures. We've got at one more "promise people everything and require a Crysis-capable rig to run the client" AAA MMO coming this year, Darkfall, and NCsoft is still working on 3 more of them for longer term release. But if nothing else, remember that the size and complexity of both the art budget and the code for a AAA MMO mean that it must draw at least a million subscribers to pay the interest on the loans to make one.

Is there any proof at all that there are a million or more people looking for an alternative to WoW? And even if you could scrape up a million, could you get them all to agree on one MMO, the *same* alternative to WoW?

No, I wonder a whole lot if the future doesn't look more like Runescape, EVE Online, and maybe Free Realms and The Agency: relatively tiny, relatively simple games without a whole lot more gameplay than Bejeweled or Quake 3, that ship with a modest amount of content, but with developer tools that make it easy for even a relatively small team to keep adding content that's as good as the first content or better at a constant rate.

If my suspicion is right, then two things will be true. Warhammer Online will be a footnote in history, one of the many games of 2008/2009 that tried to be "WoW only with even more stuff and higher hardware requirements" at launch time, games that did to the MMO industry what Collateralized Debt Obligations did to the mortgage market around the same time. And Frederick Brooks, who warned us decades ago that the guy who develops and maintains your development tools is even more important than and needs to be even smarter than your lead designer or anybody else on the programming team, will have been vindicated yet again.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 3:33AM Anatidae said

Well, first I have to say if I create a level 1 character in WoW then I feel really alone too. In fact, the whole first 70 levels of WoW are now a race to powerlevel to find everyone else.

That said, when you get to the end there are TONS of people around. I don't know what server technology WAR uses, but it must not be as good as WoW. It always feels in WoW there are people everwhere I go - yet in WAR there might be a few warbands in the RvR lakes, but then everywhere else is empty.

I blame the easy-to-use scenarios. I wonder if the majority of the population of WAR is locked in a scenario? I have no clue.

I agree that Mythic needs to go out, market and drive more sales. The game is fun, but their PQ systems really need more players to work properly. Otherwise they are just annoying areas unlike the beta were they were a hotbed of action.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 4:03AM (Unverified) said

"Well, first I have to say if I create a level 1 character in WoW then I feel really alone too"

It's true. The difference is that Blizzard acknowledge that as a game matures, the player base is going to be skewed more and more towards max level play, and thus made the levelling process extremely solo friendly. And then made it more solo friendly still over time (the patch during the time of TBC which changes a lot of old world group quests to be solo quests).

WAR.. two huge selling points were the ability to level via PvP, and the public quests. Both of those really fall by the wayside if there aren't many people levelling alongside you.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 2:26PM Anatidae said

Well, I do like WAR, but I will also be the first one to say the lack of people in PQs bumms me out big time. I think they are fun and had a blast in the beta running them. In the beta it seemed like almost all of the PQs had 20-30 people in them. They also drop pretty good stuff if you get the better bags, but alas most of the time I only see green bags.

I would love war to nerf scenarios and buff PQs. That or add more PQs in the oRVR lakes.

Posted: Jan 19th 2009 10:04AM Dread said

I keep hearing that there's no-one to do PQ's with in early levels....well...duh!...of course there isn't, most of us hit 40 weeks ago and are playing in T4. Hell, I have 2 alts into T3 now.

If I rolled a new alt I can guarantee Westfall, Goldshire etc would all be deserted as well...so this continuing bleating about low-pop starter area's and PQ's in just bitchy whining.

Posted: Jan 26th 2009 8:36AM (Unverified) said

Its funny you say "Man up and level up to where the rest of us are instead of bleating about some lowbie PQ's!" when the goal of Mythic now is to bring in more players and not just cater to the existing, since there aren't enough existing players as it is. On top of that, even when there are enough people in a particular tier, the PQ's are still empty. The truth is that Mythic made a brave attempt at flooding their game with many different things to do but without the realization that there is only so much time that players have to do all of it. Most players want to level quickly and will do the one thing that allows them to do it and ignore the rest. Hence, the reason why WAR players just grind scenerios all day and ignore all PVE content. I know, the diehards will say, "if you want PVE, then go back to WOW", but when the game maker insist that a player can have it all, of course, those players are going to be disappointed when they find that they really can't have it all.

Posted: Jan 21st 2009 10:35AM (Unverified) said

I'm waiting for the expansion which makes Skaven playable. Then I will try WAR. For now, I'm happy with Fallout 3 and am WoW'd out (no I don't hate WoW, just tired of it atm)

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014