Posted: Jan 17th 2009 10:21AM (Unverified) said

Well for me its a corp (EVE) but I much prefer small to medium operations (10-40 people tops) because of the level of camaraderie that develops when you see people all the time, plus its a lot easier to get a handle on who is who's alt. More importantly though is that the combat is as a whole more organized, specialized, and certainly heightened.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 8:24AM Wgraves said

i like corps(guilds) that allow you to log on and be the only one on, but only every once in a while, so id say small but dedicated...

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Activity is more important then size.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 9:43AM (Unverified) said

I'd go one step further and say activity that spreads to a good portion of the guild membership. Size matters not, as Yoda would say.

Personally, I prefer a guild that is social enough that guild chat is worth signing on. I've spend time when I don't feel like doing much just being online and chatting with my guildies. Being able to be friends with a good part of the guild goes a long way for me.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 9:15AM Tom in VA said

Personally, I generally prefer no guild at all. If I get to a point in a game that I actually *need* a guild, I usually move on to another game. I'd rather PUG/solo my way through an MMO as far as I can go.

To me the drawbacks of being in a guild -- drama, incessant idle chatter, pressure to go here and do that, etc., etc. -- far outweigh any benefits of being in one.

Posted: Jan 19th 2009 9:15AM Kamokazi said

You join the wrong guilds then.

In my first MMO, EQ, I joined a nice casual family guild of medium size. I got along with them very well, and stayed until I retied that game...and we even tried to play EQ2 and Vanguard together...too bad the games sucked at launch (a few still play VG though).

I was also sort of like you for a while. Many MMOs I tried, I never bothered to join guilds. I have never had any interest in raiding or anything that required more than a single group of people, so I figured I didn't need it.

But, what I've found is that if I don't join a guild, I get bored with the game more easily. I've played crappy games longer and good games less because of it. For reasons I cannot explain, being online with other people you are familiar with, even though I rarely grouped with them, just made me more likely to jump on and enjoy the game.

So now when I start up a new MMO, I look for a guild once I emmerge from the 'total noob' stage. I look for a nice small-medium size family guild. With these types of guilds I find that there is rarely, if any, drama. I don't often go with guildmates on group runs, so there is almost never any expectation or pressure to go with them. There is idle chatter, and that can be ignored easily. But if you stay in a smaller guild, it is pretty minimal, and sometimes actually interesting.

I found a great guild when I played AoC...started by a bunch of guys that worked in chip design, and I work in IT, so our interests aligned well. The idle chatter was almost always interesting...or amusing. Since the core was a bunch of RL friends, the drama was nonexistant. And there was never any presssure to do anything. But if you wanted to participate at any time, no problem.

Anyway, my point is, don't do what I did for years and be an antisocial bum...try a couple casual guilds out, and stick with it for a few weeks. See if you don't feel more compelled to play because there are people online that you know. And you can always leave if you don't like them.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 10:14AM (Unverified) said

I use to like large, zerg like guilds... but ever since I started playing WAR I knew that zergs were NOT for me... I hate running around in huge, mindless zergs doing stuff. Its much more enjoyable to get about 5 other people to team up with on vent and walk around in smaller groups...

@Tom
Sometimes the drama makes the game last longer, thats why I stayed on WoW as long as I did. I hated the kids, I hated the mindless farming for gold, etc. The drama between 2 people made the game purely enjoyable... as long as it wasn't directed towards me...

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 11:29AM Tom in VA said

The drama gets old, imo. I also grow weary of idle conversations about the latest movie or some pop star or other. In most games, you can turn that sort of chat all off with the flick of a switch (or checkbox), but if you are in a guild you are quasi-obligated to remain tuned in to guild chat -- however tiresome it may be.

There ARE good guilds out there, of course; they are just very hard to find, so I generally just don't bother with them anymore. In WoW, Guild Wars, and LotRO, the games I have played the most, guilds seem pretty expendable until you get to the endgame -- and that's about where I quit and move on to some other game.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 1:44PM (Unverified) said

Small and active. I can't stand large guilds personally.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 3:07PM (Unverified) said

Small is best. Specifically I prefer a handful of competent, literate, and mature friends.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 8:18AM Ghen said

I prefer large guilds full of talkative people.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM