Posted: Jan 17th 2009 4:14PM (Unverified) said

They're actually temporarily losing me.

The premium client merely requires a Shader Model 2.0 card. I have a Radeon 9250, which is the most recent card to not support it, yet it is over 8 years old or so. Honestly, if you're going to game, you have to have the hardware; you can't expect to purchase a low end laptop or computer and be able to play every future game made.

Furthermore, CCP should not receive any flak in my opinion for eliminating subscribers; unless we should give flak to EA/Mythic for eliminating possible subscribers as they released their game with the SM2 requirement. I see no difference in past and possible subscribers, especially in the private market where companies can do whatever they please.

Another reason why I'm not exactly upset, is I saw this coming. I'm a hobbyist game programmer, and I realized that it would have to take around double the effort to maintain two clients. I'm glad they're finally abandoning the classic client, allowing them to proceed forward.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 6:28AM Brendan Drain said

There are ways to maintain both clients simultaneously without doubling the extra effort. Both clients could use the exact same codebase but an interface to its graphical components would be defined and used. Then all you'd need to do is maintain the graphical component of each client and the interface. I'd imagine that's what CCP are already doing but there are still problems with that.

When art assets are designed for something new, for example, they have to create two separate sets of models, textures, shaders etc. It was fine when they converted over existing models to the high quality version because they already had low quality versions of all the models but for new content they'll have to create them. With the new ships and stuff coming in the Tech 3 expansion and Ambulation having masses of art assets, duplication of those assets into high and low quality versions that will need to be maintained separately isn't really feasible.

I feel for CCP in the current economic climate, they're having to tighten the pursestrings and make some hard decisions to stem the outflow of cash from the company. The removal of ghost training was an unpopular one that was costing CCP some lost potential subscriptions, for example. But it's good that they're taking these measures so that the company can keep going and focus on making EVE. If the money saved by discontinuing support for the classic client can help CCP's core production of EVE significantly, they have to do it.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 5:03PM (Unverified) said

Just a question for EVE players; do you guys play the game for its graphics? Every time I've heard someone gush about EVE, I've never heard them say anything about the graphics. It's always the freedom and complexity that I hear getting the praise.

I know my opinion is moot since I don't actually play EVE, but this sounds kind of like a Sony Home decision, that is, no one's asking for it but they feel they must bring it about anyway.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 9:33PM Firebreak said

I guess a little bit. I mean it is a beautiful game but it is not all that hard to make space and spaceships beautiful but they really go all out.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 3:22PM (Unverified) said

As an eve player for a few years I have to agree with Paul. At this point in time the upgrade switching to premium and premium lite isn't that bad of change. Video cards are so cheap these days (compared to what they used to cost) that if you have to upgrade its easily doable. This isn't a Crysis situation where no one can run it without major hardware, EVE will still be scalable and run on many setups that a lot of other MMOs won't.

As to Gabe, EVE is actually one of the more visually stunning MMOs. The solar system backgrounds all are slightly different with varying color themes in nebulae and stardust and in mission complexes there are stunning wrecks, clouds, and debris. All of this is in addition to glinting, glittering starships, tasteful solar flare, and all sorts of weapon effects. One of the reasons I've stuck with EVE for so long is the way the game is very artful and how seamlessly the EVE Chronicles (monthly short stories fleshing out eve with lots of flavor), visual style of the game, and music all go together

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 6:06PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Saving money is ALWAYS the first priority, not the support nor the cares of customers.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 6:14PM wjowski said

• 1 heart
Stupid move.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 8:37PM Lateris said

As an eve player (and LOTRO) I think this is a bad move because it makes the game accessible for players with lower end machines.

They must be getting ready to cut costs and employees.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 8:48PM (Unverified) said

Honestly? How many people is CCP really losing? A very small amount.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 4:11PM Graill440 said

Honestly, you think a niche game can continue to lose customers? To be honest if only a hundred folks leave, taking their multiple accounts with them (which is what CCP bases sub counts on) EVE will be crippled.

(just a bit of sarcasm on the crippled part, but you get my point.

Posted: Jan 17th 2009 9:33PM Firebreak said

Compare the amount of money they are making off of players with low end machines to the amount of money they are spending on updating those graphics sets.

I think they are making the right call.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 12:51AM (Unverified) said

personally this would really annoy me, maybe
I run multiple premiums on my desktop, but I like being able to run the classic on my tablet which has a crappy integrated vid card.
Unless the premium lite can run on my integrated 3100 than I will get super annoyed throw a tantrum and still pay my monthly fee.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 8:25AM (Unverified) said

The 3100 does support SM2 so your tablet should be able to run the new premium lite when it comes out.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 9:38AM (Unverified) said

I have tried it and it "works"
if 1 - 5 fps is called working.
that is with the res a 800x600 and all settings to as low as they go.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 10:13AM Brendan Drain said

feffrey, he's saying it'll work better with the new premium lite client. The only difference between the premium and premium lite client will probably be lower resolution textures (almost zero work needed to make those) and disabling of some of the fancy shaders. It should improve performance considerably compared to using the current premium client.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 8:25AM Wgraves said

They could really just fix all the worlds woes by having the option to turn off graphical content.

no models
no shading
no effects
no backgrounds

Just the overview/ hud and onscreen reticles/ icons.
By a relatively experienced player, Eve would be just as easy to play. And require less system resources than a medium flash game.

This would also likely drop the system requirements below that of some portable devices.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 8:50AM Brendan Drain said

You can turn off effects and turrets with Ctrl-alt-shift-E and ctrl-alt-shift-T and you can make the models disappear by zooming out but it might be too much to be able to just check a box to disable models. I think there comes a point where you're compromising the game vision to achieve performance upgrades.

I mean a lot of players still fly with the sound turned off and I can count the number of players I know who listen to the music while they play on one hand but the sound scape in EVE is one of the biggest tools for creating immersion. Ship visuals are another and I don't think I'd like an option to turn the models off entirely.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 10:49AM (Unverified) said

Ya, they're going to lose me too..

To be honest, my friends were all dropping like flies, so it's not too much of a disappointment that I won't be able to run the game anymore..

Posted: Jan 19th 2009 10:42PM (Unverified) said

This is seriously going to affect my gaming strategy. First of all I play EVE with two computers at once. My laptop and my old desktop. The desktop can't run premium graphics at all whereas my laptop barely runs it so I don't bother with premium. Personally I don't play EVE for the graphics, in fact I don't play any game just cause its pretty, game content has always been most important. Its likely I'll drop 3 of my 4 accts if this goes through and just shift my mains on to 1 acct. I'm a poor college student so I really don't have the free cash to run out and buy two new computers just to keep up with EVE. AND since I'm a PVPer if there's any lag at all due to my lack of hardware awesomeness I'll just quit playing altogether.
Personally I think its one of EVE's bragging points that the game can be played on lower end hardware.

Posted: Jan 20th 2009 2:33PM (Unverified) said

That kills my hopes of getting my brother and girlfriend to play. They both have computers on which the premium client won't run at all, it just crashes.
I guess I'll have to see whether the Premium Lite version works when it comes out.