| Mail |
You might also like: WoW Insider, Joystiq, and more

Reader Comments (13)

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 11:05AM Lethality said

  • 1 heart
  • Report
You know what I finally figured I don't like about all the Second life updates... its because they're almost never about the world and how to use it or play in it... They are always some obscure technological issue or Linden Lab business related issues or something.

Neither of these are interesting to players who don't play Second Life, which are a majority of readers of this site. Nothing I read here would encourage me to try it.

The subject matter is just to obscure - if you're going to continue to report on Second Life make it more mainstream, instead of something only a fraction of the actual players would even pay attention to.


Posted: Jan 15th 2009 11:57AM (Unverified) said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
Oh, lethality...theres so much I would like to say about your comment...but first, I do 'play' Second Life. Stories about service upgrades affect us greatly. It touches every aspect of our time inWorld.
But you don't 'play'. So why do you post negative comments?
As a mentor, I meet and help new 'players' every day, I invite you to log in and touch the grid.
Then post your comments.
Reply

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 12:22PM Lethality said

  • 1 heart
  • Report
Perhaps, just maybe... you missed the point of what I am saying.

Based on the type of coverage here on Massively, what exactly is so compelling that would make me want to log in and give it a try? It certainly isn't going to be an article about grid technology updates. Pretty damn obscure to cover for any MMO, especially Second Life, which here at Massively is a decidedly small percentage of readers.
Reply

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 1:33PM (Unverified) said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
Lethality, you might take a look at "New World Notes (http://nwn.blogs.com)". The writer, Wagner James Au (aka Hamlet Au, formerly Hamlet Linden) covers more in-world events and news. I see Tateru's coverage as a nice complement to Hamlet's, favoring Linden business and the technical nuts-and-bolts.
Reply

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 8:09PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
You're right about this much: the SL articles here are aimed squarely at those of us already *in* SL. They don't really offer any inducement for those not already in the world; I don't think they're supposed to.

For those of us already hooked, these articles are invaluable, providing a reliable analysis of the latest policy changes, technology news, and usage statistics, all of which are of central interest. I would no more want to lose them than a stockbroker would want to lose the Wall Street Journal.

For coverage that focuses more on what's going on among the world's residents, I would second the recommendation of New World Notes.

(Once upon a time, there was a site called Second Life Insider. It featured articles by several contributors, with a much wider variety of articles, some of which might have been of more general interest. It was absorbed into Massively. Over time, the rest of the coverage was jettisoned. This is all that's left. I would have no objection to the restoration of more mainstream articles in addition to the nuts-and-bolts analysis; if only one is to survive, though, I think they made the right choice.)
Reply

Posted: Jan 16th 2009 10:55PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Lethality is right, in the "good old days" before Taturu joined massively the coverage was better, but then the game was better too.

Having now basically left SL after being a resident for 3 years and no longer really playing the game it's amazing that the junk press releases that the Lab put out, and the stuff Massively write about are the same... statistics and background... not Torley style how-to's or things like "Level from 1-20 solo" style guides that the other games have and Massively reports on.

Heck Massively don't even do one-shots about the game any more - probably because it is nothing but a sea of Sex Dungeons, dance clubs and shopping malls - all built on a generic desert island.

There is ZERO creativity and ZERO substance left on the game now. As for business potential (laughs) those who claim that are fooling themselves.

My note to Lethality... there is a 90% chance you won't like the game SL is, giving up after one hour when you realise it is a pointless waste of time and money. If you fit into the smaller 10% of people who stay more than 1 hour then you will fit right in with the Asperger's sufferers, mentally deficient, Gor Roleplaying, collar wearing crowd who find the game fun... in dungeons, kennels and nadu at their Master's feet.
Reply

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 12:52AM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
I take it you're not an SL "resident"; actions taken to increase reliability or speed are of interest to everyone in SL. Feel free to skip SL-related articles on Massively, just as I skip essentially all the non-SL-related ones.

I have zero interest in shooting things, and I want my muscle memory devoted to music rather than whatever pointless sequence of button pushes it takes to activate some game weapon or defeat the boss on the 23rd level. SL is for those who don't need someone else to define their goals for them.
Reply

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 3:11AM Lethality said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
SL is for those who doesn't need their goals defined for them?

So the #1 use for Second Life is Cybering.

Grats.


Reply

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 11:55AM (Unverified) said

  • 3 hearts
  • Report
Thanks for the grid update Tateru! Obviously, not everyone is interested in the "nuts & bolts," behind-the-scenes development that drives SL, but many of us are! We who are, realize that the underlying technology infrastructure has a direct and fundamental impact on the quality of in-world experience "everyone" is interested in.

I think Lethality's comment does point to an marketing issue Linden Lab would do well to consider; the importance of having a steady stream of newsworthy and interesting stories about Second Life, to peak the interest of those who are looking for compelling content. Or in Lethality's words, a reason to "try it!"

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 2:22PM shifzr said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
@lethality ... wasn't there a feed that leaves out SL articles?
i for one am subscribed to the SL only feed of massively and wouldnt want to miss tateru's reports which are always highly informative!

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 8:21PM (Unverified) said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
Lethality does have a good point, actually.

Yes, we used to provide more coverage of in-world activities than we currently do. In the last 12 months, we've done less of that and its mostly been big-picture stuff instead.

Part of it is, of course that there's a lot going on, and it can be difficult to select just an interesting subset. Another part is difficulty that I have covering things (eg: Metanomics, Copper Robot) with an audio component, so those generally get passed over.

That doesn't mean we can't do better, though.

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 9:26PM torchwoody said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
And like clockwork, a Massively post on Second Life brings lethality out from under a rock to bitch bitch bitch with no real purpose or direction. ("Waaah your posts don't make me care about SL so there must be something wrong with your posts. Waaaah")

Dude, give it up already. I can make a safe prediction- you won't enjoy Second Life. You don't seem to have the maturity or the desire to do anything but troll Massively and have a bitchfest at whatever peaks your passing interest, and I for one am sick of seeing your continual hounding of Tateru's posts. An online virtual world where you can create and socialize would seemingly not be for you, since you seem to have nothing creative to offer and little social skills. You seem to think that drive-by spouting of whatever pops into your head five seconds after reading a headline passes for some sort of informed comment. Particularly if it is negative. Particularly since you find it impossible to scroll past an SL post without offering some new screed for the heck of it.

Those of us who utilize Second Life for businesses, because we're, like you know, adults, are dependent upon the type of reporting Tateru and others do. We desperately need to adapt to the changes and big picture issues to stay afloat in SL. As Samantha alluded, I also migrated to Massively from SL Insider, and continue to follow the postings here because Tateru and others offer solid and thoughtful information and comment about the development of our virtual world.

I don't play WOW or have any desire to, but I would never dream of logging into every WOW post and complaining that WOW has no interest for me. Or worse, hound the post authors that they should work harder to engage me and make me care about WOW.

After weeks of this, we get it lethality. You don't get SL. And I feel no need to entice you into SL. In fact, I suspect we're way better off without you.

Posted: Jan 16th 2009 9:31AM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
No need to be so polarizing. The marriage of Second Life blog posts to massively.com has always felt a bit forced since the beginning. These are very different entities.

Frankly, I would not recommend Second Life to most of the people who are reading massively.com for the mmorpg coverage. Not because they are not capable, but simply because their expectations will not be met.

As for reasons for mainstream to care about Second Life? I would say wait a few more years. The people who are in second life right now cannot whole heatedly recommend it in it's current state anyways.

We didn't ask second life posts to be mixed into Massively.com, but that's just how things are. Therefore we read.
Reply

Featured Stories

Engadget

Engadget

Joystiq

Joystiq

WoW Insider

WoW

TUAW

TUAW