Posted: Jan 14th 2009 9:15AM Holgranth said

This could get ugly in a hurry.

I hate to say it but if it actually came down to it I really coulden't tell you. If somone had asked me before november I would have said pve instantly but after the sheer insane fun of Warcraft's Strand of the Ancients and Lake Wintergrasp not to mention the almost constant world pvp in Grizzly Hills.Its hard to say what I would choose.
The Old Kingdom is insanely fun too and I'd probably have to go with pve content just because there is more of it.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 9:44AM (Unverified) said

I pick both. I have equal amounts of fun, as long as I’m surrounded by fun & upbeat people. I really think that’s all it takes. If I’m with good guildies, that can laugh at taking a shellacking, I’m good. I deal w/ enough petty BS at work all day. I game to smile.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 9:56AM Minofan said

PvE all the way, though I did give PvP more of a go in 2008.

Of course bad PvP trumps bad PvE any day, but even good PvP tends to involve copious downtime, fiddly tactics/exploits and the outcome largely being determined by numbers ( either number of players per side or number of ACTIVE players per side ).

Also - when it comes right down to it - I'd much rather play with people than against them ; knowing that someone somewhere was just defeated doesn't really add anything to a victory for me, especially when it's delivered by lag or hopeless numerical advantage.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 10:03AM (Unverified) said

I only engage in PvE. City of Heroes added PvP zones three years ago, and I haven't been in one yet. I absolutely refuse to engage in PvP. Any MMOG that includes mandatory PvP won't get a second look from me.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 10:12AM (Unverified) said

You haven't even been IN the zones?

Honestly, I respect your choice not to PVP (especially w/ that ass backwards, shoveled in system) but those zones are really fun PVE wise too.

Especially Warberg and Recluse's Victory.

If you find yourself up at the crack of dawn one morning, log in and check out their pve contnet. It's pretty cool.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 10:44AM (Unverified) said

If I had to choose only one I think it would be PVP. That said, it really depends on the game. In WoW I always hated PVP, but now that I play Warhammer I can't get enough of it. I also loved the PVP in EVE Online. So yeah it really depends on what the game is and if they made PVP fun or not.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 11:04AM Jesspiper said

I prefer faction PvP. That is where my loyalty lies. DAoC, WAR, LOTRO, WoW. They all have faction PvP and to me that is the most enjoyable.

I enjoy PvE as well, but faction based PvP my style of play of choice if I had to plant my flag in one camp.

However I would choose PvE in a heartbeat if the choice were between FFA and PvE.

FFA is not challenging; it is abusive. Not only that but it generally brings out the dregs of the gaming society.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 11:10AM Arkanaloth said

Definitely PVE... I tend to be a more team-oriented person and what little PVP I've experienced and seen tends to be a massive helter-skelter mess. Also add in the fact that I tend toward healer classes.. so in general in PVP situations I spend more time dead than alive.

It's just not fun.. it's frustrating. Anything you're not good at tends to be that way but it's frustrating to the point of not wanting to bother with it at all.. The choices are clear: Deal with it or don't do it. I choose not to do it.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 1:51PM (Unverified) said

It depends on the game. I prefer PvE in most MMOs, but games like Planetside which are all PvP, I of course play PvP. For PvP to work for me, though, it has to be organized like a sporting event, not a free-for-all, no rules gankfest.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 4:17PM (Unverified) said

I didn't expect to be a PvPer when I started playing WoW, but battleground PvP has become my favorite thing to do in the game. PvE is OK, but I live for PvP.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 4:14PM (Unverified) said

PvE.

Why?

Success in a MMO depends largely on the time invested. If there are people who game 16hrs a day in a PvE world they have ZERO effect on you.

In a PvP world they will have an near insurmountable advantage.

If you want to kill other virtual people, play TF2 or COD4 where it A) skill and B) the same number of players have the same types of gear.

Oh and the asshat ratio is just to high in PvP games

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 4:16PM (Unverified) said

P..V..P!!!!!!!!

PVE is boring and horrible in comparison to PVP.

Oh yay we've killed a boss based on an easily executable strategy someone else thought of.

OR

Woot! we finally beat that stupid team in Arena after losing to them! Showed them what was up! We came up with out own strategy against them and it worked!

In one you are but a pawn in a master plan, usually a plan thought up by some1 else, in the other you need to make your own plans and snap decisions rather than mindlessly following a guide of some kind.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 5:15PM (Unverified) said

Why the hell should I waste so much time, killing monsters, getting gear, if it wasn't for competing with other people at the end.

There is no sense for me behind PvE - nor do I get an adrenaline rush from it.

My favourites right now: Lineage 2 (for mass PvP), and Warhammer Online (for quick 'arcade' PvP).

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 5:35PM Graill440 said

There isnt a game out, or that has been out that covers the one thing that would make a pvp environment what it should be, and that is.... consequence.

Without consequence any type of pvp is simply lord of the flies in mmo form. There is no argument to support a pvp environment without it except those that like lord of the flies play, take EVE for example, or WOW's pvp servers, there is no structure, there is no wondering if you will be killed to give you that immersion, there is only the certainty that you will be pk'd because the antagonists know there is nothing that will happen to them that will change their gameplay in the long or short term.

Consequence, a word that makes developers balls shrivel up.

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 9:35AM (Unverified) said

YES! I'd love to see a more consequence-orientated PvP game. I remember MUDs like this, but haven't seen an MMO do it; when you kill someone, it's murder. If this is witnessed by anyone (unless, say, you're in a faction war) they'll run to the nearest guard, and if they make it you become wanted.

Even in WoW, things like alliance characters being brutally slaughtered at Nesingwary's Expedition should involve the entire camp running to find assistance. Alliance/Horde fights in Booty Bay, Gadgetzan etc. should involve the guards diving in to break up the fight (being able to "surrender" to guards once they interevene is also key).

Posted: Jan 16th 2009 12:27PM rulesaremyenemy said

I disagree. In EVE there is a serious consequence to death. First, you lose your ship. If you are flying something cheap that isn't a big deal, but if you are flying your flagship this can mean the permanent loss of rare and valuable gear. Second, you lose your implants. Most pilots fly with at least some implants to help improve their stats and training times. The upper echelon of implants are extremely expensive. Third, you must constantly update your clone in order to maintain skill points after death. If you have not upgraded your clone recently then you can lose the points you have earned.
While death in EVE doesn't mean that you have to roll a new character, it does have some serious consequences. This is why, in my opinion, EVE has the best PvP amongst the MMOs.

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 9:28AM (Unverified) said

It depends...

In standard MMO PvE/PvP, absolutely without question PvE. I got lured onto a WoW PvP server by some friends recently, and so far it's been PAINFULLY frustrating, annoying, and in absolutely no way fun. Thing is, one of four things happen:

1. I meet a Horde of lower level, and don't attack because it would seem harsh to obliterate them.
2. I meet a Horde of around the same level, and we stare nervously at each other; this is incredibly rare. Sometimes we'll fight, but mostly we edge carefully around and go on our ways.
3. I meet a Horde of higher level, and they'll generally wipe the floor with me before I even have time to respond. On occaision, they'll do this quietly from behind while I'm fighting a monster. While I can accept rogues can creep up behind me, I'm getting really annoyed by the concept of a warrior in full plate armour not being audible from 5 miles away.
4. I meet a bored Horde of much higher level, and they obliterate me for kicks. This seems about the most common scenario.

Now, I've tried PvP on WAR, and found it a lot more fun. Everyone's at least loosely the right level; I may lose because I'm lower level or just not that good, but at least both sides stand a chance.

Ultimately, however, most PvPers have more game time per day than I can manage in a week, and in 99% of MMOs that makes me cannon fodder.

Posted: Feb 11th 2009 11:42AM (Unverified) said

As the game stands, I would swear off pvp in wow if I HAD to choose one or the other, and do nothing but pve.

BUT, I spent several years in a game that was pvp only, (I think the name of it was Dransik), you could kill your best friend in a bank, or anywhere else, and LOOT a percentage of the corpse, (if they didn't get back to the body in time from a rez point). Guilds were formed out of neccessity, and everyone in the guild had two list, "KILL ON SITE", and "LOOT ON SITE", (based on how nasty that player was), which we kept on the website. It was diffrent, because each playing character became the monsters in the game.

Guild tells were usually, "I spotted (name) on the los at ... come help quick", or "I'm being attacked at ... by 7 guys". The reward was bragging rights and whatever loot they had on. I think Dransik wrecked that because they listened to the whiners, and put in a prison system, where the guards arrest you based on a wanted status, then you wasted hours in the prison doing quest, (crushing rocks), to get out. Actually that got to be entertaining for a little while, like socker, because you ended up with teams in the prison as well and everyone was stealing each others rocks, but then Dransik nuked that as well.

The game was stick figures in comparison to WoW, but it was highly entertaining. I do not recommend this environment for everyone, especially the people that cry over the gear they didn't get from a boss in pve, but I think lootable pvp would be a refreshing twist in WoW, at least on the pvp servers, and certainly not for the faint of heart.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny