Posted: Jan 14th 2009 1:49PM Dlangar said

I played Fusion Fall quite a bit during it's beta, and IMHO, it is setting the bar for web-enabled MMO's. For a quote-unquote kids game, this title is more polished than many supposed triple A MMO titles that launched last year. If you're a fan of the genre at all you owe it to yourself to take a look at this game.

Dlangar

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 1:59PM TheJackman said

browser-based MMO... primarily subscription-based, everything but one area called Future Zone. A subscription is $5.95 per month.... I pass!!

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 2:38PM (Unverified) said

Is your last name Ass or Off per chance?

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 2:50PM hami83 said

I want stuff free even though it might have cost a company millions of dollars to make and maintain.

Oh how stupid people have become.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 3:03PM Ripper McGee said

"browser-based" implies that content is served up via web server to your browser window and that no significant data or files are downloaded to and stored on your hard drive. I've also seen references to simplified security due to not having to configure firewall settings like you would with a traditional client/server MMO.

Additionally, "browser-based" seems to be synonymous with "less quality".

Neither are the case with FusionFall. While FusionFall is played in a browser window, via plugin, and content is streamed as necessary, core files (over 500MB of them) are downloaded and stored on your machine. It's essentially a client/server game that uses the browser window as the game client. Also, I did have to allow FusionFall files access with my firewall (Comodo).

In terms of quality, the graphics are far better than any live "browser-based" game I've see, including Runescape's allegedly "high def" graphics. They certainly aren't Age of Conan graphics (they're pretty simple), but they use some decent tech (particle effect density, shading, glow, anisotropic filtering, custom texture quality, etc...) and the overall style (colors, cel-shaded characters, etc...) is completely appropriate to the game.

All that being said, even my kids don't think FusionFall is that great of a game. At most, they think it's "okay".

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 3:11PM Holgranth said

I went ahead and played this for half an hour out of bordom. Right now server stability seems to be on the crap end which is forgivable as it JUST released.

However the controls and interfaces really ticked me off especially because even though I could also use keyboard to control movment the damn thing kept following my mouse instead even though I tried to set it to NOT do that. Interfaces remove you completely from the game screen which is annoying to say the least.

The whole thing is a big fat MEH I don't think any other browser based multiplayer games (Runescape, AQW) need to be worried.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 5:20PM hami83 said

Sounds like you don't know how to use options properly. lol

I turned off the click/move and I had no issues.
And I find the out of the game menus find, it's not a fast paced game that requires something like that to be like WoW. Heck even if you get attacked your screen will glow and you can just hit esc.

Also a half hour of playing a game and you think you have a grasp of it? Please.
Do that with WoW and you'd think it's garbage. No MMO can be learned in half an hour, not even a kids game.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 7:15PM Ripper McGee said

You might be able to turn off click-to-move, but you can't unbind the FPS style mouse control, which is the maddening part. One of my daughters got about about 1/2 hour into FusionFall and was ready to give up on it based almost entirely on the mouse control.

I think FusionFall has promise, but it needs to be twitchier, IMO. Why bother having FPS style mouse controls if you can't fire and hit at will and if moving during combat is meaningless? In FusionFall, if you don't have an opponent targeted with your reticle then you don't hit the opponent. With the exception of special attacks, there's no way to avoid default attacks from monsters. It's literally a matter of "stand and hold your button and see who dies first". The argument that the combat is so simple because it's a kids game doesn't hold water, because my 9 year old son turned off FusionFall to go play his PS2 Ben 10 (another CN IP AND an action title), because it's more fun.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 8:54PM (Unverified) said

After reading through the first impressions post and gallery, the game doesn't seem to offer me enough to invest time into, particularly because of the tiered subscription model which severely limits the amount of content one can see without subscribing. I don't have a problem with such a pricing model in principle but the setting and world aren't enticing enough to bridge the small gap that any subscription imposes.

All the recent talk about microtransaction/free to play/browser based games have gotten me interested in Wizards101 which operates on a similiar model but has for me a more interesting (and arguably) more polished aesthetic.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 9:36PM Ripper McGee said

Wizard101 Vs. FusionFall in the McGee house:

Wizard101 - the entire family digs it. It's the only game that all 5 of us have enjoyed (ages from 9 - 39), much less together.

FusionFall - a big collective 'meh' (averaged between 'It's ok' and 'I don't like it') from the four of us who've played it.

~Ripper

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 7:41AM hami83 said

I find Wizard 101 to be boring, but I can see how kids might like it, considering it has MUCH simpler controls.

I personally think this game looks and plays better though, but then again I'm a 26 year old gamer so I learn quickly.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 3:15AM Pigeonko said

I thought this game was going to be an unholy trainwreck but after playing it - it's pretty good! Wish the character customization was better with clothes while leveling (Maybe it changes as you level, I don't know.)

Overall if I wasn't currently playing a MMO I'd try this out for a while.

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 9:35PM (Unverified) said

I was quite excited to hear about this, as my son would absolutely love playing it. But unfortunately they do not offer the game outside of the US/Canada. So here in Australia we cannot even play it to find out how good/bad it is. My son is quite disappointed.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014