Posted: Jan 12th 2009 11:45AM Minofan said

I assumed that the article was going to be a grumble about the pitiful itemisation, absence of any visual variety and snoresome distribution of advancements after R15 in WAR... but clealry I am just an embittered minority in that position. *sigh*

With regards to plain ol' XP & Renown, I actually found those to move in a timely fashion in WAR - so long as on a populated server and ideally one with the incentive bonus for your realm - so I cannot say I am in sync with the article there.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 11:42PM Anatidae said

From WoW, WAR item sets do seem limited. They were more limited in WoW the first year too.

I can't say that it bothers me all that much though. I also thought Guild Wars was a really fun game, and loot is far more simplistic there. Then again, I also loved UO where, again, loot was disposable (your going to loose it anyway from gankers, even if your a ganker).

I don't think items = fun in MMOs. But I do think that they are a number of advancement systems that are fun (items can be that for sure) and WAR does need to smooth out their reward systems a bit.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 2:03PM (Unverified) said

I have always felt that, yes, fun IS its own reward.

I will never understand the mindset that just because you aren't grinding max XP, you are somehow "wasting" time.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 6:50PM Purkit said

Its nice to see people are really having fun in ORvR. WAR shows you don't have to be at the end of the game to have fun. Epic battles can be had from your first day. One of my guildies commented yesterday he was having so much fun in T1 with an Alt he couldn't believe he power leveled past it the first time round. Personally I'm upset when I finally level out of a Tier and leave my lower level comrades behind.

Fun is most certainly its own reward, rushing to get to the end game is pointless without enjoying the journey.

Vulturion: Personally I like the overall look of WAR, I'd be happy to see more clothing and trophies in the game, but its not exactly the number one issue.

Posted: Jan 13th 2009 3:34AM (Unverified) said

I sure hope that the WAR community doesn't turn into the WoW community, where it seems the majority of players ONLY play battlegrounds to grind honor points.

I had such fun in Alterac Valley when we'd actually defending towers and such. However, the games would run longer and many would start complaining about the "effiency" in chat. Talk about killing the fun!

Posted: Jan 13th 2009 6:00PM (Unverified) said

I'd be with you 100% if I didn't remember 8 hour AV's. I too dislike the whole honor "grind" idea, but I like it far better than spending that much time in a turtle-fest.

Posted: Jan 13th 2009 9:16AM (Unverified) said

I always enjoyed the Scenario's in WAR, except that it would always be the same one's popping up over and over, and once you move to the next tier, they take away the chance to play the previous one's, some which are a lot of fun.

WAR has a lot of flaws, it was way over-hyped for what was delivered.

And their PvE content just wasn't very good, at all. It was pretty bland and boring, and when I compare Wrath of the Lich King PvE to Warhammer Online's PvE, it becomes very apparent how bad WAR's is.

I hope they can fix things up, but I think they made some major key design flaws from the start, beginning with including PvE and the Tier system.