Posted: Jan 12th 2009 12:57PM (Unverified) said

It's certainly a big reason, yes. Many MMORPGs suffer from a kind of elitism from its player base, especially early on, when former beta testers and early powerlevellers revel in their superior knowledge of the game.

Beyond that, their constant complaining in public forums and in-game channels has a tendency to drive away other players new to the game, whom after going through a somewhat lacklustre and "failing to meet expectations" experience might have that experience embittered even further by the negative reinforcement of other player complaints.

It's pretty much one of the biggest reasons I decided to stop playing Warhammer.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 1:33PM Damn Dirty Ape said

Of these games, I really hope to see Pirates of the Burning Seas grow and continue. Though I have only played it off and on and never seriously, there is just something about it that is refreshing and new. I think the only real problem is it's lack of content.

Sadly I think their launch issues will stop the game from ever reaching it's full potential. If they had the manpower and money to make some signifigant additions, the game could really suprise people. Some ideas would be port governors and guild ports, 'shallows' area that big ships can't get into, wars back in the mothercountry shaking things up in the carribean, treasure maps, more locals, etc etc.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 2:55PM (Unverified) said

As to the question why I haven't listed Warhammer on the list of "failures;" Mythic is actually delivering on its promises. It's also stabilizing itself well enough. Yes, I am aware that there was a drop in the subscriber base. Amazingly this phenomenon happens with every MMO that comes out; there's hype built around it, people then buy the hype but don't enjoy the game. A month or two later the subscriptions drop. Same thing happened to LotRO a month or two after it launched, and yet LotRO is doing quite well for itself.

Second, I'm skeptical about the numbers game, especially when WildTangent is in charge of distributing and handling the accounts in RuneScape. WildTangent is largely an untrustworthy company who I wouldn't even trust them with handing over a nickel to. On top of that, until I see demographics of where the majority of the userbase is, then I'm also counting it out. If you want to count it in, that's fine, but I'm willing to bet the majority of people that are playing the game aren't in North America and they aren't playing it because the game is just "so great."

@Brendan: Just a protip; if you want to exaggerate about what I actually said and then call me ignorant, I ask you to not fall victim to the insults you are trying to pass around.

@JP: Please sell crazy elsewhere.

@Ian: Hey Sol. :)

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 3:33PM (Unverified) said

good retort. What should I say here? QQ more? Something like that? Thanks for being part of the problem, kiddo.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 3:56PM Holgranth said

Dose the fact that a browser based game is the second largest Western MMO piss you off or somthing? I get bored within about three minuets of playing it but its targeted at the 12-15 demographic and is continuing to grow.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 2:57PM (Unverified) said

Oh! And I nearly forgot; thanks Massively for featuring my article. :)

Posted: Jan 18th 2009 4:23PM pcgneurotic said

Forget all this, go get you some Runes of Magic - Dual Class all the way baby, ahh yeahhh... :-)

Why I Play: ArcheAge