Posted: Jan 11th 2009 6:25PM Holgranth said

• 1 heart
Well since I for one don't use blu rays, refuse to buy a PS3 on the grounds that its a piece of junk, (One mans opinion, I'm sure theres loads of Abriael eqivalent PS3 lovers waiting to "scool" me about why its 50 million times better than a 360) and generaly have little positive to say about SOE period I think they can count me out.

I am interested and slightly wary of the impact console mmo's may have on the overall industry. I play plenty of FPS on consoles but in all honesty I like using my computor, mouse and keyboard too much to give it up. As long as I can avoid console mmo's I will.

Maybe I'm just old fasioned. My hope is that console mmo's will create more interest in mmo's period meaning more "quality" PC mmo's. Not that we have seen many of those lately.

Posted: Jan 11th 2009 7:19PM Mr Angry said

I got a PS3, it's pretty good, I use it for Blu-Rays, multi-platform games and video streaming, and it's good value if you want to do all that.

All I can think is that Smed's plan is to run the PC side into the ground if that's the numbers he is predicting, good work so far on that!

Posted: Jan 11th 2009 7:41PM (Unverified) said

the fact that home a FREE "game" has already had over 1 mill spent on it dose not shock me
i am thinking is rather then ppl geting gold from 3ed party that they will sell it
as it looks like the PS3 group as no fear of spending cash

Posted: Jan 11th 2009 8:20PM (Unverified) said

So since SOE can't make good games for PCs anymore they are going to try and pull out a win with PS3? Yeah...good luck with that.

MMORPGs on consoles is a bad, bad idea.

Posted: Jan 11th 2009 9:05PM (Unverified) said

lol

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 6:08PM (Unverified) said

I'd buy a PS3 to play MMO's, I'd rather do that than upgrade my computer. My computer's only a 2ghz, 1meg, 6600GT, but it runs Eve, Wow, and Wurm so I'm fine. No new game I've tried has been any good either and now it's getting to the point where I almost have to upgrade just to try a new game. One of the bad things about computers now is that I can't use my old copy of XP, if I buy a new motherboard, ram, and video card I have to buy a new OS. So I can't really buy just what I need cause then I feel like I'm getting ripped off having to buy a new OS, and I can't really go hog wild and buy a new case and everything cause then I feel ripped off since all I needed was a faster processor, more ram, and a new video card. I like that consoles are also where everyones' systems will be the same so problems like certain video cards not working near Nefarian. I'm all for console MMO's. However I love WoW's interface customization and would like see something like that be possible on a PS3, like maybe you can program it on your computer and then copy into a directory on your PS3 or something.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 6:41AM (Unverified) said

So... they're expecting the rest of their projects to crash THAT badly?

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 7:16PM Tipa said

Very disappointed that Smed would say that. Saying that the very small subset of MMO gamers who own a PS3 and would prefer to spend more time playing MMOs on a PS3 vs the power and flexibility of a PC -- I can browse the web while playing a MMO and even play two chars at once on a PC.

I just don't see it being half their player base unless they expect their total player base across all platforms to be < 50K.

And if they charge a subscription for their games, I expect the PS3 portion to be

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 8:32AM Minofan said

I'll have to join the chorus of surprise / amusement, since the PS3 is similarly just a faint blip on my radar.

I can see where he is coming from when Mr. Smedley says that the PS3 MMO market is untapped, but...

a] Outside of Japan, got to expect that the PS3 MMO market is limited to hugely recognizable licences and NO FEE NO MALL games.
Console gamers may enjoy playing online, but I don't think there are many Westerners out there who are willing and also old enough to spend money in the course of playing games they've already paid for.

b] It's 2009, the internet is everywhere, MMO designers are "rockstars" and Warcraft has run adverts with Mr.T and William Freakin' Shatner ; it seems naive to imagine that however many million PS3 owners there are out there don't know what MMOs are or don't have access to a PC.
The "people who play PS3 games right now aren't the same people playing MMOs right now" because they are choosing not to play MMOs, not because they are clueless or lack the hardware.

Posted: Jan 12th 2009 1:02PM (Unverified) said

the fact is MANY PS3 gamers have old PCs that cant run MMOs
also many dont like the pay to play way of MMOs
thats why there going free to play mostlikely

Posted: Apr 6th 2009 6:02AM (Unverified) said

playstation2 had 2 mmo (EQoA n FFXI ) on it with subscription fee n everything.. so i dont see why ps3 cant ..

FFXI was cross-plat , ppl connected on same server from PC/ps2 n later on x360s