Posted: Jan 9th 2009 11:23AM (Unverified) said

The game is sounding more and more interesting. I’m not willing to throw in my fanboi hat just yet though. They’re giving a lot of info, which is cool. It sounds like a more simplistic EVE, which I’d openly embrace. EVE is a good game and GREAT community involvement, but to time consuming and dependent on large corps.

STO could be EVE w/ out the red tape and more avatar freedoms. That’s the perfect sci-fi mmo for me. It’s what I was hoping SWTOR would have been.

As time goes on and more and more info is released, I’ll decide which will be my new MMO home. But, as much as it pains this die hard Star Wars fan to admit, what Cryptic is INTENDING the game as, is looking a LOT more attractive right now then SWTOR.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 12:29PM (Unverified) said

Do you think it will follow a similar path that WOW has? WOW essentially took elements from EQ but made them more accessible to the average player. That would be a good model to follow.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 12:44PM Holgranth said

Ya right now I'm on a fantasy Binge but STO could rekindle my sci fi love in a hurry. It dose sound a bit like a more acessable EVE.

While I WAS a die hard star wars fanatic way back when. I was one of the many people who's love was crushed by Jar-Jar and emo skywalker. Right now star wars has a bitter taste in my mouth. And SWTOR with the whole micro transaction and just the look/feel of it just ain't making me want to go there.

Eve to me seems like at this point I would be several years behind a lot, if not most of the players and I don't want to spend huge amount of time catching up.

STO if it was done well COULD draw me in very fast.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 7:20PM (Unverified) said

The 'wessel' reference was magnifique.

But being a Star Trek nerd myself, the discussion that's been going on for those interested in STO (namely, whether it's too unrealistic for every player in the game to have their own starship rather than being part of a crew) -- a battle that's already been decided, unfortunately, by the developers -- is a bit disheartening.

Since I can't say this elsewhere (I've never been on their board and evidently the subject isn't even open anymore), it's most bothersome because the infrastructure for a truly co-op MMO was all there. The Star Trek universe not only allowed for gameplay centering around guild/union/player crew-based gameplay, it demanded it.

Bleh.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 7:31PM (Unverified) said

Fair point of view, but I'm not entirely convinced it did demand it.

With Star Trek, at their most basic level, the shows were about being invested in the crew -- they were your crew. Your captain, your doctor, etc, etc. Now let's be honest, how many people does the average MMO player consider "their" healer, or "their" tanker? Not many, really. Not unless they're in a very tightly knit guild.

So, by giving Star Trek Online players a whole crew for themselves -- you level them, you customize them, you get _involved_ with them -- it seems like Cryptic is allowing each and every person to have their own personal Star Trek experience.

Could it have been different; a co-op experience unlike anything else? Sure. But could it have really worked, even under the best developer with the best tech? That's not entirely certain. And for our first Star Trek MMO outing I'm happy with something that spends its risks like a good Monopoly player spends their monopo-mony: on whole streets first, then Boulevard later.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 3:47PM Tom in VA said

Heh. Your "bleh", lowesox, is my cause for rejoicing.

I cannot imagine a more disheartening than spamming some LFG channel in every spaceport: "4/5 for Blah Blah Mission -- Need Doc!" I would absolutely hate to see anything like that in this game.

Cryptic is doing EXACTLY the right thing on this (NPC) crew business, in my opinion.

One possible compromise on this issue might be to reserve certain missions, planets, and/or sectors of space for all-player crews, although I am not enthusiastic about such an idea.

Posted: Jan 10th 2009 6:28AM Minofan said

I can see the appeal of controlling individual characters and forming a crew, but the non-combat non-ship content would have to be crazily complex to sustain such a Star Trek MMO...

a] If non-ship combat is dominant then everyone would want to be Security characters on account of them getting all the combat equipment and combat skills.

b] If ship combat ( or control ) is available and even slightly fun, EVERYONE would want to be an Officer character so they can rise to captaincy one day.

A Star Trek combat-MMO being played by crew role would sadly be equivalent to any other MMO deeming that only one profession can own & run guild halls, operate siege weaponry, determine guild activities and basically run the whole shabang.
Of course there is some market for that, but such a title would never make it to AAA levels.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny