Posted: Jan 8th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

/cheers to Shawn on a great write-up! :)

This is indeed the best time to give it a try. Not only has this game experienced a year of growth in features, content, and fixes in the past year (making it a much better game than those who tried it for free during beta experienced); but free subscription + free download means the only thing you can lose is your time... but c'mon, you can spare some of that, your other MMO(s) aren't closing in less than two months.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 7:10PM Arashikou said

I would also say that even if you tried TR in the past (beta or post-launch) you owe it to yourself to come back and try it while it's free. Come see how much the game improved before NCSoft gave it the axe. (Hint: Quite a lot.)

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 7:19PM (Unverified) said

Local chat isn't too bad. Most people seem pretty helpful. I try to be.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 9:59PM (Unverified) said

I joined up as soon as this thing went free. I usually don't play MMO's (put a month into WoW and that was it) and I ended up dropping 24 hours into this in one weekend. Since then I've been really enjoying it. And really, I won't be too sad to see it go, because in a month or two I'll probably have put all the time into that I responsibly should!

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 12:14AM (Unverified) said

I won't play for the sole reason that it will shut down so soon. MMOs generally have a long learning curve. Further, if I actually liked TR, I'd probably be mad they're closing down.

Still, if you're looking to kill time while waiting for the next thing then sure, it's a nice suggestion.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 9:27AM Evy said

Same here! I played in beta. Sure, I'm intrigued to know how much the game has improved since then. But I don't really feel like torturing myself by getting back into a game that's shutting down forever NEXT MONTH.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 12:38AM hami83 said

Don't worry people, any smart MMO company (Acclaim, Aria or others) would be stupid not to buy the rights to the game.

Crappy start, but now it's pretty damn good and would be a wicked F2P game because it still does have some original stuff in it like it's fight system and cloning.

Also, it always was a pretty game.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 5:49AM (Unverified) said

I recommend everyone to try out TR. It has great looks, great story, great environments.
I'm very sad and angry since NCSoft has decided to close it down. In my opinion it's the best MMO I've ever played. Now I can just hope for a miracle that will let NCSoft change their mind.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 8:02AM Tom in VA said

I tried it once long ago -- it was OK. I will not revisit this game until I know it has a future.

If I were to try it again and hate it, I'd be annoyed that I had (once again) wasted my time with it.

If I were to try it and really like it, I'd be annoyed that the game is shutting down.

Sadly, this is a lose-lose situation, in my opinion. No, thanks.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 9:00AM nevin said

Global chat (on the EU server) at least is somewhat pre-occupied with the impending close but most questions get answered and even those questions that always get asked (every game has them), they're answered. I've found global chat to be very helpful.

People worried about wasting their time should remember that this is one of those games that you can get a lot of fun out of just spending 30 minutes defending or attacking a Control Point. It's a great game to just dip into and the learning curve is not steep like it is in some games.

After a crap start, it only needed some time (maybe a little more time) and it will all come together. As I've mentioned before in other posts, it's not a wow killer but it certainly holds its niche and imho holds it well. Will be a shame to see it go.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 1:35PM Anatidae said

If they had dropped that would allow me to level super fast, like max out in a couple days, THEN I would try it out. Otherwise, it just sucks to treadmill to non-completion.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 4:35PM ultimateq said

You can do that on the public test server.