Posted: Jan 8th 2009 4:20PM OghmaEh said

I always thought that the reason why people hate to level in WoW is specifically because they go through the same quests, again and again. This is true after level 30 and becomes painfully obvious in the mid 40's on, as almost every quest is the same regardless if you play Horde or Alliance. This even carries on, to an extent, in Outland.

Why people don't want Blizzard to add new quests, revamp old content like Silithus or EPL and the like is beyond me. It's not like it would really hurt their bottom line to add a few more programmers and developers to add new content to the leveling game.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 4:41PM organiclockwork said

I now realized I should have commented on this part of the article and not part one, so oops.

Great article by the by.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 4:45PM Syme said

"There's something about endgame that people enjoy already."

Then why are there so many people in WoW who just play alts after they get a character to the level cap?

Personally, I don't enjoy "endgame" very much, but that might have to as much to do with pressure from other players who get there first as it does with the content itself. Once some people hit the level cap, they can't allow others to enjoy the journey themselves. Their endgame needs demand that others sacrifice enjoyment. It doesn't happen to me so much because I have stubbornly refused for so long, but I see other people being pressured to push through the levels as fast as possible.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 5:11PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This article is pretty stupid. You are comparing people that like to crack their eggs 2 different ways, like so many people have done. It's worn. BTW this comment is from the Little-Endian perspective.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 9:41AM (Unverified) said

This just sounds like another person saying 'but you said on the box I could be a hero, why do I only hit for 15 damage?!' What exactly do you want from leveling? You want shock and awe of endgame at level 5? What exactly are you asking for? The quests are too dull? You don't like quests? The world isn't cool enough to explore? What do you want instead of a "sparkling new sword"? You just say 'it should be fun' and offer no suggestions on how to do that or what is wrong with the system as it is. I had plenty of fun leveling and that's part of why I play alts. I like building up a character from nothing and helping out the local farmer by killing 10 rats in his barn really doesn't seem that bad.

Games like WoW and LotrO had great leveling experiences for me. The worlds are beautiful, the lore works to create a vibrant universe where the actors are believable. Rewards are spaced out to give you something to work for besides endgame (mounts, crafting tiers, etc.). There's plenty of grouping opportunities, plenty of solo'ing opportunities. What exactly are you missing when you play these games? If all it is is that you don't want to kill 10 rats, maybe you need to realize you're a lowly level 15 gray-wearing warrior whom no one knows and you actually need the 'sparkling new sword' and that farmer may be your window into helping out the whole village -> city -> kingdom or whatever. Put a little effort into immersing yourself instead of expecting to be hand-fed your levels with rollercoasters and dragonrides.

Posted: Jan 9th 2009 6:33PM Purkit said

I've probably posted before about my dislike of the phrase "The game doesn't start until..." It drives me nuts!