Posted: Jan 7th 2009 12:52PM TheJackman said

Again noting about Guildwars 2 :(

Posted: Jan 7th 2009 3:27PM (Unverified) said

I'm starting to worry that guild wars 2 will take longer to develobe then Duke Nukem :(

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 6:49AM Dirame said

I'm thinking they want the champagne to pop unexpectedly in the faces of all the fans.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 8:24AM MikeBIndy said

A friend of mine, a nascent game developer and cartoonist, used to call that story stuff "The 'C' Word". Content. It's the core of the thing, the meat that goes with potatoes, the creme center of the Oreo.

I play 3 MMOs currently, including the cape-fest mentioned above. In all three there is a story. In CoX it involves the drug Superadine, a bunch of rarely-seen superheroes and some people who are Lost or something. Maybe I've lost my child-like sense of wonder, but most of the NPC dialogues are either TL:DR or just plain silly. So I can't really tell you more than that about the 'story'. It's some huge, rambling, disjointed thing that makes a typical anime series plotline read like a Dick and Jane story.

I realize that MMO story writers have the unenviable task of writing for gamers from 7 to 70, with countless instances, arcs and character classes to cater to. My only suggestion might be that they take a few hints from Papa Hemingway and narrow it down to one Great Big Evil, one All-Consuming Quest (per character/class) and maybe a damsel in distress now and then. I may be in the minority, since I'm a little on the north side of that age range, but I don't play the Editor Wears New Clothes just because the story is more complicated than a 12-sided Rubik's Cube.

KISS: Keep It Simple, Story-writer