Posted: Jan 6th 2009 7:34PM JohnD212 said

I VERY much love my World of Warcraft and consider it the highest quality of game and worthy of my $15 a month...but that being said...I would love to have other high quality choices. Yes...Lord of the Rings Online is wonderful and beautiful...but its kind of locked into that whole LOTR books....I love Guild Wars but the controls never appealed to me...WAR...hmmm...no comment...so yes...lets get some GOOD competition going.

Posted: Jan 6th 2009 8:20PM wjowski said

Beating WoW'd would require the MMO world embrace such alien concepts as 'polish' and 'not releasing the game until it's done'.

Posted: Jan 6th 2009 11:30PM Graill440 said

I would add excellent customer service but Wjowski said it all. :)

Posted: Jan 6th 2009 8:50PM (Unverified) said

There's such a huge difference when comparing a console sports game to an MMO pc game.

Of course competition is good for anything, as it promotes improvements, but for a console game, it doesn't matter to a player that if a new game comes out that games player base suddenly gets cut in half.

This is most definitely an issue to MMO's, where I'm sure a large part of their appeal actually is the amount of people play them. It's not desirable to feel part of an empty community, especially when that is one of the largest aspects of these games.

People will always lean towards playing the MMO's with the most players, as it gives them options in their play experience. This is one of the many reasons WOW will dominate their competition.

Posted: Jan 6th 2009 11:03PM (Unverified) said

I think the notion that WoW needs to somehow be 'beaten' is a lousy concept that makes for ultimately rather shitty games.

Focus on polish, good games, good fun, and good customer support. Forget about trying to grind Blizzard into dust -- because whether we (the players) like WoW or not -- the dominance of any particular game at the top of the subscriber ladder is of less interest to us than whether we're having fun, yeah?

Posted: Jan 7th 2009 9:57AM (Unverified) said

i wish some one would hurry up and 'beat' wow just so that everyone will stop going on about 'beating wow'

Posted: Jan 7th 2009 11:32AM (Unverified) said

Just make me a cyberpunk/shadowrun game, id break up with WoW for something that isn't set in medieval times.

Posted: Jan 7th 2009 11:50AM Psychotic Storm said

I wouldn't mind something "beating" WoW and by "beating" I actually mean what it means in the example, a new MMO that will achieve given time the same fame as WoW for the same reasons.

WoW isn't going anywhere any time soon even if "beaten" by another game, but true competition is only good for customers.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 9:07AM Tom in VA said

The game that beats WoW. if such a thing ever occurs, will need to be both:

(1) a fun, well-designed game (of course)

AND

(2) based on a better payment model

Of the games on the horizon that will feature both, I am betting that Guild Wars 2 (buy once, play forever) or SWTOR (MT) have the best chance of meeting both criteria and giving WoW some serious competition.

As to whether they can beat WoW, I just don't know. But as long as MMO developers continue to sub-par games at WoW premium subscription prices, WoW will remain at the top of the heap.

Posted: Jan 8th 2009 11:58AM (Unverified) said

trying to beat WoW is the reason why some MMOs stumble right out of the gate. What you should try to do is offer a different experience in a different setting while making sure the game is in a playable and enjoyable state BEFORE it is released.

Posted: Jan 14th 2009 6:57PM (Unverified) said

Beat Wow.

Onlly if it is BETTER, more polished, more fun and is supported like we are used to.

I am NOT going for a lesser product.

The last 2 years we only saw lesser products, with less polish, less fun and not badly developped.

I am GLAD these newest offerings were not the instant finincial successes in subscriptions or else we would see a lot more mediocre products.

Tx, until something significant better comes along I play Wow - sometimes casual - sometimes hard. But at least I know there is quality in that game....

Because it is all about games and having fun, that's why we pay. We don't pay subs to get punished... Some people forget this.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 3:00PM (Unverified) said

i dont think wow really needs to be beaten per say but i know personally im really sick and tired of just phantasy magic and sword mmo's they all seem stayle and to much alike to be worth my money i mean honest warhammer isnt even worth 1$ a month that games so craptacularly fk'd up lol i cant beleave they actully claimed it to be a wow killer youd think theyd have waited 2 more years and polished it up alot.

but in any case i have this HUGY jones for a really good sci-fi mmo preferably with rpg elements i love to have customization, the more the better.

sci-fi + fallout 3 style standard customization charecter creator + polish = my 15 usd a month.

honestly if the game could hold my interest and genuinly be a good game massive amounts of players or not i would gladly pay 20 -25 usd a month even for a game thats just better to me then world of warcraft frankly im tired of wow but theres just no other option currently avalible.

yah i played stwg's / the matrix online / cov /guild wars/ dufus / gaia / warhammer / the lord of the rings online.. and some i dont even rember the names of. i've been looking and i know theres a want even in the wow player base i always see people talk about how tired of wow they are.

we only stay there because its the best and nothing yet can even come close.

blizzards going to lose a few people imm sure this year theres alot of games coming not to mention im really REALLY looking forward to the knights of the old rebuilc mmo.

theres Star trek online and quiet a few others coming out in later 2009.

yah sure we got expanisons in wow.. oook? but the expansions are maybe good for a few weeks then poof ur back to being super bored and just chatting and raiding and trying to make a twink.

really if wow wants my 15usd a month they need to improve some more. personally id like to see more battlegrounds alot more infact a new class's would be nice maybe like 2 or 3 hero' class's even since we suddenly have hero class's all over again with dk's even tho pally and shammys were hero class's b4 2.8 i think?

long time ago pallys were allies only and shams were horde only. and they were nigh unstopable. to much nerfing and whining and complaing goes on if you ask me im just sick of all the little kids on wow i want some mature content some blood some heads being blown up and body parts flying around kinda stuff.

i dunno i like wow its just stayle it gets interesting for a little bit at times but its just not holding my attention.

really id love to see starcraft become and mmorpg. diablo even as well could easly be a mmorpg.

man i cant wait for sc2 and d3 to come out later this year to i definatly wont be paying my 15 a month when those come out at least my attentions gonna be else where thats for damn sure.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM