Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 8:39AM (Unverified) said

I play EVE a bit but I don't really like it (not sure if I play it properly though)

I don't like the fact that there are no real physics / gravity. To me that makes everything feel fake and contrived. And not enough personalisation/customisation options (starbases, ships, etc.)

Not to mention the user interface!

I'm looking forward to trying Jumpgate Evolution.

Posted: Jan 15th 2009 10:32AM (Unverified) said

Real physics don't work in online games, actions take too long to have any effect. CCP tried to implement them in EVE, they tried for a long time, and it just doesn't work.

What you get is a vague approximation that gives you something that can be played in real-time, rather than played out over the course of hours or days for a single engagement.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 8:40AM Tom in VA said

Tabula Rasa looked promising but ended up (imo) being poorly designed and overpriced ($15/month for that? No, thanks). Also, I am not interested in what is basically an FPS online. TR had that kind of "feel" to it. From what I have see of it, Stargate Worlds is going to fall into the same trap.

TOR and STO look more interesting to me; we'll see how they pan out. Fallen Earth also looks worth a try. So far, though, the problem with the Sci-Fi MMOs thus far is that they are just not very fun to play.

(I hear a lot of good things about EVE, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.)

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 9:01AM ultimateq said

I agree with you on TR. Although recently, they have now made it worth playing.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 9:03AM LaughingTarget said

I wouldn't say EVE is dominating the market. 200,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but in today's market, that's barely enough to considered to be moderately successful. They're doing well because they've designed a one-server only world, keeping operating costs down to a minimum.

If a sci-fi MMO wants to see that kind of success, maybe they should consider the one-server only approach. Games like Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate are set in the infinite expanses of the universe. Even situated in a single galaxy, it's more than plausible to get any of them as a single server title without impacting the player experience in terms of congestion.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2009 6:57AM halfcaptain said

200,000? check your numbers. I'd agree that eve online isn't 'dominating' the mmo market, but it isn't doing too badly for a sci-fi mmo - not to mention one that has taken a pretty different approach.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 10:10AM (Unverified) said

Anarchy Online is still humming along quietly and continues to release expansions. They recent executed a full upgrade of the graphics as well.

The Matrix Online is still running, and although it never lived up to what it was supposed to be, the community is still pretty vibrant.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 11:06AM Slob Zombie said

Hold up, AO got the new graphics engine out the door? Are you sure? According to their site, the estimate I see is "Our current goal is 'Summer 2009'."

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 12:19PM (Unverified) said

My bad. I was under the impression that they had actually shipped. Thanks for the correction. Still, the fact that it's underway bodes well for the title.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 10:22AM (Unverified) said

whats with the "are scifi MMOs doomed" topics? There have been like less then 10 scifi half hearted games made vs over 100 garbage fantasy games.

Someone needs to make a few before we write them off. Not everything has to be a WoW copy.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 12:47PM (Unverified) said

Star Trek Online and Star Wars Old Republic Online in 2009 ? Are you sure about that ?

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 2:44PM (Unverified) said

Lets face it. Sci-Fi enthusiast, such as myself, want content. For a Sci-Fi MMO to be successful these days it's going to have to be a dynamic story. You have to totally immerse the player's toon into the very fabric of the MMO's respective universe. A perfect example of this would be to announce plans for a movie or a set of novels based what is happening in the MMO universe.

The other thing that needs to be done is simply advertising. You'll need to spend a lot of money on advertising to get the word out to the general public and not just the sci-fi enthusiast.

Just my two cents.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 8:47PM Purkit said

I love deep and fantastic sci-fi settings and unfortunately the most popular franchises are all fairly shallow. Most are set in dull unimaginative worlds, which tend towards rusty and depressing or sparkly and clinical. I want to see an MMO made from a book like "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge. I want to play a character made from a pack of dog/weasel aliens that think like a single person or a sentient plant that trundles around on a little cart! Sci-fi needs to be fantastic and wonderful, mind blowing and mind expanding, it should challenges your perceptions and beliefs. I've had enough of micro managing my ships equipment, shooting lasers at rocks or running around a forest shooting generic bad guy aliens like some kind of sci-fi Rambo.

Posted: Jan 5th 2009 3:55AM (Unverified) said

i've come to believe that i hate sci-fi as a genre...the only games that are O.K. are Anarchy Online,Star Wars Galaxies and sort of Eve but thats even pushing it. i feel like sci-fi is too.....well....Sciencey. Star Wars The Old Republic i'm looking forward to but only because star wars is more of a fantasy setting then a sci-fi. i dont know Tabula Rasa looked good but now thats over so the future for sci-fi games to me is looking fairly bleak...i think they should start developing a sci-fi game that has lots of fantasy elements to it such as Laser Swords,ancient priest hoods,good lore and maybe even take out earth all together make it somewhere in a distant galaxy where humans and aliens have lived together for years but because of ancient beleafs there is a dispute or a war or something...remember that this is coming from someone who hates Hard Sci-Fi and loves games and stories such as Legend Of Zelda,Lord Of The Rings,Final Fantasy,Dragonlance ect.

WoW Archivist: Epics