Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 3:39PM (Unverified) said

"if Blizzard was beyond the bounds in bringing the police into this situation - or why the police might arrest someone for it."

They were entirely right for calling in the police. Indeed, they were obligated to do so. The boy said he was suicidal, for crying out loud. And why did the police arrest him? Probably because they found he was lying and not suicidal at all, which meant that he wasted taxpayers money under false pretense.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 7:36PM (Unverified) said

As a former in-game support rep for a gaming company, the threats made by players for committing suicide is sadly pretty common. Now if they are credible or not is hard to determine, and for me at least, caused a lot of pressure to make sure everything was properly done to ensure the safety of the individual if such threats were credible.

For me, days where I received these threats were really nerve-racking and would normally result in me having to take a breather after everything was done in order to collect myself. These situations are never easy.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 8:08PM (Unverified) said

Absolutely Blizzard did the right thing, and I don't feel sympathy for the kid. Actions have consequences, and clearly that's a lesson he needs to learn.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2009 9:38AM (Unverified) said

Of course Blizzard did the right thing. Whether the police did. I'm not so sure of.

The thing that amazes me is this is not uncommon! WoW is fun and all, but to even to threaten to kill yourself over it is not right.

Of course this explains why my threat to "cancel my account" falls on deaf ears. When other users are threatening to kill themselves, simply not being a customer anymore seems kinda weak...

Posted: Jan 3rd 2009 8:53AM (Unverified) said

As someone who had a friend who was saved from himself by an action taken by a company that runs an Online game. I can say that with all honesty, I value the actions taken by Blizzard. Even for those of you who think the kid was wrong for saying what he said, and believe me I understand why you may be unnerved, but to those who think he was crying wolf you can never really tell what one person from the next will do if given the stimuli to do an act of tragedy to themselves. The Human mind, as many know, is a great tool but for some the tool can become blunt over time and must be sharpened with outside influences. I was lucky to have what happened to my friend, happen, and I am sure he will see it that way some day in the future too, as well as this kid too, but Trust me on this, the kid is much better off in the hands of the authorities taking care of him, that will no doubt give him the care and medical assistance he needs. The important thing to remember here is that when games become a stimuli and a danger to those who play, and when it becomes just as strong as any drug, it becomes necessary to gain assistance from those in the community that have the ability to help mend those who are in need of separating themselves from their virtualselves.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2009 9:24AM (Unverified) said

Kid needed help, whether thats talk therapy and meds, or pistol whipping therapy is the only thing thats up in the air.

Posted: Jan 4th 2009 2:21PM (Unverified) said

When I was a phone jockey for Verizon DSL (through Teleperformance, and yes, I have since moved on to bigger and better), we had a literal panic button on the phones for us to hit if somebody makes a threat of violence against us.

Being support for Verizon DSL, this happens fairly often.