Posted: Jan 1st 2009 8:36AM BaronJuJu said

Well, I guess all I can say is good luck...you're gonna need it. Just don't expect a warm reception back from the playerbase. His last game was a flop and appearances gave the impression he left his fans high and dry and let the game die while he was off getting ready to go to space.

Trust is hard to earn but once lost is even harder to get back.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 9:28AM (Unverified) said

I wish he would just make another single-player RPG. I loved the old Ultima games, and still play U7/7.5 from time to time. Most modern RPGs have less alive worlds than his 10+ year old games.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 11:20AM (Unverified) said

Can we please remember that this comes after the failure of the fantasy MMO, Tabula Rasa.

You see, back in around 2004, TR was a fantasy MMO; see early previews such as http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/512497p4.html . For whatever reason, but I presume because it was deemed an epic failure, TR was then completely re-thought as a sci-fi MMO.

Sure, he headed up development on the Ultima series. However, right now I see a game designer who had one good game and recycled it endlessly for as long as he could. Since then, he's had two failed MMOs, and a space trip. I'm not going to write off whatever he does next as a disaster, but I'm not exactly getting enthusiastic yet.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 3:00PM (Unverified) said

Ultima Online was a failure?

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 3:08PM (Unverified) said

No, but the first version of TR that never even saw release was. From the looks of things, they basically managed to salvage some of the server and client code, but most of the art resources would have had to be scrapped.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 12:14PM Rollins said

I know! EA should hire him to make a third sequel to UO! :D

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 12:28PM (Unverified) said

What's the new sexy-female-elf-chick-in-chainmail-bikini gonna be named? perhaps Rat Garriot's Treachery Online?

he can kiss my hairy you-know-what... I 'm not gonna give a single euro cent for this rat.

Unless he cares and does something about Tabula Rasa I'm gonna give more credit to stuff I scrape off my boots than to Rat Garriot...

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 12:49PM (Unverified) said

Mr Garriot I think the whole gaming world would like you to go back into space and STAY THERE!

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 2:54PM wjowski said

At least McQuaid had the good sense to disappear into obscurity.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 10:55PM (Unverified) said

Wow. You guys are dramatic in a way that I only thought tween white girls could be.

RG has made some excellent games. He's made some bombs. Is everything you do perfect? Was every Spielberg movie good?

I'll reserve judgement to see what happens. Not like it will be out before 2013 anyway.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 8:57AM (Unverified) said

Seriously, is there any game development company going to listen to this joker ? Anything with his name on it will be tainted and most people will steer clear of the product !

Posted: Jan 2nd 2009 12:31PM (Unverified) said

Ill tell ya, after what he did to Tabula Rasa. I will never play another game that this idiot has touched!!