Posted: Dec 31st 2008 10:51AM (Unverified) said

I have a friend who was in the Home closed beta, and he bought EVERYTHING, even the women's clothes! Now he doesn't have to buy anything, and he got all the stuff he bought in CB for free! Haha.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 11:30AM Softserve said

Home is just something I don't understand the appeal of and I guess I never will. To each their own.

Posted: Jan 19th 2009 1:54AM (Unverified) said

You'll notice Sony isn't giving any specific revenue numbers. It doesn't take many virtual item sales to exceed the revenue generated by non-existent DVD sales!

Most people who buy DVDs don't buy them at full retail price online. If they do pay full retail price, it's for a brand new release they pick up from their local Best Buy, etc. If they buy online, they are going to comparison shop for a better deal.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 1:31PM Softserve said

I'm pretty sure this is more for paying to stream a movie through the PS3, like you can on the 360.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 1:36PM (Unverified) said

Exactly, it's a press release. According to other insiders I've talked to, they aren't making much at all from virtual goods...

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 12:33AM (Unverified) said

That was essentially the point we were making in paragraphs 3-5.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 9:22PM (Unverified) said

Perhaps the point isn't that they're making bajillions out of virtual goods, but that their movie sales system is borked beyond recognition.

If you compare the investment required to make and distribute a film, in production, licensing, bandwidth for distribution, to the cost of a virtual clothing item. Well... I have a feeling the movie has significantly larger upfront costs :)

If they're making less out of a massive dvd size download that cost hundreds of millions to produce than they are out of under a meg of texture that a small design firm put together for a pittance... well, let's just say there's a problem with their business model.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014