Posted: Dec 30th 2008 4:33PM Slob Zombie said

All games (WoW) should have something like this. I hate not being able to play with friends just because our level difference is so big.

In a system like this, where levels are only simulated down, not up, are there any fairness issues that I'm not considering?

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 4:42PM Seraphina Brennan said

There are no fairness problems, but there are balance problems. One of the big disadvantages to level sync is that you can keep leveling in the same area as long as you can keep syncing down to a lower level player.

What this caused is people over camping low level areas and less people present at higher level areas. Higher levels sync down to hang with lower levels, which leaves less people at the higher levels. No incentive to explore.

But I think as people level up with the friends, they're going to be exploring eventually... plus Square-Enix will no doubt tweak the system to get it right.

Posted: Jan 5th 2009 12:27PM Bolts said

Hitting the level cap in WoW is so trivial that there's really no point in going out of your way to engage in low level content with your friends

Even without the recruit-a-friend system, you can just level a new guy to play with your buddy

If they start playing 4 hours a day and outpacing you, it'll only take 3-4 weeks for them to hit 80 anyway, and in the mean time you can hop on once in a whioe to run them through a low level dungeon

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 5:08PM (Unverified) said

Colin, I have to strongly disagree, mostly because although I have played Final Fantasy XI for a long time i still don't have really any high level jobs and it is very nice to once again see many people in the lower level areas. I will admit though the system does need some tweaking which i'm sure square enix will with out a doubt have with in a short amount of time.

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 5:12PM Seraphina Brennan said

Don't worry Colin, you know that I obviously feel strongly thumbs up for the system. Last night I actually had fun playing FFXI, and I haven't been able to say that in a long time. That small note is pretty much the only problem I have with the system, and that will be regulated in time.

Plus, I'm with you, my Dark Knight is only level 24. :)

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 6:07PM (Unverified) said

mmm I wouldn't say people are ignoring high level areas on Quetzelcoatl, most of my level syncs are 50+ in ToAU areas.^^ heh, though admittedly 30~50 (aka. garliage, crawlers nest, esat altepa) is a lot of peoples 'most hated' locations, so i'm not surprised those levels are trying to get out of those zones XD. A shame though because they are a good change of scenery.

Imho aside from making more stats scale, there really isn't anything else that should be done to the system, if they gimp it in any way (even a little more then it is now) a lot of us in the higher tears will start saying forget it and not play with our friends in the lower tiers.

just my thoughts. ^^ LevelSync system is AMAZING XD

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 10:01PM Graill440 said

If i am not mistaken AOC had this from the start.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 4:18AM (Unverified) said

Certainly FFXI isn't the first MMO to have the Level Sync idea, as Graill pointed out, but while other systems just allow friends to play together despite disparity in level, FFXI's Level Sync has solved many problems that have plagued the game for a long time and frustrated some of my friends into leaving.

You no longer have to log onto mules and do a inventory-shuffle just to do a simple level-capped task. A single player leveling no longer completely ruins a experience-grind party. One really has to be initiated to FFXI in order to appreciate the magnitude of this seemingly simple change.

Really, since the Wings of the Goddess expansion (and all the additional MMO competition), Square Enix seems to be taking the game in a direction that suggests they don't hate the FFXI playerbase with every fiber of their being.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 9:19AM Dread said

Why would you stay in the same area? That makes no sense to me.... higher levels might drop down to party with lowbies, that will get hem XP, but it aint going to get them those phat lewt drops they are used to.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 11:37AM (Unverified) said

Aww, I've been hoping for this for so long! But I think it's too late. I no longer know anyone who plays this game. Sigh.

Posted: Dec 31st 2008 1:30PM (Unverified) said

I agree, it's too late for me. I am glad they finally added this feature, but I have long retired FFXI.

Since my friends were usually lower level, I could never really play with them ...so they quit, and in turn, so did I.

I hope other developers see this and incorporate it into their MMOs.

Posted: Jan 1st 2009 8:40PM T Newton said

yes, these are the kind of articles i need to read, to make me feel better about my decision to return (in the near future) to ffxi. admittedly, ffxi is the only mmorpg i've ever played, but i absolutely love it. i love the strong emphasis on teamwork, the importance of good strategy, and the general difficulty of the game. i also love the job system (mainly how it lets you have multiple jobs). i have yet to find any other game that offers these things (some1 please tell me if there is..).

i guess my biggest gripe about the game has been partying. i loved partying, but sometimes it would be so hard to make a good exp party. sometimes you'd be missing just one member (let's say you'd need a WHM and your pty is 58-60), and the only one you see out there is like lvl 62. you'd basically be screwed. or, sometimes you'd get a proper pty together, and all of the good camps would be taken (esp. if ppl in your group don't have access to sky or w/e).

now, you can pretty much pty wherever you want (except like in like east saruta), w/ whomever you want. i think that is awesome, and i am really looking fwd to it.