Posted: Dec 18th 2008 3:04AM (Unverified) said

"Since then, and especially with the advent of Xbox Live, in-game achievement tracking has become a major factor in persistent games."

Okay, this is fast becoming annoying to me. Probably, admittedly, because I don't own, or care the least about, an X-Box 360.

Why the need to continue to push the X-Box live system as the poster child for this "game mechanism"?!

It's not really a part of any game, is it? As I understand it, it's just an overlay, or a scrapbook that you keep on the side. (Do correct me if I'm mistaken here)

Why not acknowledge a game such as Star Wars Galaxies, that's had a badge system implemented since it's launch in 2003?!

Or better yet, track down the origin of such a system. Where did we first see it, and can it be traced to the boyscouts, the military, or something else?

- Might even make for an interesting article...
But for the love of god, until persistent worlds actually have a proper place on the X-Box, why hail that, over actual mmorpg's?

Sorry for ranting.
I would actually like to see an in-depth article on badge systems, tracing it's history.

Posted: Dec 18th 2008 2:53PM (Unverified) said

It's the same phenomenon that forces every Chinese Epic film to be compared to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, despite the genre having been around since the 50's. Sorry, but the popular thing tends to claim the allegory.

Posted: Dec 18th 2008 7:57PM mandarin said

Collecting badges is fun?
Are you high?

Posted: Dec 19th 2008 6:01AM halfcaptain said

high? probably. collecting badges may be rewarding, but it's damn tedious. I played CoH a while back, and I'd pretty much only get excited about shit like badges when I was ripped after work. Still, not a bad mmo at all, and it looks like it's improved heaps since I played.

Posted: Dec 19th 2008 7:31AM (Unverified) said

I love badge collecting, the power bonuses alone are worth the effort. Also just before this article was published the badges were broken down even further into sets such as "defeats", "pvp" and "events". You also forgot to mention Veteran badges and their associated extra powers and perks and the new Day Job system. An extra boost to healing just for logging out in a hospital, yes please!