Posted: Dec 13th 2008 11:51AM (Unverified) said

I bought this game and all the expansions after it had gone down the first time (for those not in the know it can be played fully single player, it is Myst after all). When Gametap brought it back I logged in, but didn't want to spend the MONTHS AND MONTHS it takes to get back. Myst is hard, and though I love it, the one new age they put in wasn't work the work of rebuilding my Relto to my spec.

I am a diehard myst fan though so I might try it out. I only just got Myst V now, and so far I'm enjoying myself, even if it isn't the magnum opus that is myst 4

Posted: Dec 13th 2008 6:56PM Arashikou said

A complete, fully-functional, AAA MMO title whose entire source will now be open for anyone to examine? This could be huge - not just for Uru fans wanting to save their game (I can't believe this game has been sunsetted so many times... it doesn't deserve it) but for any developer looking to develop an MMO.

Until now, there's been very little shared knowledge about the best ways to handle some things in the MMO space, with every game jealously guarding their secrets in a competitive space that requires a lot of funding to enter. Certainly, Uru isn't the most cutting-edge tech, but it should still be a fascinating study for anyone wanting a primer in how these systems are architected, and could form the kernel at the core of a larger body of knowledge, much as the Quake engines have for FPSes and 3D games in general as each has been open-sourced in turn.

Posted: Dec 13th 2008 11:12PM ultimateq said

Only read the title, and WOW!

Amazing, I support open source in every form that it exists. This is absolutely fantastic.

Posted: Dec 14th 2008 5:17AM (Unverified) said

Will it be under the GPL licence?

Posted: Dec 14th 2008 10:53PM (Unverified) said

one would wonder if (given development of the protocol/server software) this could be the first MMO to have interconnected servers, each with a different world, where a user could just walk from one to the other, retaining their avatar and it's stats, rather than having to log out of one and logging in another with a totally different avatar. that could open up so many possibilities for players.

Why I Play: ArcheAge