Posted: Dec 12th 2008 10:25AM (Unverified) said

Long-time reader, first time poster, etc, etc...

Anyway, I think what Eurogamer miss about CoH is that many, many players have multiple characters going simultaneously, so these bonuses are a massive boon and it's not that odd an idea from NCSoft.

Unlike other MMOs, starting over a new toon isn't a grind in CoH and is actually MORE fun in many instances than the later-game content. I have about 10 characters I cycle through regularly so to have the "not playing rewards" in place for them is a great thing, as it means I get bonuses for the ones I'm not playing.

It sounds from the article as if you only get the bonuses if you're not logged in, which isn't true, of course. You get the bonuses on any character you're not CURRENTLY playing.

Just thought I'd throw that in...

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 3:17PM (Unverified) said

This is exactly what I was thinking. The Day Jobs don't tell you "hey, log out and you can earn this stuff", forcing you to contemplate NOT playing as a way to earn rewards.

It really is just giving you more stuff for the time you're not playing that specific character.

I know I'm a little more alt crazy than some, but I have a couple dozen characters, and am usually between 4 and 6 seriously at any given time. Well, I can only play one at a time, it's nice to know the others are building up rested*cough*PATROL XP, and earning time towards badges and temp powers. It also encourages me to spread out a little and play some alts I don't normally play, just to give my mains a rest.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 11:23AM (Unverified) said

This is one of the only Issues that didn't force Freedom or Virtue into red-line loads.... I think that sums up i13 pretty well.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 11:54AM starka1 said

"...only brings the game another set of buffs and stats, dragging it down further with numbers instead of imagination."

This pretty much sums how I've felt about the devs direction for the game. Nothing truly new, just tweaks on existing mechanics. Glad a review site has finally caught onto this trend. So much potential never realized each Issue.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 2:22PM (Unverified) said

I had the feeling this issue was more of a set up for Architect. Similar to how the second movie in a trilogy sets up the finale. Overall, I'm not displeased with it (I play many characters) but I do accept it for what it is.