Posted: Dec 11th 2008 6:59AM Ghede said

I say the ban was deserved, even if CCP knew about it. It's one thing to report a glitch and move on, another thing to report it once then proceed to EXPLOIT IT FOR FOUR YEARS. One report? Over four years? And you assume that everything went through ok?

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 6:59AM Temko said

so.... "maybe"(tm)

We shall see.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 7:49AM (Unverified) said

Cheating and scamming in EVE?

WTF else is new.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 9:36AM (Unverified) said

It's not the cheating and scamming that's the problem (which as we all know is 100% legit within EvE and fully endorsed by CCP), it's exploiting that's looked down upon.

*sigh* Guess I should buy my T2s while the price is still low. Really wish they'd implement a stock market in the game. You'd see some amazing numbers with news like this =D

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Just gonna re-post what I said on Blues:
(I am an eve online player ... well for now anyways, its becoming apparent how badly managed the game is ...)

2-3 trillion isk is the current guess.

Current guesses for real money are: ~42,000+ USD, give or take, for the game time alone.

(1 year of play time is about $150 a year, which can be purchased through ISK->Game Time transfers, so assuming all 70 characters had their time payed for by the exploit, thats ($150 * 70) * 4 = ~42,000 USD)

This is not including the extra money (ISK) made through the exploit which was used for other purposes such as high end asset purchases etc.

One more thing: As a rough guide, 300 Million ISK (the in game currency) will buy you 30 days of play time. So you could argue that 300 Million ISK is worth about $15 USD in real money.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 2:47PM Samael said

EvE Online maybe a great game, but the drama in the game world might just be too much. This game from the looks of it, is more stressful than gaming should be.

But then again I dont play so I would not know for certain. Well hope everything goes back to normal in EvE.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 3:17PM (Unverified) said

Most of the "drama" is in the forums and I see more "drama" in the WOW forums every week than I do in the EVE forums.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 3:39PM Samael said

I have never been to the WoW forums really, just played it for a bit. I guess more EvE drama comes out and makes news that others. I play LoTRO, havent seen any drama there yet, maybe if I look I will find.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 3:07PM rgoff31 said

I do love the soap opera drama of this game. This one is sounding like one for the history books though.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 3:40PM ultimateq said

Yup this sounds fun! I've exploited my fair amount of bugs or imbalances.

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 6:45PM (Unverified) said

So basically, the market in EVE has been a lie for the past 4 years, if this were true?

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 8:08PM BaronJuJu said

That was my thought. I'm a little surprised that the EVE team supposedly knew nothing of this or could not track that these minerals were being produced on such a scale that it had "onsiderable and far reaching" effects on the markets for so long.

I notice that the devs took action against the corporations that were doing hte mining ops, but what about the corporations that benifited from this exploit? You cannot tell me that all these alliance and corp members had no clue as to what was going on.

I look forward to seeing whatelse will become of this or was this the only actions CCP was going to take?

Posted: Dec 11th 2008 11:35PM (Unverified) said

For all those who remember t20/Kugutsmen days, the guy who posted this ain't no Kugutsmen. The evidence supports CCP's version of events. This guy is just some pissed off exploiter who is taking advantage of CCP's history of not dealing very well with this sort of thing to make a lot of noise.

I say post who was banned, exactly how many units they exploited, etc. Give us the Research/Statistics data, because that'll end all discussion. The effect is not devastating, the market will correct itself in short order.

Still, CCP has never really had a good, complete handle on starbases, and this just goes to show that they're still one of the most broken aspects of the game. Now that they've made lag less of an issue (finally), they need to tackle starbases in a comprehensive manner to stop things like this from happening in the future.

Posted: Dec 12th 2008 1:54AM (Unverified) said

I hope CCP uses this scandal to demonstrate a new policy of increased transparency and integrity to help alleviate the lingering concerns after T20.