Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:37AM Mr Angry said

I don't feel it is pointless by any means, I feel there is a story here and it's worth disenfranchised players getting on board with if they feel strongly that this is not a welcome introduction.

It's not a case of 'not liking their business model so don't give them money', it's a case of I was happy with it for 4 years up until today when this was dumped on the player base with little or no fanfare. A distinct difference. In the case of Bioware, I have the ability to decide before investing my time.

I replied more fully on my other post, apologies for posting similar info twice, I got carried away.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:44AM Ingrod said

Excesive gloon and doom in this answers.

Microtransaction can be too pay by hours instead of a regular subscription, how in Ragnarok online.

Or pay for new NPCs companions, new planets, history arcs or new clases, if you only play one class history and want play other you can pay in that moment.

Same dev greed is in subscription model, leveling in a neverending grinding wheel forcing to stay in game paying moth after moth, that is best that RMT?

I believe that Bioware can implement for good and avoid the complaints about unfair gameplay and "the more rich the more ubber" problem. They not are stupids. They will adapt the system to the western mentality.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:51AM Its Utakata stupid said

This remains to be seen. But as of right now...again, no thanks, until the game itself proves to me otherwise.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:01AM (Unverified) said

Not that I'm adding anything meaningful, but in case some jerk off CEO is compiling who hates this idea in games...

I hate it. I'll never once play this game now.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:04AM Mr Angry said

Phew, I'm a CTO, or I'd have my hands full :)

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:10AM (Unverified) said

And the coffin is now sealed on that game for me.

Between the ludicrous loot comments (sorry, a Jedi just doesn't 'trade up' for a better lightsaber, nor can you 'tell' Yoda is a powerful Jedi by his kool robe) and now the rationale behind them, this is certainly a game I'll pass up on.

And that's saying something. I'm a huge SW fan, SWG was the first MMO I played (which I dropped with NGE--boo! SOE) and I was really looking forward to the industry taking another shot at a creating a truly SW MMO. Unfortunately, the info that's come out so far makes it clear that this won't be it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:20AM Ingrod said

Microtransaction is not necessarily equal to sell weapons or armors, they can decide go in other direction, how in expample micro expansions for content.

Free Realms and The Agency can be a good laboratory for see how AAA free to play MMOs can work for the western audiences.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 2:55AM (Unverified) said

This has to be a joke. This will cut the games ability to hold a subscription base anywhere near WoW. Yea of course if its free to play everyone will try it and the first time you have to buy a new lightsaber crystal to kill anything lvl 5+ /cancel sub. /end of the dream. @least with your 15 a month you know what your getting. Even @ the fail level of Age of Conan i would have given this game a year. Now 1-2 months is probably the most i will play unless it literally is best mmo ever made. Hopefully this changes. I don't want to have to go back to WoW

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 7:27AM Lethality said

I agree, this is something I do not want to see.

BUt what it WILL allow them to do easily is claim a paid player base higher than WoW. They will be able to say things like "20 million players have paid for SW:TOR" referring to each microtransaction, instead of subscribers...

This is a bad thing for the genre.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 3:22AM (Unverified) said

well lets not get ahead of ourselves and lets wait for the real announcement on what the player actually buys by the micro-transaction.

while item malls or payed xp-update makes me want to throw up i could agree on a micro-transaction system for content.

bioware is the uncrowned king of huge quest dialog trees and top of the art content. what if swtor would be like a comic book store ?
you buy the game, play it for free but whenever they bring in a good new adventure you pay them a few dollar/euro for that content like you would buy a new comic book.

as i said, pure speculation till they release in depth info

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 3:21PM wjowski said

Stop pretending Bioware had anything to do with this.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 5:00AM Minofan said

I second the "the potential for awesomeness could be awesome" sentiment - very excited about this.

I've never understood the "people with better stuff than me only bought it !" complaints, since in other models people only have better stuff because they have more gaming hours than you - in any MMO with a loot system, people are always going to claim the shiniest stuff because they have time or money resources you aren't matching.

A microtransaction system should ensure a steady stream of small updates, and Bioware + Star Wars universe has almost limitless scope for this ; new planets, new playable species, new NPC companions...

Shouldn't be any problem getting family & friends to try TOR out either now, since subscription models scare / dismay a lot of people ( my brother among them ).

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 6:36AM Purkit said

I think I just throw up in my mouth a little.

The community will be horrible! I've never encountered a MT based game with anything but a cesspool of a community. Then again, its following social trends. Hey! they could allow you to buy BOTs to play the game for you. Then you wouldn't need to even touch the keyboard.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 7:08AM Dread said

Microtransactions?

Pass.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 7:27AM MrGutts said

This will be interesting.. It will be the First U.S. based MT game I think? Can someone correct me if I am wrong here?

Folks just a reminder that MT's don't "give" you the uber loot, they don't "give" you levels. They give you stuff like cosmetic based Items, health/power potions , faster running scrolls, scrolls to help you gain xp faster.. It's to help you level faster and take the boring ass grind effect out of the picture. The loot and levels still have to be earned folks.

On average you spend 170 bucks per year on one MMO, you are telling me that no one here will buy a bag a health potions for 2 bucks or a bag run potions to help you get around for 2 or 3 dollars (example)..??

The people that are hardcore'ers are going to make that high lvl in a matter of a week no matter what system it is based off of.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 9:38AM (Unverified) said

I’m not going to shoot it down yet. I’m shocked though. I honestly am. I didn’t see this coming, but John’s “off the cusp” comment is being taken far to literally.

I’d like to see how it’s implemented before I decide about the game. Since Bioware has keep saying how the game is going to be heavily story driven, I’d like to see how they implement their item mall.

Right now, it’s all speculation. But, that said I hope they have a really good implementation for this.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 10:04AM (Unverified) said

I bet it's not even going to be a real mmo anymore. No surprises there though.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 11:05AM (Unverified) said

Now I kinda hope this MMO isn't too MMOy now. Maybe if we get lucky we can have KOTOR 3 with some crappy MMOness tacked on. If it had 20 hours of good solo content that one could enjoy without any microtansactions then I'll buy it for sure, otherwise, pass on this.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 11:29AM (Unverified) said

I was already not going to play it, but now I'm extra-not going to play it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:55PM (Unverified) said

i will not make any comments good or bad about the game until i can play it