Posted: Dec 9th 2008 10:05PM (Unverified) said

If they do this Guild Wars style (With the full game available on purchase, and smaller things like the PVP Skill Unlock package, extra char slots and the Bonus Mission Pack costing a few dollars) the potential for awesomeness could be awesome.

I'm going to hold back judgement until we hear details, though. Still, the fact that we're talking subscriptions already must be a good things. :D

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:02PM Samael said

Ok I will say that if it is guild wars style I will not be disappointed, and will be playing this, but it makes me mad that they will go for RMT.

It could have potential for awesomeness if they go for the Guild Wars model, other than that ITS STUPID!

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 10:16PM Nadril said

You guy's realize that by RMT it will probably just be fluff items you can buy, right?

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 10:42PM BaronJuJu said

Man, what is it with RMT today? First SOE now Bioware? What the hell is wrong with you dev's? Whats good for Asia is not good with us.

Freakin' hell.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 10:52PM (Unverified) said

Well this seriously makes me mad... Will have to wait for more info but if it isn't like the Guild Wars model and more like most asian mmo's i will not be playing.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:10PM (Unverified) said

lets face it, in the future most people will not want to stay with one game and so MT's will be the way to go. Because then we can play more then one MMORPG and choose to pay about the same as if we paid a monthly fee for just one.

They will find out what people REALLY want in the game by having us show them with our MT's, we who pay will be the real people to listen to, makes sense to me.

In CoH if you like Robots you can pay for the extra Robot gear and you would not have gotten it other wise because the hae the time o make it paid for by us.

Next CoH is doing a Maghic kit upgrade MT based

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 7:21AM Lethality said

That's a sad assessment. MMOs should be engaging enough that you should only really want to play one.

Otherwise the thought of continual cost for them is an absurd one, no matter how the payment is collected.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:11PM (Unverified) said

I really am dissapointed and curious in the same way.I have been following developement on this game every day for the past 5month and this is the biggest pieces of news they given us so far about their game,knowing how bioware is good at keeping secret secret.Would i be glad to give 15$ of my pay check to bioware ? yes, after all the great game they made for us and the quality they made them with,i can trust them for knowng that the money i give is in good hands.Now about the fact that i would feel the need to buy equipement or weapon just because someone doesnt want me in his group because he says i dont have the required gear to play with him and that the gear required in question would be something i need to pay for,i wouldnt find it very funny.Considering that i couldnt play with someone because he dumped all his heritage in this game would remember me the very big hole in the society that separate the people who can throw their money out of the window and the one who cant buy christmas gift for their family because he must eat.And that hole is the one we are trying to keep out of a game community, that is the beauty of mmo,not beign remembered each day that you have a shitty job and you have to live with,an online community breakin the people in 2 sides (poor and rich) isnt for me.Of course i understand that bioware should neccesary understand this,and that the thing we could buy in question doesnt or almost not make a difference,as long as it is potion or unsignificant only for look gear i would be ok with that but than, how they would make money of it if the item theyr are selling are unsignificant because we must admit, a part of the micro-transaction community are just playing the games because they want to waste their money to try to be better than everyone else without working as hard as everyone else.So going back my point, this is a very dangerous game bioware is getting into because
money = power
power = greed for more power
greed for more power = getting into
the dark side of the force.

In those dark hours may Bioware
remember how anakin became
darth vader.They should learn
from his mistake not follow
them.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:12PM wjowski said

I gotta say if anyone here seriously believes they're going to save money by letting EA nickel-and-dime them to death (and yes, this has EA's grubby little fingerprints all over it, they've been wanting to do this for *years*) I gotta say they're not just naive, they're pretty damned stupid.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:22PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
People who are complaining about RMT or Advertising driven MMO's are idiots. It's a better model, allows more games to be played. Subscriptions are on the way out, they hurt more than they help.

Any who play WoW, it does both, since they have a ton of items you can pay money for and then get in game. Epics, in fact. So WoW is already doing it.

Good for SOE and Bioware, they are making the smart decisions. I look forward to playing both the Agency and TOR. Both will do quite well.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 12:38AM wjowski said

Uh...and exactly what 'ton of items' are you able to purchase in WoW?

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:40PM (Unverified) said

Our economic slowdown could take years. Companies know that and are trying to find a way to succeed in this environment. NC Soft will be riding Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 through this; and EA will do the same with Star Wars. Hopefully they'll adopt a version of the Guild Wars model. It's great value for up-front money. People find paying more than one monthly annuity to a video game company difficult in good times. RMT is a good way to survive in bad times while competing with WoW and WAR, and probably Star Trek Online as another major player.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:49PM Valentina said

Bye, Star Wars.

Posted: Dec 9th 2008 11:51PM (Unverified) said

Before this announcement, all I had for this game was unbridled enthusiasm. Now I have just lost any and all interest in the game. :(

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 12:37AM Graill440 said

Wjowski says:

"Congrats you qualify for level 2, please pay 3.95, for the next level."

---------------------------------------------------

ah, *chuckle* that was golden sir, well done. :)

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 12:42AM wjowski said

Heh, I can't really take credit for it. Lifted it from a previous discussion about EA's RMT schemes. Definitely an apt quote though.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 12:37AM Samael said

I am just sad, thats how I feel really. There was one dev I thought was beyond corruption, and they let me down with this. This is just sad to say the least.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:07AM bak said

Got to say I'm happy with this. I take my time with any MMO and can't afford or justify more than one subscription. I will play this game and keep my LOTRO going as well. I will buy the game and probably not much in MT's...

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:09AM Mr Angry said

I'm joining EQ2 for a free month I have to start a RMT hunter guild, devoted to singling out and repeatedly killing faction enemies who have decided to purchase this equipment as a result of SOE's greed, in order to use the gameplay mechanics to effect and force change in a manner that won't be effective by complaint alone.

As for Bioware, let's see what they have planned, but be warned, SOE is a testing ground here and hope you are able to reverse decisions as a result of these findings.

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 1:20AM wjowski said

As I said before voting with your wallet will send a stronger message to gaming companies than engaging in pointless 'witch hunts'. If you don't like how a company does business don't give them your money.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014