Posted: Dec 7th 2008 8:29AM Lethality said

I think Blizzard has contributed to the mentality of throwaway characters... so there are many more players with "alts". You might argue why this is a bad thing... but here's why:

There is no investment or attachment of players to their characters. These are supposed to be RPGs which has traiditionally meant improving and progressing your character in as many ways as possible. It doesn't mean, whats the flavor of the month class and what profession should I power level.

It's really taken alot out of these games... now characters are throwaways, which takes alot of the "game" out of it (there are no tough choices to make, no consequences, etc).

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 9:07AM Wispur said

I have a single Bank alt in WoW for my new DK so I can stay in Northrend and still make my monies, before that, no bank alts.

When I make a character, I see that as an extension of me, hence why I usually don't make tossaway alts, and why I despise the use of the word "toon" to describe a character. If your character is a toon, please turn off your computer and go watch your pokemon.

So, to sum up, one Bank alt in 11 years of playing MMOs.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 10:33AM (Unverified) said

I play alts for a different style of play from my main or to help fill in gaps for for my guild. I usullay try to have a tank, dps, and healer available for this. I sometimes have bank alts for checking for items I'm looking for or selling materials. Crafting is not my thing so I usually just gather and sell.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 3:49PM (Unverified) said

i have one bank char for each side i play for each mmo i play as for throw away. yes i had that problem for away but im more intrested in give people content of my char.

so i now focus on one char untill i get very bored with him then i set him aside and start on a new one.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 4:53PM (Unverified) said

I've made bank alts but don't utilize them much in WoW, generally to check a price on the AH or as additional bank space. I don't use them all in EQII or WAR - going to town in those MMO's is downtime to craft/explore or in the case of EQII decorate the house, check out guild halls, etc.

Personally I like having a variety of alts as I enjoy trying the different classes/races. I like leveling (not all of it as I'm not a masochist lol!), but some of my characters will never reach max level and will go to 'toon' heaven, others are to try crafting or level crafting skills or just to learn the dynamics of that race/class (for pvp too - nice to know what you're getting hit with!).

I also like to have alts at different level so I can group or explore different aspects of the game. Or do the class/race specific quests. I generally have one that is more of a grind to max level to experience that part of the game and the others to take the leisure route exploring, questing, traveling.

I've never cared for calling my creations a 'main' and alts as whatever I'm playing at that time is my main. Sometimes my 'main' is a lvl 20ish for weeks or a max level toon (I'm not offended by that term and don't do Pokemon!). It really depends on who/what I feel like 'being' that game session.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 5:17PM Gemi said

I personally started my MMO carreer with Guild Wars. Even though I definitely had a 'main character', I also had a lot of other characters that I played regularily with. I was definitely attached to more than just one character and could enjoy playing them fully. This was mostly made possible by the possibility to get quickly to the cap (two days of casual play to hit the max level) and the ease of getting maximum gear (max armor and weapons are basically free and your 'main' can certainly spare gold to equip your characters with even nicer and more expensive stuff).

In my most recent MMO, Warhammer Online, the situation is quite different. Due to other time sinks I don't have the time to level up a lot of characters to 40 and gear them up, since this takes a huge amount of time for each separate character. I'm basically forced to select a main character even though I don't want to and just forget about playing the others if I want to reach level 40 and top gear. That's why my highest level character is 24 at the moment. I want to play a bunch of characters, not just one. I'm probably losing out on some great content in T4, but atleast the T1-T3 areas are still fun with multiple characters.

I'd definitely like to see other games go more in the Guild Wars direction instead of the WoW level grind style. Leveling is usually the part of gameplay that people hate anyway, so why not just put a low level cap and make 90% of the content for the maximum level, instead of having a high level cap and have players ignore most of the content, just like they do in WoW and WAR. Who plays content for under lvl 70 characters in WoW nowdays? Many people rushed through WAR just to get to the highest level and ignored most of the content (even though Mythic had intended it all to be fun and wanted players to take the time and enjoy leveling).

And while you are at it, remove the damn server system in all future games and do it like EVE and GW, one world with all the players. This further allows players to play what characters they want instead of forcing them to make decisions, which the current server system enforces.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 6:38PM (Unverified) said

If there's one game that encourages altaholics to create more alts, it's CoH.

For starters, the bulk of the content was for characters below the level cap (50). On top of that, for the longest time the only way to access any content you may of out leveled was by creating a new alt and starting over (fortunately this changed with i12, so now you can go back and do the stuff you missed). Then there are the Epic Classes, which you can only access by getting an alt to 50 (said epic classes have content only they can access). And of course lets not forget the big thing that feeds CoH altaholics, the fact that they add new power sets to various classes that once again, can only be accessed by creating brand new alts.

Sure, as a CoH player I don't mind making a few alts to try different things, but at the same time it would be nice if they started adding a bit more to the end game so there'd be more stuff to do besides up and starting over, and over, and over with new alts.

Posted: Dec 7th 2008 7:31PM (Unverified) said

I have at least 1 character for every class

Posted: Dec 10th 2008 5:26AM (Unverified) said

My main character in any MMO is a Banker.

I have several high end alts that provide me with stuff to sell and the like. I used to think it was funny when people called me a bank alt, when in fact it was my main.

Before the various mods for WOW I spent hours doing my banking and listing and it was what I enjoyed. Now I get to do even more. I have had to level my banker up (now level 60) to allow for better travel between the cities and to make money disenchanting or enchanting or Jemcrafting.

as in Star Wars Galaxies, I make money, because I am a banker with adventurer alts.

Posted: Dec 8th 2008 11:19AM Dirame said

In guildwars I had an Alt for each expansion, in CoH I have an alt for every power combination I could come up with, in EVE I have a marketing based alt, in WAR I have an alt for each campaign and in Tabula Rasa I had an alt for each proffesion. Some alts are fun some are not.