Posted: Dec 4th 2008 5:26PM Mr Angry said

I think the best advice is to look at EVE Online and get into that. It's progression based on time rather than kills and is a very strange experience when you first set out, but bear with it, and enjoy the learning process. It's the kind of game you can play at the same time as other games.

I also recommend focusing on one small area of your current game an set a small but realistic goal to keep your hand in and keep it fresh. It's good to have some time off as you do come back refreshed but ensure that you have still made some progress

Also podcasts, get bored of a game, listen to some community content, and enthusiasm levels tend to go up when hearing about it.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 5:29PM Boruk said

I think you need to find out more to correctly answer the question. Is it the setting of the game (fantasy/Space) that is getting old or the MMO genre itself?

If it is the first then maybe try something along another avenue for a change...free trials are abundant.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 6:04PM nomoredroids said

I'm holding my breath for Darkfall. (http://darkfallonline.com/). Definitely NOT a clone. Supposed to come out soon but they won't say when. :(

Check it out.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 10:08PM (Unverified) said

Holding your breath for Darkfall is a surefire way to die of oxygen starvation.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 6:09PM (Unverified) said

When people say this I usually suggest DDO.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 6:10PM (Unverified) said

I've tried a lot of different MMOs and two really stood out as different in its own way, EVE Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online... both games have trials so go for it

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 6:28PM (Unverified) said

I have been harping this exact sentiment for a long time. I have not found anything in a few years that gave me the same amount of "woh" as the first games I played in the MMO genre. For me the hook was asherons call (#1). I have never had more fun playing a stupid game in my life. Then I moved on to everquest and spent about 2 months with my jaw on the floor as I discovered new and stunning vista's I hadnt imagined possible in a video game. Numerous years and a number of games later I find myself getting confused between the games that currently exist. I played warhammer for a bit but in the end it was just a slower, more cumbersome wow. The author is absolutely correct that game developers are not even trying to make anything different anymore. They are all just trying to find that one "hook" while cloning the industry leaders.
There are a ton of great IP's out there, but marketing guys can't concern themselves with creativity.

yes i am jaded hehe

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 7:26PM (Unverified) said

Maybe if you're bored with MMOs you should try another genre. It's shocking, I know, but there *are* other types of games out there. Continuing to play a style of game long after it's lost its fun pretty much matches my definition of "insanity."

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 8:24PM (Unverified) said

> Since it is more difficult to spread the word about a game that doesn't have a large advertising budget or extensive community relations infrastructure,

I was hoping you're keeping you eyes open for us, Massively!

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 9:01PM (Unverified) said

Ok, who stole my name to write massively?! Just writing this so that everyone who does know me in EQ, EQ2, WoW, planetside, Shadowbane, etc knows that i'm not in a state of 'ennui' with reguards to MMOs (hey I learned a new word today!)

I'm still a frequenter of brasse's webpage, an Everquest community leader, metalsmith and owner of www.tharkis.com etc, and dont plan on quitting any MMOs that I play any time soon!

In fact I have a recommendation for the person who wrote in with the question. I've been playing MMOs for a very long time, particularly if you count text based MUs like torilMUD and i've found a great way not to 'burnt out.' Find a group of friends who don't worry about power gaming. In the same manner that every game of monopoly is 'the same', if you're playing with a group of friends and use the socialization as the reason to game instead of the game itself, you'll find that it really doesn't matter what you're doing if you're doing it with a consistent group of friends. "Family" raiding guilds without harsh leveling / gear / time requirements are a great place to meet new people, and you'll find that many people who are avid gamers are just that... gamers. It doesn't matter so much what particular game they're playing, as long as they're having a good time with people, and if you get with a regular gaming 'group' you can gain the ability to bounce around between games more freely and with a new perspective.

Always play to have fun!

-Tharkis

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 9:37PM halfcaptain said

I am going to predictably jump on the Eve online train. I've played my share of mmos, and Eve is certainly in a class of its own. A free trial is available, but keep in mind that at first, the Eve universe will be more bewildering than exciting. If you want an mmo with the meanest, most infinite learning curve around, Eve is your game.

That said, Darkfall actually looks pretty interesting, and Diablo III could possibly kick sufficient ass, but I'm more or less done with the fantasy genre. Every cliché and contrivance in the genre is played out, and WoW pretty much shook my faith in the following that mass-appeal games tend to garner. I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just not my bag.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 9:46PM Jesspiper said

When i get MMO burnout I just fire up Guild Wars. I insta roll a lvl 20 (End Game) Character and start kicking ass (or trying too :p).

Posted: Dec 5th 2008 12:08AM Wispur said

I've never found another game that awed me or captivated me as strongly as Asheron's Call did.
If a new game with modern graphics one day gives you the freedom of character design and world exploration that AC did, chances are it'd be considered a revolution in game design.

*sigh* I miss skill based instead of level based mmos...

Posted: Dec 5th 2008 8:31AM Temploiter said

I mostly agree with your analysis of the MMO world today, but where is the improvment on the UO? I see a bunch of game (read 99%) that follow the DikuMUD/EQ way of doing things, but only EVE (and maybe Darkfall) doing the skill-based progression/sandbox route. There should be more sandbox games (not alot, just a few) where progression isn't as linear. I think the market would support this.

The sooner studios stop chasing WoW numbers with WoW clones the sooner we'll see less costly to produce sandbox games with player-created content, I hope.

Posted: Dec 5th 2008 10:05AM Thac0 said

I feel the same way as the guy in the letter. I think that the main reason i feel this way is that almost all recent games are not worlds but rather games. If you give me a skill based game that had a big open world so i feel like i have unlimited potential and free space to create and explore then the magic might come back.

I hate to be the one that says this but we need something like pre-nge SWG again. It was a world to play in, explore and make your mark upon; not a game to level in that asks you to treadmill and grind meaning less quests to an endgame that treadmills you some more for gear all the while you have never effected the world and never really explored anything besides the rails your set upon.

I do have hope for Darkfall but then again i have been fooled may times before with games like Dark and Light.

I might even say Vanguard would be very cool if they would drop the leveling mechanics and use a skill based system.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014