We weren't kidding when we said Wrath of the Lich King
would be the biggest MMO expansion
the industry has ever seen. This is reaffirmed in a recent article at Ars Technica
written by Ben Kuchera
, who writes, "This isn't a game as much as it's a juggernaut of money-making power..."
Kuchera sources info from Massively's sister site WoW Insider
, who got their hands on a leaked internal email from EB Games
detailing just how significant Wrath
has been, from a business standpoint at GameStop
. Kuchera breaks down a few of the highlights:
- The week of the game's launch was the biggest sales week of the year.
- It was also the biggest sales week ever, outside of the previous year's Christmas sales.
- The Wrath launch was the biggest launch in GameStop's history.
- Wrath of the Lich King set a new record for presales.
- Wrath day-one sales exceed that of any game they've ever sold.
See Kuchera's piece over at ArsTechnica
for more on the record-breaking World of Warcraft
expansion, and Mike Schramm's
article at WoW Insider about Wrath of the Lich King's retail success