Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 10:17PM (Unverified) said

I was in Anlec server (Oceanic) prior to my transfer to Ironclaw due to severe population issues.

Anlec was dead (the only PVP Server in Oceanic) and the irony of going to the Capital City and not seeing anyone there sucks so bad. Auctioneers are spread everywhere and you don't get the sense of WOW's Auction House crowded feel in WAR.. somehow lessens the immersion..

oh well, other than this complaint, things are good at Ironclaw and hope I will never be tempted to pick up a copy of WOLK ever (and other hamster grind expansions)

Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 10:28PM Lethality said

"it's not just your normal MMO hive of activity and commerce"

He's right. It's not those things at all.

In Warhammer the cities are anything BUT hubs of activity and commerce, and this is one of the things that Mythic got wrong. Despite the success of WoW's model, where it was clear a player hub was critical in making the game feel alive, Mythic ignored it.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 10:37PM Jesspiper said

That's because (imo) instanced PvP kills any form of world events and any community to go with it. WAR's battlescenariogrounds effectively make the world devoid of players in comparsion to other games...even ones with lower populations.

For example I'd put money on WAR having at least twice the subs that LOTRO has, yet Bree constantly feels alive and bustling. Whereas in Altdorf the NPC's outsumber the players (and I was on Phoenix Throne, one of the highest pop servers).

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 12:56AM Softserve said

Yeah, I was on a major server the first month too and I have to admit being taken aback by how desolate the major city seemed. I expected to see dozens of people running around and instead saw a handful. It was kind of jarring and certainly unimpressive in that sense.

But beyond that, I guess you could say a lot of these things about any city in any games. Isn't Ogrimmar how Orcs would like other cities to be? Isn't Bree how a stereotypical man city in the happier part of Middle Earth would be?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point, but it kind of comes off like making something far more important than it might be. I think the cities look neat, but I don't put much more thought into it than that lol.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 2:35AM Ingrod said

Yeah, people are in warcamps waiting for sieges or instanced BGs, people only visits capitals for do some dungeons. Some RvR zones are more populated that cities

Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 11:26PM (Unverified) said

Mythic failed in their design of the game world. They should never of had PvE, all questing should of revolved around RvR, and Scenario's are the best way to level, thus, it kills so much of the possible content.

Just bad design, and way too much hype, along with a lot of performance issues.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 1:27AM (Unverified) said

I've seen the cities in WoW and they are small and bland compared to cities in Lotro. Rivendell was very well done. When you walk around a city in War though, you see it full of little detail and they are a win compared to Lotro's imo. (although this is before expansion, dont know if they have new cities in Moria..)

It might be true that if you want to see it full of player activity, they should be smaller.. ..but i wouldnt have it any other way than what they are now.

I'm eagerly waiting to see the other missing cities, specially the dark elf city

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 2:16AM TheJackman said

Sorry Cities?? there is only 1 for both sides.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 5:16AM J Brad Hicks said

"I dream of The Inevitable City." It's something Chaos Horde NPCs say off and on, and I can see why; there is nothing like it in any other fantasy MMO. At my snippiest I compare it to a Lovecraftian theme village at Burning Man, but it truly is weird and beautiful.

And yeah, most of the time it's been kind of kind of empty. It got a lot less so recently, now that more guilds are level 17 and up, and can use cheap Guild Recall scrolls to teleport to it at any time. Now, any time of day or night, it's actually uncommon for me to walk through either city's marketplace area and find it empty of other players.

It also got easier to get to and from there for people not in upper-level guilds when they put Rally Masters (save points) next to every Flight Master, and it's going to get easier soon when they create separate save points for Flight Master hubs and regular quest hubs ... probably this month, no later than next I'm guessing.

It's important because the game's crafting economy is kind of broken because of how hard it is for scavengers and butchers to get to the auction house to drop stuff off before they log off for the day. They created a powerful incentive to do so once it gets easier though, and not just the possibility of profits on the auction house: rested XP is much higher if you log out in a capital city. When that comes, expect to see heavy bustling crowds in the main market square in Altdorf, and around the Apex human-sacrifice, slave market, and general commerce hub in the Inevitable City, both of which are entirely safe and entirely comfortable short walks from their respective "airports."

And yeah, I'm dying of curiousity to see what the artists have come up with for one of the other cities. The Dwarven capital isn't all that hard to imagine ("Ekrund on steroids," I imagine), and the Greenskin capital is just a dirtied-up former Dwarven capital. The High Elven capital will probably be some gleaming white Disney Princess castle complex, judging by the tier 4 architecture I've seen. But the Dark Elven capital is supposed to be the interior of, and maybe the upper deck of, a gigantic techno-magical black iron steamship the size of a large island. And that's going to be nothing less than amazing, if The Inevitable City is any indication.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 10:48AM (Unverified) said

I couldn't disagree more with the author. There is very little reason to visit Altdorf and the Inevitable City. Mythic needs to improve them a lot.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 10:26AM (Unverified) said

I love what they did with the cities - they really do epitomize the Chaos and the Empire in opposition.
This isn't a vanilla 'we're all nice but pretending to be at war game' city. The cities are serious - you might get killed you country bumpkin running around here.

Before open beta I read a review that someone spent 3 hours exploring Altdorf and thought 'How?' Until you see Altdorf and IC - wow. You can spend alot of time discovering the cities (like to rest of the game), if you chose. It's not spoon-fed to you - maybe that was Mythics mistake assuming players could/would explore more.

I hate to do the WoW comparision, but once you've been in any WoW city it's very easy to navigate and a bit on the boring side except for the AH/bank use. You don't feel any of the cities are 'big'. I have never felt WoW has a feeling of a big world. It's to easy to get around, everything is to close. WAR you feel like its big - you can get lost and attacked on the roads, you have to search for your destination. Apparently that doesn't appeal to the average WAR player though, that wants everything on easy mode.

Is the economy there yet, no but as people express continually the stress has been on pvp not econ! I've tried all the crafting professions and they do need work - alot of work - but I also don't play WAR to craft necessarily.

The changes in the pipeline should make the cities busier, but I still think they feel like cities - big cities - with all the wonder, fascination and terror a big city contains.

Well done Mythic.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2008 4:18PM (Unverified) said

I would disagree with that quite a lot, actually. WoW feels like a bigger game to me because the game doesn't just march you along a set path nearly as much as WAR does. That is even less so with WotLK, where you aren't required to do any of the zones in any particular order. Sure you get quests to go here or there, but there is no "logical" zone progression that it forces you to go through.

I will agree that the cities in WAR are pretty impressive, I was stunned when I first went to the Inevitable City, but that feeling passes once going there becomes trivialized and there's no need to wander all across it. The cities in WAR just become the same thing that cities become in all MMO's, just a place to drop things off and pick things up. The exception of course is when it gets attacked, but that's another story entirely.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 1:05AM Jeromai said

To add on to what has been mentioned, no one's talked about the randomly occurring public quests in the cities yet. Nice when people actually bother to do them, but hard if there's no reasons to hang around the city much.

Posted: Dec 4th 2008 8:47AM Idle said

Considering how I spent so much time in WoW hanging around in a city waiting for something interesting to do, I'm all for a game where I'm busy out in the world and I don't have to call home unless I have a specific purpose in mind.

WoW Archivist: Epics