Posted: Nov 29th 2008 12:37PM (Unverified) said

I don't remember ever feeling bad about something i have had to do for a quest, however the quest line you mention for the Kirin Tor was the first one i really noticed that had a very questionable moral/immoral stance.

I did however feel genuine regret when i was killing the Orcas in the north west of the Borean Tundra, and only because of the sound. The whale noise they make as i was slicing them up made me stop and think.

I still killed them though O.o

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 12:50PM (Unverified) said

What about killing dogs in videogames? It's an all too common theme. I come from a family in which everybody has a dog, if not more, in their household. So now I get to kill the feral fido's and hear them make that painful whimpering sound as I reduce their HP bar to 0.

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 1:24PM (Unverified) said

I have never felt good about doing quests that involve pointless killing. You want me to gather meat off of deers in the woods? Okay, since you actually have a reason to kill them. Demon monkies kidnaped and raped your mother to death(Oh, Sho Online! You so crazy)? Yeah, those buggers got it coming. You dropped your bracelet in the medow, and you fear one of the rabbits swollowed it while grazing, so now I should gut 20 of them so I may possibly find the right one? No. Not happening. My advice to you is the same given to King Solomon: 'This too shall pass'.

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 1:36PM (Unverified) said

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, I felt bad for killing crazed Tuskar in Dragonblight, I felt bad for the plight of the Taunka, and I REALLY felt bad the first time I hit a ram in Howling Fjord and it made the bleeting noise they make (I have a soft spot for rams), which led me to dropping the quest to get unbroken ram horns.

I think Wrath did a really good job of getting emotional responses out of people, which is a good thing. It makes the experience that much more immersive.

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 2:00PM (Unverified) said

I know of a quest in Age of Conan that really bothered me (when I played that game, which I don't anymore). It involved killing stray dogs in the Noble District for some meat vendor because he was selling rotten meat sold to him by a Nemedian and it was apparently the only way to get fresh meat. Well, the quest was really, really disturbing.

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 6:31PM EilertAlemat said

That's why I can't get my sith rep to max in KotOR. My alter ego brutally efficient with battlefield decisions and eager to fight, but I simply cannot stand and watch when little people suffer. So he interferes every time, gaining light points. :)

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 7:02PM (Unverified) said

How about we have multiple ways to complete quests?
The questgiver shouldn't care how you get them what they want, as long as you get it. Its symptomatic of the lazy writing that typifies MMO quests at the moment. I'm hoping this changes with SW:TOR. Bioware have a track record of providing multiple ways to complete quests in their games and I would expect nothing less of them in an MMO.

Posted: Nov 29th 2008 7:36PM Vundal said

God forbid that WoW becomes deep...personally i think the quest is a well thought out way to make you think your deathknight is a true evil bastard.

Usually we never question killing X mobs in mmo, we never think twice. What blizzard is trying to do is bring emotions into the fold of online gaming. The only other time in WoW i truly felt motivated and emotionally influenced was the early undead quests, where you truly realize the Undead are evil as hell.

i think this kind of emotionally provocative gameplay is going to (hopefully) become further developed in mmos. I wouldnt doubt if Bio-Ware comes through with The Old Republic.

Posted: Nov 30th 2008 6:52AM (Unverified) said

Fallout 3 is the only time in recent memory I can remember feeling bad, when my father (in game) scorned me for blowing up Megaton.

In MMO's though, when I have to do evil deeds, I just often find them funny and amusing.

Perhaps it's because MMORPG's have an extremely hard time sucking you in like a single-player RPG can. There's just too many things on the screen, and of course chat, that just take you out of the moment.

Also Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead both scared the crap out of me, something I don't think an MMO can do, cause actual fear reaction (beyond the "oh crap, giant elite boss enemy").

As for Bartle, perhaps if he is so wise, he would be developing and creating games. We've seen how other "great minds" have fared recently (Garriott, Roper).

Posted: Dec 1st 2008 3:29PM (Unverified) said

I have a really hard time being evil in video games. Usually it doesn't even occur to me. Even when I make a conscious decision from the start to play an evil character in a game like Fable, I invariably do nice things and end up reloading.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 2:30PM (Unverified) said

Wow...all these people with all these problems now...I can't wait to see them seek attention from the boards when they reach Venomspire, the stuff we do to the Scarlet Onslaught, and even killing our own people in the cages they were captures in...at least on Horde side. Alliance side probably just collects snow bunnies for an easter parade or someting.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2008 3:33PM (Unverified) said

The quest that made me feel completely evil as a Death Knight is the one where you have to kill off the prisoner that is the same race as you in the DK starting zone. http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12743 This is especially evil if you are a Night Elf. It is an awesome role-playing quest, but it nontheless made me feel really bad.