Posted: Nov 26th 2008 10:25AM (Unverified) said

I had a lot of fun in this game for 3 years. But honestly, w/ the new crop of games that have been coming out, it's showing it's age. While it may be a top earner for NCsoft, it's still has an attrition rate of about 10% per quarter.

And w/ I13 being such a let down to so many, while also loosing nearly all the PvP community that were left, I don't see a bright future for the game.

The one, and only shining point will be how quickly they can get the Mission Arct live, and power custimization. Those two things could save it from CO killing the playerbase. But, while they have a loyal playerbase, lots of those players are loyal to a comic style mmo, more then CoH itself.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 10:52AM (Unverified) said

I have the feeling that City of Heroes is living on borrowed time.

1. City of Heroes is old, and it feels and looks dated compared to the newer MMOGs.

2. City of Heroes uses OpenGL graphics, which is no longer supported in Microsoft Windows as of Windows Vista. That's why City of Heroes still doesn't officially support Windows Vista. You can forget about support for the upcoming Windows 7 operating system.

3. The player base continues to dwindle. There's less and less people playing the game, and only two servers don't feel empty. NCSoft just reported the second worst quarter for City of Heroes in player population since the game launched over four years ago, and that's before the exodus that just occured over Issue 13.

4. Both Champions Online and DC Universe Online will both heavily feed off of what is left of the City of Heroes player base.

5. NCSoft has shown that they are all too ready to pull the plug on underperforming MMOGs.

Between all five, I suspect rough times are ahead for the first super-hero MMOG.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 3:10PM (Unverified) said

Of course anyone in Miller's position is going to put on a brave face about the future of their game, but CoX is in serious trouble. They spent most of the past four years annoying their fan base and alienating their players, arrogantly deciding to get by on the fact that they were the only super hero mmorpg on the market. In fact, many of the features currently being promoted in Champions are ones were were promised years ago by the CoX team, but which were mostly never delivered. Other features they have recently put into the game are now too little too late, as most of us jumped ship a long time ago and are eagerly awaiting their competition's entry into the field as a welcome alternative. It might seem cold-hearted to cheer for a game's end, but may CoX rest in peace, for it was once a great game.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 4:14PM (Unverified) said

BK,

You know tha the creator's of CoH are the same people creating Champions Online, right? I mean, Posi and co have only really had all the power for last year and half. Before that, the same guy you're praising, is the same guy that you claim "their fan base and alienating their players, arrogantly deciding to get by on the fact that they were the only super hero mmorpg on the market". Just saying.

But, I agree w/ you about the features, and even over the past year, they've only delivered sudo versions of waht players have asked for.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 5:36PM (Unverified) said

Yeah I know Cryptic and NC used to be joined at the hip and half the Champions team was once half the CoX team. I praise their earlier work, which was basically setting the game up to begin with, but I've no praise for "Statesman" either beyond that, since he was the one who brought half the changes I left the game for. That's why I'm not even willing to give Champions a shot, either, because I suspect it will be CoX 2.0. My money is on DC Universe Online.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 4:50PM johnnic1235 said

Of course NCSoft is going to be optimistic. They habitually do that to the point of being deceitful. Six weeks ago, Tabula Rasa was "AAA and here to stay." Now its g-g-gone.

This promised-ramp up has been going on for quite some time, meanwhile, players are still awaiting the "City Vault" feature announced over a year ago.

I wish Positron the personal best since I like the guy, but players and former players have gone from "can't wait" to "believe it when I see it" to "I'll come back in a few issues...maybe."

CoX's projected progress in the months leading up to Champions Online is not promising. My own crystal ball has a much more pessimistic view than Positron's. Short of some as-yet-revealed big announcement, or an absolute failure by Cryptic on Champions Online, my money is on the CoX's competition.

Until then, it is clear you cannot trust what NCSoft puts out as PR these days.

Posted: Nov 26th 2008 5:28PM J Brad Hicks said

I think the world of the game, think it's the best MMO ever developed, and may go back when user-developed content goes live. But I must say two things about this. First of all, City of Heroes doesn't even need competition to lose subscribers, the subscriber numbers have gone down almost every month for the last two years, no matter what. And secondly, let me echo what was said above: why on earth would anybody believe anything that any NCsoft employee says about the future of one of their games?

Posted: Nov 27th 2008 12:30AM Sam not Spam said

I think there's enough room for all three games, each with a foot on the PC and one other platform (360, PS3, Mac). I also think that like virtually every MMO ever made DCU and CO are going to have problems/issues at launch, plus a ton of buffs, nerfs, tweaks, etc., in their first year. And from what I've read, I don't think liking one game will necessarily mean you like either of its competitors. Different flavor, different feel. The more info Cryptic put out about CO, for instance, the more the guys I play with went "meh."

I don't expect CO or DCU to be COH2 in any way, shape or form. Similar features? Sure. Improved in some areas? Definitely. But I've seen nothing that's going to make me want to play them any more than COH. We're still in the hype period where, honestly, any good cynic should be wondering if a given statement is going to happen or be a foot in the dev's mouth later.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant