Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:12PM (Unverified) said

That's one heck of a severance package!

Since the beginning people have commented that something about Tabula Rasa strangely reminded them of Auto Assault, and I even remember theories of AA resources being leveraged for the game. Sadly the theories are right on at least three similarities -- both games had a small hardcore following, both games were run by NCSoft, and both games failed in the end.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 10:42PM blix2006 said

• 1 heart
why do these idiots still make mmos?

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:45PM TehKlute said

Maybe one day those idiots will make a Cluedo MMO, so you can play it and GET A FUCKING CLUE before commenting.

2010 maybe?

tr

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:38PM Alarie said

They should have thrown in some Dungeon Runners paid free time as well.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:41PM TheJackman said

Lol so to not loss there subscribers they try to get them into there other games.... Sorry no thanks and no beta for guildwars 2 look like the game is still a long long time out...

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 9:21PM (Unverified) said

Very cool of them.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 9:40PM (Unverified) said

Rightfully so? If you played the game since launch but let your subscription lapse yesterday, you wouldn't get the severance package. Someone who bought the game last week for a dollar on Amazon WOULD get it since the free month counts as being an active player. (http://help.plaync.com/cgi-bin/plaync.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7036)

What a much better alternative would be is giving it to veterans who have subscribed over three months - that is the first veteran milestone after all - so that people who have prepaid or have left over game cards can continue to subscribe to an NCsoft title. I don't see how giving it to people who just so happened to be active at this time helps since it was just announced suddenly. There are probably more people who just got into it recently than people who have really supported the game.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 1:24AM (Unverified) said

They let all the beta testers back into the game for a month i stayed for another month quit in october cause i reran the 1-50 content twice that bought my total toon count to 10 and i left the game, i put in close to 1k hours for TR, 10toons to 50 and there was nothing for those who got to the end game, did howling Maw depths instance ever get added? I also Bought 2 CE for full price launch day payed for 2 accounts till march 1 as mule seller and my main account .

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 12:15AM (Unverified) said

As far as the compensation package goes I think it is crap. Why would I want to subscribe to Aion when it will be another niche market game that NCSoft will close down?

It seems apparent that NCSoft is incapable at producing games that sell but even at the most basic of marketing those games. What a pathetic company.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 5:16PM Kamokazi said

Aion has mnassive appeal to the Korean market, I think it's a completely different situation there. I would be very suprised if it has the same trouble.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 12:22AM bak said

Crap. Just bought the collector's edition on Monday for 10 bucks... Haven't installed it yet. Was looking forward to trying it out - but LOTRO and Xbox keep calling my name...

Sad to see it go.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 5:33AM (Unverified) said

Every now and then, in a rare while, an MMO dies before its time. I really think Tabula Rasa had started to find its groove. In the end it is profit margins that make or break the game. With something like only 60,000 copies sold, there's no way this game was going to hang on.

Sometimes success isn't linked to quality, and this rule works on both ends. Some games get super sales figures and some diehard fans despite having bare bone systems and lacking content. And sometimes a good solid set of features just can't pull in the crowd.

Sadly I think the biggest footnote associated with this game is the continual failures of the pioneers of MMO's(McQuaid and Garriott) to capture the market once again as they did in their glory days despite getting massive budgets.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 10:07AM wjowski said

3 free months of Lineage? That sounds more like a punishment...

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 1:48PM Dirame said

Lol I love the package, I dont play Lineage but I do play CoV and I'm always up for beta access to any game whether anticipated or not (that's how I got into Warhammer and that wasn't so bad). I love the package and getting to play Aion for one more month when it releases even if I don't buy it is awesome.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2008 10:10AM Eryxx said

I have been a TR enthusiast since open beta, and am appalled at NCSoft's short-sighted decision to close down the game.

I will NOT be partaking in ANY NCSoft "rewards" (reward, yeah right, only a shameless ploy to hook me on one of their other sh1tty games), nor purchasing, playing or supporting ANY NCSoft titles or any projects even remotely having the NCSoft stamp upon them. There's no way in h3ll I'm going to give them even 1 more cent of my money for any game, EVER.

I currently own Guild Wars, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North, but I have already deleted all these titles from my PC. Even though they are free to play, I will not even be adding to NCSoft's numbers regarding active players online.

Tabula Rasa is dead; Long Live Tabula Rasa!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2008 2:05PM wjowski said

...Someone sounds they need to take a break from MMOs in general.

Posted: Nov 24th 2008 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Show me on the doll where NCSoft touched you.

Posted: Dec 30th 2008 4:44AM (Unverified) said

Any update on the severance package disbursement?

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM