Posted: Nov 21st 2008 3:52PM (Unverified) said

No one can be surprised by the news. I played the game up to WAR’s release, and enjoyed myself. Not enough to stick around when the opportunity for something else fun came along. But overall in it’s current state, it’s a solid game.

The FPS PvP was great great fun. It just took them too long to adjust things and create new content. Lots of the things that came out over the last 6 months (new crafting, specialized weps) and what they had planned (Sniper scope, MECHs, Earth, Epic encounters) were fantastic.

Unfortunately, in today’s saturated MMO market, an eye catching solid launch is crucial.

RIP TR.

(what does that bring the total up to for this year? 3 games that closed? TR, Hellgate… and something else?)

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 4:43PM (Unverified) said

First of all: RICHARD GARRIOT IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL DOUCHEBAG.

*ahem*

Now that that is out of the way...It's kinda sad really. I had alot of fun in beta. Lucky for me a played beta and got bored before launch so I wasn't roped into paying for this pile of garbage. It was repetitive, it was buggy...it involved Richard Garriot. Yeuck.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 4:33PM (Unverified) said

I just won a boxed copy of this from Massively's birthday celebration lol

Nice.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 4:43PM Rollins said

At least they're being nice to their subscribers. Copies of CoH and Lineage 2 plus three months of each, beta access to Aion, and Aion itself with a month of gameplay when it's released? Not bad at all.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:30PM (Unverified) said

That is....extremely gracious. Kudos NCSoft for that.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 5:00PM TheJackman said

So sad just when the game started to get good Garriott quit and Tabula Rasa is History. Oh well noting last forever. I hope they finally get Guildwars 2 done!

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 5:23PM (Unverified) said

I am sad but not too surprised to hear TR is shutting down. I have some great memories from assaulting/defending control points, instanced missions and just exploring the world. The problem I had with the game, and why I left, was after level 20 it just became a grind (like AoC after 35) with not much to look forward to in a reasonable amount of game-time.

I wonder if the outcome would have been different if there was some sort of RvR like WAR (Human vs Bane) or "Monster Play" like LotRO. Imagine how awesome -- and meaningful -- assaulting/defending control points would be with a PvP element?

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 5:26PM Graill440 said

This is what you get with the release of an unfinished game. This is what you get by lying to consumers. This is what you get for beyond lousy customer service and bad rep by word of mouth.

These chump devs will never learn *(this goes for any gaming company with no brains and stars in their eyes)*, And seemingly those loyal to the game hanging on for dear life hoping the inevitable outcome would never happen. No shock here, hell they even lied by releasing statements about the health of the game as recently as last month.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:13PM (Unverified) said

Most of the veterans I think saw it coming. I've been playing TR for all of 2 months and I rather enjoyed the game. Even so, the quiet on the servers, lack of forum activity and advertising and so on were all subtle contributions to the death. When word came the Gariott was leaving, I doubted the game would make it to december, nevermind february.

Heres to you TR.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 5:58PM (Unverified) said

*sigh* It's always sad to see a well-thought-out non-fantasy MMO pass away. I was in this particular one during the beta period and didn't manage to get the time to activate my account when it went live due to First Life (tm) concerns involving family and health.

Furthermore, I just recently, during the Massively Birthday celebration won a retail copy of the game but have yet to get it in the mail so will miss out on the wonderful 'extras' they are giving the folks that were paid subscribers prior to 10am today.

I just feel this hurts other games trying to make it in the MMO space that are not 'Fantasy' setting games. Non-Fantasy MMOs have had a really, really hard time of it. Of the current ones out there only Eve Online can be considered to be 'supporting itself'. Anarchy Online is still out there, but it had to convert to a free for play model. Star Wars Galaxies and Matrix Online are still out there, but they have major Intellectual Properties behind them as well as SOE promoting and pumping their numbers through the Sony Station Access package.

Tabula Rasa, just didn't quite get the sort of toehold it needed to make it over the hump into sustainability. It also was lacking in other areas that have NOTHING to do with the community or the development staff.

But the biggest thing it suffered from is false expectations. It was promised to be a 'WoW Killer' back when it was thought that you COULD topple that giant. So, those above in this threat that are blaming World of Warcraft for TR's death are partly right. But not because of failure to deliver a quality game. That game was delivered. It just wasn't enough of a Force in the field to support itself.

I think, if it had had a major Intellectual Media Property behind it, or could have been turned into one, it would have stuck around at least to the level that Star Wars Galaxies has.

Do I feel NCSoft is doing the right thing in pulling the plug? To be honest, I'm not sure. My gut says 'No'. But my wallet will admit that it didn't pull me in enough to spend my time and $ on. But I am in no position to say, as I haven't been able to play it since it launched. I -am- going to TAKE the time to play it, even before it goes FREE on January 10th, 2009. If only to explore that world before we won't be able to any more.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:02PM (Unverified) said

Bummer, I had suspended my WoW accounts to play TR full time. I really enjoyed it, the group of people I encountered were top-notch, and also just having something NON-fantasy to play.

Spin Martin/Orion server

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:20PM J Brad Hicks said

Let's keep in mind the widely repeated story that there were two games called Tabula Rasa: a pretty generic fantasy MMO that they spent gazillions of dollars and two years to develop that never saw the light of day, and a semi-FPS Starship Troopers knockoff MMO that they rushed together in order to be able to ship something.

For no more money than they had when they started over, and for no more time than they had left to put into it, they delivered an amazing game. No other team could have delivered a game this good in that span of time. The voice acting was the best in the history of the genre, the NPC AI was better than average, many of the weapons were cool (I will always miss my Polarity Gun), and control point fights were so great they should have been the focus of the game from the beginning. I have some happy memories from it.

But the facts remained that the character classes were very poorly designed, the missions really really stank, they came up with a mind-bogglingly stupid on-the-cheap way to add other races, and did an even worse job of retro-fitting PvP onto a PvE game than City of Heroes did.

I hope somebody gives that team -- minus the Garriotts, who brought nothing but unpleasantness and bad drama to the game -- another bundle of money and more than one year to work on a game, just to see what they come up with. Or maybe Bioware can absorb the best of them and add them to Old Republic.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 1:33PM Softserve said

I must have missed the voice acting... Granted I didn't play it a lot, but the voice overs during the tutorial section were TERRIBLE. It was like they got the janitor to read them lol.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:26PM J Brad Hicks said

Oh, and I have to say: why would anybody ever, ever believe anything that NCsoft has to say? NCsoft continued to lie to subscribers about the future of Auto Assault right up until a couple of days before they canceled it, and now this? Lesson learned: when NCsoft says that they have a commitment to a game and no plans to cancel it, you should just assume that they're lying.

I wonder how much longer City of Heroes can hemorrhage subscribers until NCsoft announces repeatedly that they have total confidence in City of Heroes and no plans to cancel it? If Aion underperforms at launch, will NCsoft shills be right there to assure as that they have great confidence in Aion and to keep promising us that they have no plans to cancel it right up until the servers go dark, too?

In case you can't tell, I have a low threshold of tolerance for being lied to by corporate shills. If a game is struggling, if management is disappointed and there's a deadline to get the subscription numbers up or the plug gets yanked, I want to know that. Or at the very least, I want them to decline to comment, rather than wreck all future credibility.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Not a minute too early.

This game was destined to failure.

It's just WoW with lasers.

quests,quests,quest.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:34PM TehKlute said

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 2:51AM (Unverified) said

"I started playing TR a week ago and already I'm already enjoying it more than I did 2 years of WoW."

Nah.
You're perhaps enjoying it as much as you did the first week of WoW! - But it too will get old.
The first week of any game is always a lot more fun.
You cannot fairly compare the first week of a new game with the last week of one you've played for 2 years.

"FPS view seemed like it would draw in a few more players too. Shame on you NCSoft."

I strongly disagree.
All it does is put off the core mmorpg fans. And what are they expecting to get in return? FPS players? Seriously?!

You really think that FPS gamers are willing to trade the genre that they love and excel at, with quick, fastpaced, non-stop constant action, for another genre, with similar control-style, but a lot less action, much slower gameplay, and a lot of traveling time?

Somewhere, somewhen, some uneducated, uninsightful marketing morons made a monstrous miscalculation of a mistake.

What's next? Are they going to try to make us eat soup with a fork?

Posted: Nov 22nd 2008 4:01AM TehKlute said

Gees, talk about generalisations...

A lot of the "core mmorpg" players are looking forward to the OPTIONAL first person view.

Nothing about it will ditch the existing base and replace it with Halo kiddies, but if it draws in more players with an additional hook (there are very few mmorpgs with a good first person view) then more power to it. Nobody is expecting a mass exodus from CS to TR mind you.

"You really think that FPS gamers are willing to trade the genre that they love and excel at"

Yes, I did. As did many other WOLF: ET players I knew that went to WoW. There is nothing mutually exclusive about game genres.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 6:46PM Suspiro said

I'd have stayed if it wasnt for Dev Mana and his lack of people skills.Bugs I may put up with but not being treated badly. Happy job hunting Dev Mana. Should've stayed out of gen chat.

Posted: Nov 21st 2008 7:31PM Damn Dirty Ape said

So who's up next on the MMO deadpool?

My money is on Pirates of the Burning Seas.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best fishing?

Posted on Oct 20th 2014 8:00AM