Posted: Nov 19th 2008 12:50PM Mr A said

When he says he things western developers are learning how to make their games more palatable to Asia, I certainly hope he doesn't mean that they're making their games more like Asian games because, frankly, most Asian MMORPGs really suck.

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 12:56PM (Unverified) said

What Digital said... and plus Asian games are all about grind, LOTRO isnt. As much as I enjoy LOTRO, I dont see it doing good in Asialand :D

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 3:51PM (Unverified) said

Too bad LoTRO offers nothing that Asians want... I think they will need to COMPLETELY revamp their PvMP system.

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 6:50PM (Unverified) said

Well I'm skeptical in so far as Tolkien conciously set out to write an epic narrative in the vein of the epic poems of earlier English like Beowulf or the Latin and Greek epics. So much of the story texture, the characters and their motivations, and the literary tropes he draws upon are specific to a Western European audience. This certainly doesn't preclude others, Asians included, from appreciating it, but I do think it raises a potential barrier to its adoption.

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 8:27PM Mr A said

And, don't forget, he had a lot of Scandanavian lore and mythology in his background as well, which he drew from when crafting his stories.

Posted: Nov 19th 2008 8:34PM (Unverified) said

Quite right; Finnish and other Scandinavian languages also informed those he created for Middle Earth. Moreover, seeing how few people in the United States are acquainted with the Kalevala other similiar works, it again raises doubts about the acceptance by an Asian audience. I do hope it transcends the cultural divide and does well though; I've certainly enjoyed Japanese games in the past and I'd like to think that gamers on the other side of the world might enjoy western games in the same vein.

Posted: Nov 20th 2008 9:39AM (Unverified) said