Posted: Nov 16th 2008 3:31PM (Unverified) said

Great article Kevin.

I am at a fork in my MMO life. After being a 'hardcore' player in MMO's, most recently WoW, I was forced to quit for college as I knew it was one or the other. Now that I have graduated, I am looking at getting back into an MMO, but my mindset is still set on 'hardcore', but I'm not sure my life now can fit it in. Slowly I am realizing that I may not have to be hardcore in order to enjoy a game, a thought just a few years ago that would not have entered my realm of thought.

I know that if I am to enter a MMO with a play style between casual and hardcore, the group of friends will be the only reason it would work. You are lucky you have found such a great group of friends with a like mindset, that is the key IMO.

Posted: Nov 16th 2008 5:19PM (Unverified) said

Excellent Article.It has always been more important to me to stop and smell the roses so to speak.Being a casual player myself,I will always stop and help a friend ....that is much more important to me than getting to the end "first".

Posted: Nov 16th 2008 3:30PM Softserve said

I'm all about going my own page and enjoying the ride. I'm behind some of my friends, but ahead of others and, honestly, I've yet to really run out of things to do despite all of the hours I've put into various MMORPGs over the years.

Posted: Nov 16th 2008 3:47PM (Unverified) said

(Of course, I tend to read all of the quest text and that really extends any of these games dramatically lol.)

yes im the same way but most seem to just run pass it lol

yea i use to be hardcore but got bored with it now when i play a mmo it is with purpose beyond hardcore

Posted: Nov 17th 2008 2:09AM The Last Metroid said

Awesome read.

Myself and a couple of friends have a guild together. It's just us so far. I reached lvl 70 before they did, and I didn't bother with raiding or anything end game really. Instead, I'd run my friends through instances or helped them with quests that required more than 1 person. The game is so much more fun when you have friends to play with, especially if they're close ones.

Posted: Nov 18th 2008 11:24AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for this article, Kevin. I play WoW with my brother and my best friend, both of whom are way more hardcore than I am, and have rocketed past me in the expansion. I was feeling pretty bad about this, but your piece made me realize that as long as they're still willing to play with me (which they almost always are, unless their uber leet guild is in a raid), that's good enough for me. In the meantime, I'll saunter through Northrend at my own damn pace and savor it.

Posted: Nov 18th 2008 12:14PM (Unverified) said

Interestingly enough, Wrath appears to have ushered in a sort of Golden Age on my server (Cenarion Circle) in terms of strangers helping each other and, more often than not, grouping together in order that as many people can kill the quest mob/bomb the pirates/man the harpoons at once. I'm enjoying it immensely.

I should also mention that I don't level my main or my DK without my brother anymore. We've both got alts that we play when the other is around, because WoW is better with other people.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories